Letter From Our Med Student In Latvia

I recieved this letter in the regular mail from Ram in Latvia. I thought I would pass it along. Thought if we all pitch in a little bit everymonth we can get this kid through med school without living on beans and rice everyday.

AN APPEAL-TO REACH THE GOD
Respected kind hearted, man of man.

With due respect I am Rameshwor sunar-a citizen of developing south Asj-an uOUtnL'y-
NEPAL.Presently, I am a 1st year, 2nd semester Medicine student of Riga stradins
University-Latvia. My aim is to be a doctor and to serve my poor, superstitious,
ignorant, illiterate villagers and Black-Smiths. I tried my best to get
scholarship in Nepal for 1 and half years. But I could not. As we KAMI are known
as UNTOUCHABLE CAST in Nepal. So in order to get victory over my aim and mission,-I
took help of agency to come in Latvia. I come to study medicine thinking that I
can afford my tuition fee, living,fooding expenses by working. But in this Former
USSR country, still I could not get work. Now I am struggling with living and
flooding expenses. But I do not loose my hope and run away from my aim and
mission. Now I am planning to afford my some of my tuition fee by working in UK
and remaining by taking loan from bank in Nepal. The tuition fee is 3900$ per
year. But it's difficult for me to afford my living,fooding &Transportations
expenses.
I am a representative of Black Smith-kami tribe. Black smiths are the lowest and
backward cast of Nepal. We are treated as Untouchable cast .Its illegal to touch
food, water and to enter house of higher cast people. Even it's not allowed to
enter common places like shop,resturant,hotel,temples and school. If entered or
touch, he/she will be punished and exiled from the community.
I am the first person to study medicine in abroad out of 3 million black smiths
and 5th person to study medicine. So I kindly request you to help in this social
and way to reach God .1 swear you that I will fully utilize your each 100,200,500
$ to earn my doctorate degree and served my poor,superstitious,ignorant,stone age
black smith-kami and villagers.
I write down in brief about : Introduction of Black Smith, My Family, What makes
me to encourage studying medicine? And my aim and mission. I kindly request you to
read it and pass out your friends too.
KAMI-BLACK SMITH
In Nepal, Black smith is known as kami.
Kami are those groups of people who makes agricultural tools,axe,khukuri and
household tools like sword,knife,and many others iron things of higher cast
people. In return of it, higher cast people give grains and food for eating and 1-
2$ for clothing and personnel expenses. It's just like slavery system. Out of
them who run away from the village and transfer in the city and make khukuri,they
will earn little bit good amount of money for fooding and living expenses.
According to 2002 data, the population of black smith is around 3 million.
Out of them 95 are illiterate, and live in mountains and village.
-5 live in city are. Out of them too, only 50 are literate and 10 educated.
-In the world Nepal is poor and developing country .Inside of it too, Black smith
lowest and backward tribe of people.
MY FAMILY
My father is an x-army .He served in NEPAL ARMY as a black smith for making GORKHA
ARMY KNIFE for Gurkha soldier.He served for 26 years. Presently also, he makes
Gorkha Army knife and as well as makes knife for" UNCLE"-James Williams Martino.My
mother is house wife. I have 2 small brother and 2 sisters. All completely depend
on my father income.My life and achievement starts transferring to the city.
MYSELF:
I am 20 years old. I passed grade 10 in 1st position. I am the 1st person to pass grade 10 in my village. Till today, no one
has passed grade 10.1 think in the future up to 10 years no one will pass grade 10.1 passed grade 12 in 1st division in
s.pipnpp-Rinlnov I am munted in fineerto nass out srade 12 in science in 3 million populations.I am counted in

