Let's Talk Zombie Tools : yes, this again

I bought it specifically for a "bush sword" type use. I'm not one of the clowns who literally believe there's a zombie apocalypse looming. It's ruggedly made, it performs as well as I expected, it can be used a machete, or for fending off any problem critters which I might encounter. Plus it's a falcata:)

Last time I looked into something custom along those lines it was waaaay more than $300 and there were huge waiting lists involved. This fits best what I've been looking for.

BTW $300 for a sword isn't that expensive compared to other options such as Albion, Arms & Armor, or Busse for example.

I'm not one of the clowns who literally believe there's a zombie apocalypse looming.

Most of those "clowns" aren't, either.

A sword is a sword....performance and quality are judged by a specific set of metrics that is not dependent upon superficial characteristics like style; and nothing about the Zombie Tools theme has any impact on their blades' function. Obsessing about the popularity or lack thereof of zombies and everything revolving around them is silly...it's people having fun - no different than the ren fair "clowns"....or the re-enactment "clowns"...or the cosplay "clowns".

I bought it specifically for a "bush sword" type use. I'm not one of the clowns who literally believe there's a zombie apocalypse looming. It's ruggedly made, it performs as well as I expected, it can be used a machete, or for fending off any problem critters which I might encounter. Plus it's a falcata:)

Last time I looked into something custom along those lines it was waaaay more than $300 and there were huge waiting lists involved. This fits best what I've been looking for.

BTW $300 for a sword isn't that expensive compared to other options such as Albion, Arms & Armor, or Busse for example.
Hmm, true enough. I actually wasn't able to find another falcata in that price range. And I suppose you can't go wrong if you're chopping hardwood with it. How does the handle feel barehanded? The micarta handle on my Junglas actually grates the hand quite a bit with a hard swing or two, so I figure it's meant to be used with gloves. Not that I'm complaining, the blade seems bomb proof and stays razor sharp for quite a while. It's just a little galling to see a small hatchet take down my papaya tree faster because the blade on my Junglas is so damn fat that it wedges in the tree a lot instead of plowing right through it:D.

Most of those "clowns" aren't, either.

A sword is a sword....performance and quality are judged by a specific set of metrics that is not dependent upon superficial characteristics like style; and nothing about the Zombie Tools theme has any impact on their blades' function. Obsessing about the popularity or lack thereof of zombies and everything revolving around them is silly...it's people having fun - no different than the ren fair "clowns"....or the re-enactment "clowns"...or the cosplay "clowns".
More like mall ninjas unleashing their inner geeks:thumbup:.

In any case, if it's sharp and doesn't break cutting wood, I figure it's at least useful for something. Even if that "something" just happens to be slaughtering a hog in close combat rather than putting the thing out of its misery from afar with a bullet. Might be therapeutic, but I feel sorry for the hog, as well as the guy who has to dig the bone bits out of the flesh when he's eating it.

A lot of the efficacy of various blades at various chores comes from the edge geometry. Put a steep convex on one of these swords, or something, and it will chop wood quite well. If that's your metric, just change the edge, and you'll see different performance. But you'll lose out on other aspects of cutting performance.

As for costs, well, I don't generally even charge labor for my blades. Most of them are offered at cost for me, or pennies on the hour. I'd be able to reduce costs if I made knives in greater bulk, but as is, I don't generally make much at all, and that's assuming I sell anything. I've got a few up at cost or below, and haven't been able to move them, which means no more steel for further projects for now. And even then, swords are spendy.

Consider: A sheet of CPM 3V big enough to cut a 36" curved blade out costs over 200 dollars by itself, not including the roughly 40 dollars it costs to ship a big heavy chunk of steel. So depending on what you're looking at for a khukuri, you'd be looking at maybe 100-120 in costs to get the steel to your door at minimum. Realistically, probably more. My last sheet of 36" 3V cost me almost 300 bucks shipped, and I got ONE sword and a few smaller blades out of that. Then you've got the costs in belts. Belts are generally 6-8 bucks apiece, and I can easily go through 3 belts of various grits working on 3V. Plus shipping, at roughly another 6-8 bucks. So you're looking at around 24-30 dollars for belt costs. Pins, drill bits, epoxy, sandpaper, and other similar consumables may add on another 5. Then you've got to ship it out for heat treat. Peters charges 25 per blade up to 100 bucks plus shipping there and back. Even if you're shipping 10+ blades (which reduces costs, but requires you to buy more steel up front), you're still looking at 160-180 in shipping and heat treat. Then you've got the cost of the wood. Stabilized wood can run up to 70-100 bucks if you want a long piece, but you're looking at 30+ at minimum. G10 is a little cheaper, but not a whole lot unless you buy in bulk, which increases your costs up front. If you're using metals for the guard, you may be tacking on even more. So you're looking at around 400-500 bucks in costs alone for an 18" khukuri with stabilized wood handles done from CPM 3V if you're a small scale producer like myself. More for a sword. And then you still have to ship the thing to the customer. Oh, and they probably want a sheath. If you use cheap leather, you may keep your costs to another 100 bucks. So there's your 500 to 600 range right there, and you're not even paying the maker for his time.

