Lets talk GEC!

This thread needs pictures:
7gsjh86.jpg
That is such an amazing picture and so appropriate for the topic... Well Done! :cool: :thumbsup:

How about the Maher & Grosh Boys Knives? They are GEC made #15's. Sure, you'll have a small hole in the handle when you cut off the bail and chain, but that polished long pull spear and federal shield sure is sexy!! These are still available..... kinda amazed that they are; I think they just didn't get the hype. Just do a search for Maher and Grosh and you'll find em......

Minus the hole and lack of end caps, these are basically my grail 15.

11awopd.jpg

I love these and just had to buy one back when they released. I got cocobolo and love it so much. I've been very tempted to pull the trigger on an jigged bone version. But have you ever experienced it that when you have just one of something, you adore it. And when you add a second or third, the new addition(s) somehow cheapen the original? I'm sure there's a Stoic principle at work there, I'm just not very articulate. I'll have to ponder it more.

My only critique of these M&G 15s is that it's hard to get the longpull on the main sometimes due to the pen. Now, I know it's a historical configuration, so I understand why GEC/M&G put the pen on the mark side. But, functionally, a pen with the nick on the pile side would have made this perfection (but certainly not as aesthetically pleasing). Still, if I was in M&G's shoes, I'd have done just the way it was produced for the historical/visual value.

Love these M&Gs!

I love these and just had to buy one back when they released. I got cocobolo and love it so much. I've been very tempted to pull the trigger on an jigged bone version. But have you ever experienced it that when you have just one of something, you adore it. And when you add a second or third, the new addition(s) somehow cheapen the original? I'm sure there's a Stoic principle at work there, I'm just not very articulate. I'll have to ponder it more.

My only critique of these M&G 15s is that it's hard to get the longpull on the main sometimes due to the pen. Now, I know it's a historical configuration, so I understand why GEC/M&G put the pen on the mark side. But, functionally, a pen with the nick on the pile side would have made this perfection (but certainly not as aesthetically pleasing). Still, if I was in M&G's shoes, I'd have done just the way it was produced for the historical/visual value.

Love these M&Gs!

I completely understand what you're saying, but I tend to be a hoarder.... I find a particular knife I like and I buy multiples. With GEC, I dont think I've ever bought an exact double though. They always had different covers. However, I've bought exact copies of other knives.... in fact, I just did that with a Spanish friction folder. :oops: My excuse for that is that it was an add on and hey, I was paying for international shipping already anyway!

For me, it doesn't cheapen the knife. What generally happens is I'll use a lesser favorite to keep the favorite perfect but then it's not as satisfying. I'm really trying to break that habit. In fact, I sold off a pretty good chunk of my GEC's.

Totally agree with you about the pen in front of the spear on M&G knives. I was thinking about filing the kick down on the pen to get to the nick more easily but it hasn't been an issue yet.

Here is an etch from GEC that I've always thought GEC went overboard on but it was easy enough to polish it out as seen.

bk6hcUE.jpg

As long as the GEC etch can be easily removed I see no real problem but should GEC start using an abrasive acid etch that might be another story.
Even though I'm a very traditional kind of guy that has always been my favorite etch. It takes me back to the old TV westerns.

Love these M&Gs!

MCar MCar How easy is it to remove the bail/chain on these M&Gs? Can it be accomplished without cutting the bail off

I've been very close to picking one of these up, but I just have no use for the bail/chain attachment. I can appreciate their historical significance, however.

It's called flitz....etch is gone in a matter of minutes my friends!
Sure it can be taken off, but if you intend to otherwise preserve the knife, there's no way to remove the etch without removing some of the finish... even on knives with a "satin" finish. Forget about it on highly polished blades.

Edit: What I really don't understand is not giving Dealers the option of "no etch"... why would GEC go this route? Makes no sense to me. Maybe this is a way for GEC to discourage SFOs.

Last edited:
MCar MCar How easy is it to remove the bail/chain on these M&Gs? Can it be accomplished without cutting the bail off

I've been very close to picking one of these up, but I just have no use for the bail/chain attachment. I can appreciate their historical significance, however.
I believe it is just a bent wire and held in place by its own spring pressure. You should be able to just pull it apart.

The etches are why I never pull the trigger on some of the Bulldog brand knives that look pretty good (except for the gigantic ugly etches) I see for sale in some places.

I agree with you that some of the Bulldog Brand knives have some pretty big etches but I accept them because they (at least the first run) were made in Soligen Germany and many German manufactured knives had such etched blades. Bulldog and Boker come to mind.

Bulldog brand knives have been one of the favorite work and collectible knives for the last 25 years. Charlie Dorton first commissioned the Friedrich Olbertz factory in Solingen to produce Bulldog knives in 1978; and they are still being made by the same craftsmen today.

I'm fairly certain the SFO originator can request what they want with regards to etches and GEC will do it. They've done them in the past with no etch just satin blades and then there's this one that was stamped in the blade. I'd take a lot of flitz if you wanted to remove it.

All 85s here so it can't be pattern specific.

I'm fairly certain the SFO originator can request what they want with regards to etches and GEC will do it. They've done them in the past with no etch just satin blades and then there's this one that was stamped in the blade. I'd take a lot of flitz if you wanted to remove it.

All 85s here so it can't be pattern specific.

My understanding is the new policy going forward is all SFO's must have an etch that includes dealers name.

Back