Lets talk GEC!

It's a tank and very versatile.
a82hBDQ.jpg

I think it has more aesthetic than a tank ;):D But have to agree as I have one just like it, probably the best single blade workman's knife you can get.:cool: Thick scales give great handling comfort, good strong lock-up and the toughness of micarta-which has looks too. Lot better than CASE Sodbusters, Queen's Country Cousin no longer available but it is a great work knife as well, its steel D2 is a lot better than GEC's carbon ;) but even so, the GEC takes the prize!(no brass liners:thumbsup:)

I would not take a GEC over any other knife no, but I don't want to contemplate a one knife world at all:eek::D

Would be harder to say which ONE GEC I'd take over all GECs, real conflict...Probably the Waynorth Lambfoot for its aesthetics and origins but then there's the 73s 92 68 33 15 38;)

I've bought and sold a fair number of GEC knives over the years and the one standout for me is a stag 73. Is it up to the standards of an ultimate custom, maybe not. It will go head to head with any knife I own both aesthetically and practically. If it was my only knife (I hope not) I'd be ecstatic.IMG_6323-1024x720.JPG

Here’s a question for you all:

If you could only have one knife (perish the thought), would it be GEC? and if so, what pattern would you choose?

I have this sorted out a while ago. It took some years of trial and error, but I have the answer: It would be Victorinox Sportsman. Perfect knife for my needs. All the tools I usually need in package so small it fits watch pocket. GECs just get to ride along sometimes.

I took this picture on July 18th 2018 to visualize what I think of usefulness of other knives I own to me compared to Sportsman and I still feel the same.

IMG-8296-JPG-big.jpg

It is an invaluable companion for life.
20171217-113105-01-jpg.jpg

IMG-8731-JPG-big.jpg

IMG-8595-JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s a question for you all:

If you could only have one knife (perish the thought), would it be GEC? and if so, what pattern would you choose?

No, it wouldn't be a GEC. I love GEC's, but the lack of stainless steel takes their knives out of contention for single knife ownership. GEC also don't make a standard sized scout pattern, which also removes them from the running.

To be honest, as a few others have mentioned, that "one knife" would probably be a Victorinox SAK. Either something minimalist like an alox Pioneer, or an full "junk in the truck" model like the SwissChamp. I'm not sure which.

Wowwie! Look at those Burnt Sienna #29’s! Holy mackerel, they can make an amazingly gorgeous product. Hurts to let this one go.

SAKs don't count. :p It's a multi-tool. You can have as many SAKs as you want. Which knife is it going to be?

You can go and tell a medford it is not a knife...:p because it's not. It's just a sharpened prybar.

A (dedicated) knife you say... Mora Kansbol.
Kansbol and Sportsman can cover all my cutting needs.

If it has to be a folder, Opinel No.06 carbone then.
opinel.jpg

The only knife I have a backup for.
IMG-8986.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone hearing any rumors about the #92’s? Any idea when we might expect them?

I’m dying over here...

“The watched Knife Manufacturer never completes their production schedule.” - Confucius

I hope your wait will be brief, but I certainly hope #92s are being made after #77s. :p

As old adage goes: "(Your own knife made in) America first!"

According to GEC's production schedule, it's looking like the 92's are up next...

june-21-udate-6-27-406x1024.jpg

92s-488x1024.jpg

I feel like Steve Martin at Christmas.

7DDE6F69-DD39-4E5C-96AC-727BC21496D0.jpeg
Photo Credit: SNL

If I could have just one knife, it would not be a GEC. Their knives are still great.

If I could have just one GEC made knife, it would be the Northwoods Presidential.

If I could have just one GEC branded knife, I’d say it would be the 2014 78 American Jack, clip-pen combo.

If I could have just 10 GECS, 61/62 Congress and 15 a Beer Scout would definitely be in there.

3D154067-BD68-4DBD-9EBD-ADC0FB5BCB2B.jpeg

Was that Northwoods presidential made by GEC? Handsome spear and wharnecliffe combo there.

Back