Thing is, for small scale operations like those of many custom makers, shipping alone accounts for a LOT of money that you as the end-user don't think about. Some of us just can't afford to buy in bulk, particularly not offering our blades at cost, and premium materials and such are spendy as well. It's easy to look at big-scale producers that do their own heat treat in house and buy in massive bulk and say that a custom maker should be able to make something for not much more, but the fact of the matter is, those factory operations are likely making more profit per blade than many a custom maker, even at the lower price point. And they use much cheaper steels. a 36" chunk of 1080 or 1060 would cost only 60-80 bucks before shipping, where 3V is 2-3 times as much. And it's a lot easier to heat treat in house to boot.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!! I'M SO TIRED OF WAITING!!

It has been 12 days since i paid for my Deuce 2... i ordered a FULL SATIN deuce and i want the damned thing NOW!

GIMME MY SHARP THING!

By the way CF you really should be charging at least minimum wage for labor. At this point, you're turning out consistently high quality gear even if you are still working on fit/finish.

A problem with using 1095 for this application is that the steel tends to be too brittle and will snap if it is embedded in a body traveling away from you which you are moving in another trying to get your blade back.
Where do you get this shi... umm, stuff?

I have a reaver cleaver. I bought it after I watched Skalingrim (sp) on YouTube do a destruction test on one. It is beautiful and chops like a beast. The quality of the finish, grind, handle wrap, sheath, etc. is super. It is one of those blades that is fun to just look at or fondle :)
I think they are overlooked because of the "ZombieTools" moniker. It kind of implies cheap junk and this weapon does NOT fit that bill. It is amazing. The balance point is perfect and the steel is a great one for swords; great flex and decent temper make this withstand shocks and flex instead of break. One problem is that it is a bit heavy; some of you may not find this an issue. The weight adds to it's overall cutting ability. It not only looks wicked, it would be a fearsome thing to drop accidentally on your foot or leg :p
I think the quality makes it well worth the cost, which as others have stated, would probably be more by another maker and is certain to go up in value once this company is discovered. Check out YouTube for some Zombie Tools demos. I would recommend any of their blades!

Last edited:
Wakizashi swords are nice for indoor swinging and avoid hitting the ceilings, door frames, or walls. There are allot of em; I like the cold steel warrior version. You should never use a sword to chop down a tree...they are for slicing flesh. Use a axe or cleaver for cutting down trees! Save the sword blade for cutting/slashing appropriate materials (like burglers if you don't have a gun). :) I have a bark river bravo 2 for closer quarters and several "last ditch" hideout knives for emergencies.
Zombies are fun fantasy projects but they will never happen (as in really dead people coming back) but one good thing all the zombie preppers and the zombie believers do accomplish: They will be prepared for the real emergencies from natural disasters to home invasions, etc.

A lot of the efficacy of various blades at various chores comes from the edge geometry. Put a steep convex on one of these swords, or something, and it will chop wood quite well. If that's your metric, just change the edge, and you'll see different performance. But you'll lose out on other aspects of cutting performance.

As for costs, well, I don't generally even charge labor for my blades. Most of them are offered at cost for me, or pennies on the hour. I'd be able to reduce costs if I made knives in greater bulk, but as is, I don't generally make much at all, and that's assuming I sell anything. I've got a few up at cost or below, and haven't been able to move them, which means no more steel for further projects for now. And even then, swords are spendy.

