Letter from Kathmandu

I just got this email from Steve in Kathmandu:

"Dear Bill,

"There does seem to be some indications that special forces are here, and perhaps have been for a long time. Being where it is between China, India, Pakistan etc. this has long been an area of importance in the inteligence community.

"Most of the more advanced weapons the Maoists are using have been looted from the Police and Army in previous attacks and are often turned against less well equiped posts later. It seems to me that the armoury in these bases ought to be wired for complete destruction in the event that the base is over run, to keep the weapons from falling into the wrong hands, but what do I know.

"Finally they anounced a 5 million rupee reward for some of the top Maoist Cadres... Dead or Alive. This was real late coming in my opinion. Also for the first time they released a lot of pictures of "wanted" higher ranking Maoists this week... also long over due.

"One thing to keep in mind is that things are often not at all what they might appear to be over here. The power structure and aliances can be very convoluted, and responses to threats can be harsh indeed. We can only hope that the good guys will win. The walls have ears and eyes. So caution is necessary every step of the way. There are a lot of secrets. That is one of the only things that is clear.

"The good news is that so far during the strike there have been no incidents here in town.

Steve"

He was also very excited about the report from the Bush administration and the $20 million aid to Nepal. Maybe Bush is serious about quelling terrorism. He sure seems to be.

Makes me proud. It is time that America started getting out of this isolationism.
Bill

I heard the rewards announcement on Radio Nepal yesterday. 5 million NC is about 64,000 USD at the present exchange rate and that is very serious money in Nepal.

The US forces are going to be facing the same things they faced in Nam only transplanted from jungle to mountains. You can't tell the bad guys from the good and there's millions of places for them to hide.

As mentioned, if the US, UK and Indians go at it rigorously 90% of the country can be under 90% control in a couple of months and that's a big plus. But, the downside is I see a continuing guerilla war going on for years as I think it will in Afghanistan and other places.

I would say right off hand, that if the good book
is telling the truth about the Lord coming down here and straightening this mess out. It looks to me like when he gets here he's going to be one mad Dude. :D

Makes me proud. It is time that America started getting out of this isolationism.

I agree, but expect flak from the far left as usual--including "allies" that fit that description.

But, the downside is I see a continuing guerilla war going on for years as I think it will in Afghanistan and other places.

I hope not, but expect you're right:( I just hope we learned how NOT to fight a guerilla war from Nam.

The answer to the long term problem in Nepal seems to be some good old american snipers taking out the head badguys , along with Native born Gorkha's doing what only they can do . As soon as the population sees that they don't have to be afraid of these Maoist , I belive that the end will come quickly . From all reports that I have seen , the maoist don't have a very large backing in the general public , backing derived from threats and fear fades quickly and turns to resentment and revenge when the opertunity is presented .

Originally posted by Pappy
I would say right off hand, that if the good book
is telling the truth about the Lord coming down here and straightening this mess out. It looks to me like when he gets here he's going to be one mad Dude. :D

But the real question everyone's asking is, when he comes

WHAT KIND OF KHUK WILL HE BE PACKING?
:D :D :D :D

(I know this isn't funny, but all we can really do is laugh and pray)

It seems the situation is turning around. Stay on the congressional emails, call your represenatatives. Be a squeaky wheel!

Back