Lets talk about the 1958 switchblade act

The only United States law regarding auto-open (automatic) knives is referred to as the Federal Switchblade Act. The act regulates the manufacture and introducing of switchblades into interstate (crossing state lines) commerce. It has NO application to individual consumers, or most merchants who sell knives. It has NO application to laws WITHIN a state.

The legislation (Public Law 85-623) was passed August 12, 1958 and incorporated into law in two sections. The first section prohibits importation and interstate commerce of switchblades or gravity knives and the second section prohibits automatics from being mailed through the U.S. Postal Service.

Source is the American knife and tool institute.

So how does quantity of Chinese balisongs and switchblades get into the markets such as flea markets and gas stations?

The underground economy refers to illegal economic activity. Transactions in the underground economy are illegal either because the good or service being traded is illegal or because an otherwise licit transaction does not comply with government reporting requirements.

The underground economy refers to illegal economic activity. Transactions in the underground economy are illegal either because the good or service being traded is illegal or because an otherwise licit transaction does not comply with government reporting requirements.

I was going to say in theory based on the law any type of gravity knife from China is considered illegal. The only way I believe it's legal is if you went to China and tried to bring it back on a personal level or ordered one international on a personal level . I know customs will let you claim a certain amount of counterfeit goods for personal use when they don't suspect commercial sales.

Not if it is a specifically "banned from importation" item.

Try bringing one in -
- at best, it will be confiscated,
- at bad, you get a fine
- at worst, you get a fine AND a vacation at an all expenses paid mini-vacation

The only United States law regarding auto-open (automatic) knives is referred to as the Federal Switchblade Act. The act regulates the manufacture and introducing of switchblades into interstate (crossing state lines) commerce. It has NO application to individual consumers, or most merchants who sell knives. It has NO application to laws WITHIN a state.

The legislation (Public Law 85-623) was passed August 12, 1958 and incorporated into law in two sections. The first section prohibits importation and interstate commerce of switchblades or gravity knives and the second section prohibits automatics from being mailed through the U.S. Postal Service.

Source is the American knife and tool institute.

So how does quantity of Chinese balisongs and switchblades get into the markets such as flea markets and gas stations?

The balisongs I've seen at the local gs stations and gun shows don't have the spring in them that causes them to flip open.

I don't understand the law at all. I'm sure several retailers ship autos across state lines all the time...

Back