Lets talk GEC!

I would be one of the knives from their Farm & Field Tool line, they're always quite reasonably priced. This was the most modestly priced GEC I've purchased to date.

fLjW8BS.jpg

0AYpX03.jpg
Some of the fixed blades can be found for less.

I would be one of the knives from their Farm & Field Tool line, they're always quite reasonably priced. This was the most modestly priced GEC I've purchased to date.

fLjW8BS.jpg

0AYpX03.jpg
Oh, similar to Case's Sodbusters. When I was shopping for my first US-made traditional pocket knife, I explored GEC's website but the prices started at around $80.

Thank you for this. Just a follow up question: what would be the next line up GEC's offerings, btb01?

I might be imagining it ( Stropping Young Lad Stropping Young Lad didn't remember Bill saying this) but I really thought it was mentioned that Peter's heat treats the stainless BEFORE blanking. Would 440A still be easier on the tooling than 440C if it were also pre heat treated? I've been pretty impressed with Rough Rider 440A, so I imagine Peter's could do a very usable 440A treatment.

Beautiful! I really need to get around to picking one of these up for my girlfriend's brother who is in the Naval Academy right now (as a graduation gift).

I would be shocked silly if they heat treated the steel before they cut the blade shape out of it. You want to cut out the blade shape and do most of the machining while it is in the annealed condition and is comparatively soft.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is does GEC have any traditional looking folder in the $40-$60 range?

Oh, similar to Case's Sodbusters. When I was shopping for my first US-made traditional pocket knife, I explored GEC's website but the prices started at around $80.

Thank you for this. Just a follow up question: what would be the next line up GEC's offerings, btb01?

Tidioute would be the next step up from the Farm & Field line. Single blades will always be lower priced than a knife with two or three blades. Micarta or acrylic will be less expensive than bone or stag.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is does GEC have any traditional looking folder in the $40-$60 range?

The F&F Bull Nose fit within that price range. I think a couple of the Tidioute #14 Boys knives did, as well.

mPwPAbR.jpg

The:
- single blade #47 (hayn' helpers & sheepsfoot)
- #28 (french kate)
- #14 & #48 (single bladed models) and #38 special (the three are just over the cap)
- #71 bull nose

Tidioute would be the next step up from the Farm & Field line. Single blades will always be lower priced than a knife with two or three blades. Micarta or acrylic will be less expensive than bone or stag.

The F&F Bull Nose fit within that price range. I think a couple of the Tidioute #14 Boys knives did, as well.

mPwPAbR.jpg

Oh, wow. I didn't realize the Tidioutes aren't very expensive folders. Thank you!

The:
- single blade #47 (hayn' helpers & sheepsfoot)
- #28 (french kate)
- #14 & #48 (single bladed models) and #38 special (the three are just over the cap)
- #71 bull nose

Definitely putting these models on my to-seriously-watch list. Thank you, NKBillK!

Much appreciated guys!

Oh, wow. I didn't realize the Tidioutes aren't very expensive folders. Thank you!

Definitely putting these models on my to-seriously-watch list. Thank you, NKBillK!

Much appreciated guys!
Bump your cap up to the $80 region and you get like 5-10 more models to pick from. Ones with a little more EDC friendly blade or handle shapes.

Inexpensive GECs are usually those that are not that 'fashionable'. Pretty much all SFOs get the collectors on heat: pre-ordering frenzy, then selling on immediately to those who missed out and of course, the prices go right up, often astronomically.

But as Bernard Levine says, "Read the knife" A carbon bladed Tidioute is the same knife in essence as a TC or some other special SFO, often made of the same materials etc. This Crownlifter I got in January was very moderately priced, extremely well finished and practical with its all steel construction. The dealers had examples for some weeks as it obviously did not ignite the collector/flipper lust..but it is an excellent knife both as a user or as one to keep and look at. I forget the price but about 80 or less. Keep an eye out and ignore the frenzy.

3iC0fW4.jpg

Inexpensive GECs are usually those that are not that 'fashionable'. Pretty much all SFOs get the collectors on heat: pre-ordering frenzy, then selling on immediately to those who missed out and of course, the prices go right up, often astronomically.

But as Bernard Levine says, "Read the knife" A carbon bladed Tidioute is the same knife in essence as a TC or some other special SFO, often made of the same materials etc. This Crownlifter I got in January was very moderately priced, extremely well finished and practical with its all steel construction. The dealers had examples for some weeks as it obviously did not ignite the collector/flipper lust..but it is an excellent knife both as a user or as one to keep and look at. I forget the price but about 80 or less. Keep an eye out and ignore the frenzy.

3iC0fW4.jpg
I do get this sense that market preference plays a big role in the traditional pocket knife world. And as such, I try to avoid what's currently in demand. I'm calling it the ugly duckling in the bunch, but still has the solid genes of a winner (ie, quality and durability).

That is a beaut of a knife, sir.

This Crownlifter I got in January was very moderately priced, extremely well finished and practical with its all steel construction. The dealers had examples for some weeks as it obviously did not ignite the collector/flipper lust..but it is an excellent knife both as a user or as one to keep and look at. I forget the price but about 80 or less. Keep an eye out and ignore the frenzy.

I would have definitely purchased one of the crown lifters but for the EO notch. Just a feature that I personally don't care for. If I could have gotten one without the EO notch I would have been in line.

I would have definitely purchased one of the crown lifters but for the EO notch. Just a feature that I personally don't care for. If I could have gotten one without the EO notch I would have been in line.

Ha, really? I personally love an EO notch.

Back