WHAT ENCOURAGE ME TO STUDY MEDICINE?
According to my mother, at the age of 4-5, I suffered from Paralysis. My mother
took me JHAKRI-(a saint who use forest herbs and pray God for recovery).After 1
year, attemt by the Bless of God I am able to walk. But still my left leg is
little bit smaller and shorter than right.But,I can walk and do my work like
Normal man.
I did 2 operations .One of hernia and one of cheek. I suffered from Typhoid 2
times and I used to suffer from fever,pneumonia,common cold repeatedly. I suffered
from Bronchitis for 5 years. So I have to go to Hospital in the interval of every
3 month. But the Hospital was far from the village and it's hard to see the
doctor. I had to wait in queue for 6-8 hours with pain and difficulty.My mother
did 3 operations of stomach and Gull Bladder stone.My youngest brother did 3
operations of hernia and 2nd brother admitted in hospital for 1 month because of
meningitis. So I have to guard them frequently by sleeping in cold floor for a
month.
Previously, I had 3-younger brother. But one of 2nd brother died of cholera at the
age of 3.Its because of superstitious of my mother and villagers. Instead of
taking to Hospital, they took him to JHAKRI and sacrifice HEN for god .Now a days
also same superstitious is going on .Because of this superstitious,every 3-4
children loose their life.My grand father died of Gastric-ulcer and then
cancer.Presently, my father has urine problem.Just last year one 17 years young .
girl died of Jaundice in my village.
In brief because of these situations and problems, I aimed to be doctor and to
serve my villagers and parents even though it's quite far behind of my reach.
But fortunately, by the bless of God and Pala's-a proprietor of NEPAL BIRGORKHALI
KHUKURI FACTORY, I am success to come here to continue my study.
-More than this, the help provided by "UNCLE"-JAMES WILLIAMS MART INO+"AUNT "-YANGDU
MARTINO~is quite unexplainab±e for me ^ fcl-ii.a—hagi nm ng aja<i__r;r"i -t-i nal situations of
my life in leading to be a doctor in Latvia. Because of them,Dr.Andrea Falcone-
Franc,has send me 350 Euro,and Brett Garret is very interested to help me by
appealing his friends too.
I am very thankful to this kind hearted and very helpful couple and as well as
Pala,Dr.Andrea Falcone and Barret Garret.I pray to the God for their good health
and success in every steps of life.
MY AIM AND MISSION:
My aim is to be a good and social doctor. My mission is to serve my
poor,illiterate,superstitious and ignorant villagers. I will make my villagers to
believe in Hospital and doctor by preventing untime death of innocent children. I
will prove my villagers by sacrifice of Hen, Goat diseases can't be cured. As
every year 3-4 children looses their life by simple diseases like
cholera,typhoid,Diarrohoea,fever,jaundice etc. because of this superstitious.
Thus I want to an example for whole black smith and I will prove," one percent
inspiration and ninety nine percent perspiration is the key to success".
Eventhough its a matter of shame .But my time and situations bound me to write it.
But I swear you that I will fully utilize your each money and earn my doctorate
degree in order to help my helpless villagers. Right now I need money only for
living,fooding&transportation . If I get job in the future, I will not request for
it too.
I hope you will help me in this small .social, and way to reach the god mission.
It is said," God lives in the inner heart of poor and helpless people".! think it
is the way to reach God.
A FUTURE DOCTOR
Ram

Sounds like its time to take up an offering for Ram, bless his heart. Thanks for sharing your letter foxy.

Dear Foxjaw,

Thank you for posting this.

Can you post here also some information on how to donate monies to Rameshwar Sunar?

cheers,
--B.

I believe that we can send $ for Ram to Uncle Bill and he will wire it over to him in Latvia. Perhaps we could establish an HI ram foundation of sorts.

That is indeed how to go. It helps to send a check to Uncle, that way he doesn't have to pay taxes on it. Just write for Ram somewhere and he will take care of it. I think there is already a place established for him. If we all help it will go well and we will put some more good into the country. But boy is he going to be a busy doctor. I think we need to find him a nurse, too.

I sure wish we could afford to, but with both of us on Social Security we have to budget close to be able to swing my prescriptions.
Been looking around for some of those places that helps people with their scripts, but you have to be destitute to qualify it seems like. But I bet there's people driving Lincolns and Caddies that get them!!!!:mad: :rolleyes: :grumpy:

Perhaps we can make some arrangments with Uncle as soon as he gets back

I'm in!

But we really need somebody to do some digging and find out how much Ram needs and at what intervals.

Any volunteers or is it best to wait until UB is back?

Uncle Bill has a fund set aside for Ram and sends $$ when he needs it. Just send Uncle a check and he will make sure that Ram gets it in a timely manner.Send to: Bill Martino
3495 Lakeside Dr. PMB 69
Reno, NV 89509-4841

Tell him it's for Ram. Ram is the most gracious young man I've seen in years and very appreciative of all the help he is getting. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that to have good food and a room to live in is probably $100-$150 a month with tuition on top of that. I'm trying to remember what was written before. Uncle will know better when he gets back. I still think he will need a good nurse.

Now that Uncle is back those with a heart to help little Ram over there in Latvia can send their donation in. I'm sure it will get to the right place

Back