Consider: A sheet of CPM 3V big enough to cut a 36" curved blade out costs over 200 dollars by itself, not including the roughly 40 dollars it costs to ship a big heavy chunk of steel. So depending on what you're looking at for a khukuri, you'd be looking at maybe 100-120 in costs to get the steel to your door at minimum. Realistically, probably more. My last sheet of 36" 3V cost me almost 300 bucks shipped, and I got ONE sword and a few smaller blades out of that. Then you've got the costs in belts. Belts are generally 6-8 bucks apiece, and I can easily go through 3 belts of various grits working on 3V. Plus shipping, at roughly another 6-8 bucks. So you're looking at around 24-30 dollars for belt costs. Pins, drill bits, epoxy, sandpaper, and other similar consumables may add on another 5. Then you've got to ship it out for heat treat. Peters charges 25 per blade up to 100 bucks plus shipping there and back. Even if you're shipping 10+ blades (which reduces costs, but requires you to buy more steel up front), you're still looking at 160-180 in shipping and heat treat. Then you've got the cost of the wood. Stabilized wood can run up to 70-100 bucks if you want a long piece, but you're looking at 30+ at minimum. G10 is a little cheaper, but not a whole lot unless you buy in bulk, which increases your costs up front. If you're using metals for the guard, you may be tacking on even more. So you're looking at around 400-500 bucks in costs alone for an 18" khukuri with stabilized wood handles done from CPM 3V if you're a small scale producer like myself. More for a sword. And then you still have to ship the thing to the customer. Oh, and they probably want a sheath. If you use cheap leather, you may keep your costs to another 100 bucks. So there's your 500 to 600 range right there, and you're not even paying the maker for his time.

Thing is, for small scale operations like those of many custom makers, shipping alone accounts for a LOT of money that you as the end-user don't think about. Some of us just can't afford to buy in bulk, particularly not offering our blades at cost, and premium materials and such are spendy as well. It's easy to look at big-scale producers that do their own heat treat in house and buy in massive bulk and say that a custom maker should be able to make something for not much more, but the fact of the matter is, those factory operations are likely making more profit per blade than many a custom maker, even at the lower price point. And they use much cheaper steels. a 36" chunk of 1080 or 1060 would cost only 60-80 bucks before shipping, where 3V is 2-3 times as much. And it's a lot easier to heat treat in house to boot.
You said a mouth full there buddy !! People don't understand what it takes to put these blades out !

Ordered myself a d'Capitan today. I didn't take these guys seriously when I first saw them, but I like the direction some of their designs have taken.

I just happen to be a few miles up the road from ZT... have seen a lot of their work and processes... for what I call mid-tech+ production blades these guys make a good blade for the money. As already stated, tough blades that perform as advertised.

For me, Zombie Tools is a mixed bag of nuts. I collect mostly higher end production medieval swords and my Japanese style swords are mostly Hanwei and Dynasty Forge.

I have a soft spot for functional fantasy swords to a small degree. CF, John Lundemo and Rob Miller have filled this desire for the most part. There is not much in the production market to pick from and many advertised functional fantasy swords are crap. I have owned some of them. ;-)

I think that ZT fills this gap to a certain extent. Their models do not exhibit the properties we would look for in traditional reproductions for the most part but are functional and fit into the fantasy theme that is lacking in the production market for a reasonable price.

I currently own the Apokatana and Zakasushi. I used to own the Ferrous Wolf but sold it as I could not bond with it.

I have the Vakra and the d'capitan and still I believe that a flame thrower is the answer to Any problem.

He called it... bullshit is bullshit

I have edited the post due to the confusion of the matter. I was only conveying that something that is moving [i.e. predators with two legs or more], will not let you just swing and cleave it in two. Most people do not have the hand and eye coordination to do what must be done to dispatch a moving target with a blade like one from Zombie Tools or anything possessing authentic weight for a sword.

Regarding my 1095 comment, it IS usually too brittle to stand much in terms of what we would think of as abuse: hitting the side of buildings, concrete, brick, rocks, the ground, etc. All of these things surround us, typically. In an environment where we would theoretically encounter a two-legged face-eater, it would be urban and surrounded by all of the aforementioned materials for us to hit [along with or instead of] what we are trying to send to hell.

You'll probably still call B.S. , but so what? Movies are real, reality is false and humans are targeted for extinction. :p

Last edited:
Not trying to be a smartass, but there was quite a bit of wood and stone construction during the heyday of the sword, but they still seemed to do quite well. ;)

@kaotikross

Who is really as skilled at swordplay these days? The issue isn't really the steel, it was actually crappier back then. The people who used them were usually trained from a young age. What culture can you name that just let people pick up swords and use them with little to no training?

Back