Lets talk GEC!

Welcome to the club, I foolishly sold mine too. :(

Add me to the list, sold mine in pursuit of “something better”. Turns out it really wasn’t. The Pony Jack was an exceptional knife, great action & all steel if I remember right. There is a reason you don’t see many pop up for sale (other than not many being made), they were just a nice package.

Add me to the list, sold mine in pursuit of “something better”. Turns out it really wasn’t. The Pony Jack was an exceptional knife, great action & all steel if I remember right. There is a reason you don’t see many pop up for sale (other than not many being made), they were just a nice package.
Allllll so true!!!

A 68 Pony Jack rerun would be great - missed out on the first run. GEC - please keep it all steel, pen in front, and 3 pins showing on the covers (not 4!), just like the original. :p:thumbsup:

The things people focus on sometimes. I'm curious why it's important that it have 3 pins rather than 4?

The things people focus on sometimes. I'm curious why it's important that it have 3 pins rather than 4?
Like many things it’s probably not important. We also don’t need fancy handle materials, either. Most of what makes a GEC special is the aesthetic. I’m sure most people could get by with a single average rough rider or benchmade. I admire people who notice that kind of detail. I don’t think it’s any different than people remarking on a proud spring on a half stop.

Like many things it’s probably not important. We also don’t need fancy handle materials, either. Most of what makes a GEC special is the aesthetic. I’m sure most people could get by with a single average rough rider or benchmade. I admire people who notice that kind of detail. I don’t think it’s any different than people remarking on a proud spring on a half stop.

Are fewer pins better? Or does he want three because he wants an exact duplicate of the last time this pattern was made?

Personally, I favour the 4 pins approach, it differentiates GEC. Most CASE knives including large patterns are three pins.

Fact is I need a 68 WHITE OWL re-issue :cool: What I'd like this time is a run of Spears, long pull and add that 4th pin why not;)

So in the last two weeks I have hunted down two of the old wharnie patterns made by GEC. As I look these over and mess with my collection I have noticed one thing that stands out, the older knives they made (prior to 2015ish) have so much more snap! Love the bear traps and walk and talk of the older ones. They have gotten pretty week lately.

I used to own one of these 57's in coffee house acrylic but sadly traded it away a long time ago. Now I have a Kingwood in northfield trim and boy have I missed this knife.

The 89 executive whittler in primbone (looks like ivory bone to me) has been one to elude my hands until now. More pics to come on these I'm sure in the near future.

Wouldnt mind seeing either of these patterns or a white owl brought back to life.

eTq9CHv.jpg

Are fewer pins better? Or does he want three because he wants an exact duplicate of the last time this pattern was made?

Not really that important, but yeah - the original look of that Pony Jack is neater/cleaner to me on a knife of this size. I have the same weirdness with the TC Barlows…they all had 3 pins until the latest Ancient. Do I love that TC Ancient Barlow? You bet I do! :thumbsup:;)

XMJS0cs.jpg

0PdA14v.jpg

On the 44 Buffalo Jacks, the Ebony, Cocobolo, and Micarta covers all sported 3 pins. There were 4 on the bone and stag covered knives. Those wood covers might not have appealed to me as much if done with that extra pin. :cool:

ktuOmN8.jpg

I totally agree with rockgolfer rockgolfer the 57 was a great pattern. I'm trying to collect the Tidioute half whittlers.... 2 rare ones left that I may never find but I did manage this one in Green Horn.

Let's not forget the Northwoods Willammette Whittler.... on the 38 frame, basically an elongated 57.

As for the White Owl, I wouldn't mind seeing that one with the long pull spear again. I let that one go because I really disliked the bail.

I forgot to mention that I also much prefer the older strong pulls. Unfortunately GEC probably just got way too many complaints. If they ran a new 73 i really wonder what that would be like. One of the ones I used to have a was a nail breaker and took some getting used to but I did find it satisfying, especially when no one else in the room with me could open it! :D

So in the last two weeks I have hunted down two of the old wharnie patterns made by GEC. As I look these over and mess with my collection I have noticed one thing that stands out, the older knives they made (prior to 2015ish) have so much more snap! Love the bear traps and walk and talk of the older ones. They have gotten pretty week lately.

I used to own one of these 57's in coffee house acrylic but sadly traded it away a long time ago. Now I have a Kingwood in northfield trim and boy have I missed this knife.

The 89 executive whittler in primbone (looks like ivory bone to me) has been one to elude my hands until now. More pics to come on these I'm sure in the near future.

Wouldnt mind seeing either of these patterns or a white owl brought back to life.

eTq9CHv.jpg

I remember the first time I saw GEC knives at a show, handled a few, and there were a number of them that I felt were just too hard to open. Then I found this #57 split-back Whittler that has much softer pulls, and I'm happy with it. Maybe the half-whittlers are different. Are they single spring?
r7bY3li.jpg

I remember the first time I saw GEC knives at a show, handled a few, and there were a number of them that I felt were just too hard to open. Then I found this #57 split-back Whittler that has much softer pulls, and I'm happy with it. Maybe the half-whittlers are different. Are they single spring?
r7bY3li.jpg

Nice knife!

Yes they are single spring with cam tangs on both ends. The split back whittlers typically have a cam tang main and half stop secondaries.

r7bY3li.jpg
That's a beauty!

The half is a single spring. It's not hard to open just firm and snaps with authority. The new ones dont have the snap like years past in my opinion. They are smoother now and still nice just not the same

Very nice, Will, and the #55 single Wharncliffe linerlock is a very useful one as well, with the reverse of your #57 frame.
And even though Bocote doesn't seem to get much love, it can be very handsome!

L4HMgb5.jpg

4qVrGEq.jpg

When in use, the linerlock tab serves as a positive stop for your forefinger, which fits perfectly between the tang and tab.

Back