Lets talk GEC!

It's crazy...$$$ for 1095 spring steel

Well, to be fair, the cost has less to do with the materials, and more to do with the rarity and collectibility of them. (shrug). I'm carrying a knife in my pocket right now that has a blade made in what many would call a pedestrian steel (D2), but it's a full custom made by one of the masters and I paid around $500 for it (a bargain, since he's not making folders anymore). Anyway, sorry for the derail, I just thought the secondary skyrocketing on these TC Barlows was A. insane and B. showing that maybe these dealers are onto something by charging so much for them. I don't know what the ceiling is for GEC knives, but on certain models, it doesn't appear to have been found yet.

Well, to be fair, the cost has less to do with the materials, and more to do with the rarity and collectibility of them. (shrug).
That's true. That's also why I don't collect $4.7 million Ferraris.

It appears someone on the big auction site with several of these is marking them up higher and higher. It’s crazy how much people are paying for these. I was fortunate enough to grab one from KSF. It appears they are one of the few dealers not gouging on TCs/GECs. Hopefully that doesn’t change.

I don't know what the ceiling is for GEC knives, but on certain models, it doesn't appear to have been found yet.

I wait with baited breath to see just how much anyone values the most prized GEC. I'm shocked already... but I'm prepared to be amazed.

Rare “S” Model… :rolleyes:

vXnRumi.jpg

That's true. That's also why I don't collect $4.7 million Ferraris.
I don't collect them for a myriad of reasons, mostly involving $4.7 million :eek: If I had that much coin to spend on collectable cars I'd have a Superbird and a Cobra before a Ferrari. Not that there is anything wrong with Ferraris. The people who do collect such things don't think twice about paying $400 for a $90 dollar knife.
And since we're not supposed to be talking about the purchasing process here, but are anyway shog.gif here's a pic of a couple that I did manage to get :)
29 mailbox.jpg 86Tire.jpg

Let's just say I'm one of those people who would spend $400 on a $90-$100 GEC if it is one of the rarer, more desirable knives, but I would prefer not to do that very often. I miss out on a lot of GEC's releases, but I save that money for whenever there is a new knife I have to have.

I don't collect them for a myriad of reasons, mostly involving $4.7 million :eek: If I had that much coin to spend on collectable cars I'd have a Superbird and a Cobra before a Ferrari. Not that there is anything wrong with Ferraris. The people who do collect such things don't think twice about paying $400 for a $90 dollar knife.
And since we're not supposed to be talking about the purchasing process here, but are anyway View attachment 1494603 here's a pic of a couple that I did manage to get :)
View attachment 1494607 View attachment 1494608
To each his own...I just don't like the recent price gouging on current models.

Knife pic
uGBOwzW.jpg

Let's just say I'm one of those people who would spend $400 on a $90-$100 GEC if it is one of the rarer, more desirable knives, but I would prefer not to do that very often. I miss out on a lot of GEC's releases, but I save that money for whenever there is a new knife I have to have.

I have definitely paid more than the $90-120 range in the secondary for GEC that I really wanted. I haven’t come close to $300+ simply b/c I don’t think the quality justifies anything even close to that range. I love GECs but b/c they are fun to carry, I enjoy watching the patina form and they were cheap. That said, I also typically carry a modern folder or fixed blade for any hard use. I think the claims from dealers to increase price to reduce flippers returns is freaking laughable.

The silver lining of the unobtainability of some models is that I've been browsing new types of knives that I otherwise might not have even looked at before. I was hoping todays drop would be in the 150-160 range and thats where I set my limit. Now that I know I wont get one that frees up 150 to go to something new!

Despite having several gripes in the not so distant past with GECs, I'm overjoyed that I persisted with the most recent viper releases. I managed to land three, and while I can still find several things to nit pick about the first two, the last is likely my finest GEC to date!

Notwithstanding the actual jigging pattern, which wouldn't have been my first choice, virtually everything about the black plum viper I received appears executed almost to perfection. There are no gaps at all, the blade is perfectly straight and centered, the color is amazing, walk and talk is stout and snappy. I tell ya, this is one of those gems that make this hobby fun!
XEfLfDK.jpg

tDq9UTX.jpg

mZ4Zy69.jpg

Pretty sure I've seen some GEC's go for around $800 or so. Trying to remember what it was.. maybe it was a TC ancient scratted bone on the bay. At one point in time, before the most recent run of Whalers, they were pretty regularly sold for above $500. Beer scouts are up there fairly often. Lol, now that I think about it quite a few GEC's are routinely in that range. What you don't see very often is a TC go for $63.00 - which is what DLT is selling it for.

With all this hyperinflation of values :rolleyes: looks like user GECs are going to be a thing of the past ;) Wait a minute, that makes them even rarer :D must mean my Beer Scout Ivory Bone with several bone cracks in it is worth 6K € ;) Free Shipping though!

Back