Let's talk about Hogue knives.

Hogue definitely needs to bring on a new designer. Most of the stuff Allen designed is kinda fugly.

He's a fellow Texan, so I wish him all the best, but I totally agree. Allen's customs don't appeal to me aesthetically, nor do Hogue's production models that he designed.

I'd like to see something a bit more understated from them. More Benchmade 710 and less Klingon warship.

Allen’s designs are definitely unique. I really like this one, but I can definitely understand that they aren’t for everyone. Hogue Beta-1.

C6FCF3B7-D837-4301-9733-FB362BF7DEEF.jpeg

"Cloners" is a pretty charged term to describe Doug Ritter's RSK being discontinued by Benchmade, leading to him shopping his design around and deciding to produce it with Hogue.

In case you were referring to HK, basically the same thing happened there as well.

Just because you associate something with Benchmade doesn't make it forever theirs. The axis lock is no longer patented and Doug Ritter holds the IP rights to the RSK.

Aye, the knives do tend to be a bit chunky. While the X5 isn't particularly thick, it's also pretty wide. A wider catalog with a little more variety in size/shape would be nice. Hogue has only recently (in the past few years) started working with makers other than Elishewitz, and primarily in the form of just acquiring the manufacturing rights of brands with pre-existing models. Only time will tell if they are going to expand those lines with new products.

There are some makers/designers I would like to see them work with, like G&G Hawk and Liong Mah. They seem like good fits for reasons I would struggle to express coherently.
I totally agree with you on them going to hogue,I have the new hk exemplar and it is very nice and have to say their take on the axis lock design is smoother then BM's.

Allen’s designs are definitely unique. I really like this one, but I can definitely understand that they aren’t for everyone. Hogue Beta-1.

View attachment 1160481
I had one of those. I distinctly recall the stepped primary bevels catching hard on cardboard and the handle being uncomfortable, but it was sure attractive.

View attachment 1160481

This is what I want to see from them in terms of handle construction. Their button lock with its linerless design is ideal for taking advantage of carbon fibre’s ridgidity.

Again Eleshwitz’s designs just don’t speak to me. My Ex01 aluminum felt extremely boxy in my hand and my two Ex04s handles I found to be way too bulky for a pocket knife; more suited to a fixed blade.

A cf button lock Hogue with a more Benchmade 710 or 940 or Sebenzay or ZT 450ish designed handle would be an absolute grail knife for me. Basically a knife that is actually comfortable to carry in my pocket.

I had one of those. I distinctly recall the stepped primary bevels catching hard on cardboard and the handle being uncomfortable, but it was sure attractive.

Yeah my Hogue RSK is a way more practical EDC lol. I haven’t had any issues when I have carried it, but that was me, and my EDC needs are very light duty. This model IIRC was done because Hogue was experimenting with the idea of “Factory Custom” models(alla ZT). So these Beta-1’s were limited to 50 made, and they were all assembled and tuned by Allen (and sold via his site), with all the parts manufactured by Hogue.

This is what I want to see from them in terms of handle construction. Their button lock with its linerless design is ideal for taking advantage of carbon fibre’s ridgidity.

Again Eleshwitz’s designs just don’t speak to me. My Ex01 aluminum felt extremely boxy in my hand and my two Ex04s handles I found to be way too bulky for a pocket knife; more suited to a fixed blade.

A cf button lock Hogue with a more Benchmade 710 or 940 or Sebenzay or ZT 450ish designed handle would be an absolute grail knife for me. Basically a knife that is actually comfortable to carry in my pocket.

I’m really hoping for a V4E/CF Button lock Mini RSK...That would probably be my dream Hogue...

:) I'd maybe be in the market for a Hogue axis type lock at the right price . ;)

I kinda wish some other makers would pick up on the axis lock , just for the variety . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

There seems to be a severe overabundance of frame and liner lock flippers , IMO ...gets boring ! :(

Yeah my Hogue RSK is a way more practical EDC lol. I haven’t had any issues when I have carried it, but that was me, and my EDC needs are very light duty. This model IIRC was done because Hogue was experimenting with the idea of “Factory Custom” models(alla ZT). So these Beta-1’s were limited to 50 made, and they were all assembled and tuned by Allen (and sold via his site), with all the parts manufactured by Hogue.
Yep, I got one straight from him on his site. If the handle had some more rounding and the bevels weren't stepped, I'd have kept it. It is a fascinating knife, all said.

I know Allen and he is straight up one of the best guys in the industry

What he has done with Hogue is admirable

I would like one of the Hogue Spear point X5s, but am concerned about the sharpness of the aluminum handle around the finger groove.

I would like one of the Hogue Spear point X5s, but am concerned about the sharpness of the aluminum handle around the finger groove.

In response to this concern, I just pressed my thumb against the entire blade channel and it was not sharp at any point.

I have an Examplar had for idk I couple months and I love it. Very ergonomic handle the edges are rounded unlike a lot of other knives especially in that price very range. You can press down on it in to anything and the handle will not produce pain. Very well machined and made internally perfect action and hasn’t come off center sense I got it. Upgraded Benchmade imo. Plus a polished edge out of box hell yeah. Also their serrations are amazing first partial blade I’ve bought mostly because the black serrated blade and fde handle look badass
DB72F0F4-3679-4BA8-8A3D-8D2374A1436B.jpeg

View attachment 1160481
I don t believe I d buy that one. With knives, as with most things in life, I believe simple is better.
But, I don t even like flippers! So I m probably missing the value in this one.

I don t believe I d buy that one. With knives, as with most things in life, I believe simple is better.
But, I don t even like flippers! So I m probably missing the value in this one.

Most of the value is in they only made 50 of them, and Allen did the assembly and tuning himself. It's an experimental Art knife as far as Hogue's line is concerned.

I'm very excited to get in a Ex03 flat dark earth handles. My first hogue . I already know how durable the button lock is and lately I've been getting knives with QC issues across the board.

This looks promising.

Last edited:
F64-F4-F20-D18-E-4-F1-C-AD1-B-37-CAE6-A7-B1-F9.jpg

This is my Hogue EX 03. I have owned two and the quality of both was spot on.

I have two EX-F01s. I love the handle design. The handles are almost identical to the FTWS he designed for CRKT.
I have handled the 1st EX-01s, but I couldn't get used to the way the handle tapers towards the back. It feels like it will slip out of my hand. I can't wait to get an EX-A01 with the G-mascus scales. The handles don't seem to taper nearly as much, and it looks to be a lot more grippier.
If you like small automatics, I would suggest the Microswitch.

Not a fan of the hogue folders but their fixed blades look nice and are reasonably priced.I've been meaning to get the HK Exemplar

:) I'd maybe be in the market for a Hogue axis type lock at the right price . ;)

I kinda wish some other makers would pick up on the axis lock , just for the variety . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

There seems to be a severe overabundance of frame and liner lock flippers , IMO ...gets boring ! :(
I make my Leafstorm 9 folder using a sliding bar lock similar to the axis lock. They aren’t cheap but each one is individually hand made and ground. This type of lock requires exact planning and execution to get right, all internal parts must be heat treated and the torsion springs need to be made by professionals who know what they are doing. I’ve given up on liner and frame locks, the high end Chinese companies own that market in the mid range. I have more designs using the sliding bar lock in the works. That’s the only type of lock that seems to be worth making right now.

Back