Letter from Pte Ryan C. Kluczynski, 1 Canadian Mechanised Brigade Group

Here's a letter I got today that I thought some of you old vets might enjoy reading so I got Pte Kluczynski's permission to post it.

The tarwar was a special order with name and serial number engraved on the blade. Special puja was done and special effort devoted because the kamis knew this blade would be carried by a soldier and that his life might depend on it.

Here's the letter:
========================================
Hello there!

I just wanted to take a few moments out of my day to send you a personal message of sorts. I do believe that you are very familiar with my best freind, Sean Kennedy, who ordered a very custom Tarwar from your company and I am sure it is not one of those 'everyday' orders that comes across your desk.. Well, today it arrived in my hands. Where do I begin?

This piece of work that is currently laying across my lap is quite probably the single greatest blade I have ever been fortunate enough to handle. I got it this morning during one of our training exercises and have quite honestly been in a mild shock induced euphoria ever since. I opened it in front of my peers including Master Corporals and a Warrant Officer. I wish you were there to see the looks on there faces when the 'Kluczynski Tarwar' was unsheathed... It was priceless! I have a reputation amongst the Squadron of being a bit of a nutjob when it comes to high quality kit and today was the icing on the cake.

I have been collecting various knives for years now and have also taken a knife fighting course as well so I do consider myself to be up to speed when it comes to quality and functionality of a particular design. While I will admit that I have no real experiences with swords per se, I *knew* that I had to have one after Sean introduced me to your website. To say that I was impressed would be a gross understatement. Never before have I seen anything quite like this. Words cannot do justice to the sheer amazement I have not only at the quality but the entire design, weight, feel, and look. This sword is just stunning in every respect.

But it is not the materials nor the final product that have really made this piece what it is. I think, correction, KNOW that it is all about the people that worked so bloody hard on this for me. I feel it very neccessary to make it clear that this was not just a showpiece to be hung on a wall. Nor was this ever a matter of 'Hey, let's BUY some serious rituals and culture from these people' like it was something off the shelf. That to me would be the ultimate insult I could ever pass on. The respect that I have for the people that made this blade, their culture, and in all regards the manner of which they pulled together to make this Tarwar is again, beyond words. Somehow, a 'thanks' just doesn't cut it. Please understand that there are few people around anymore that seem to 'get it' when it comes to things of this significance. I do and so does Sean. This was never a gag gift and I can assure you it was purchased with the sincerest intent and motivation behind it.

If you could do me a favour by telling all the individuals involved in the process from beginning to end, that I am truly honoured to carry with me a weapon of such craftsmanship an spiritual significance, I would be most appreciative. This weapon is going to go with me everywhere that my services may be required and just having it on my person already makes a potentially dangerous theatre to operate in all that much safer. I find it ironic with all the new technologies that are coming out or are in use today that this modern day 'Warrior' still packs around a very old and tested design. Some how, I wouldn't have it any other way...

Loyally,

Pte Ryan C. Kluczynski
1 HQ & Signals Squadron
1 Canadian Mechanised Brigade Group
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

Yes, that is why it is so hard for a guy like me to convey just how the most superbly built knives that I have ever seen effect the way I feel about them. I guess it is more a spiritual thing that words just haven't been written that quite explain the feeling of just possessing one of them and holding it, kind of feels like a religious event some how. I have never quite got that feeling from any other weapon I have ever owned, that the Khukuris just seem to let flow through them to the user. And yet, each one feels just a bit different than the last one you had in your hand.
Now I want to know whether I'm going a little off in my head, or do others get this feeling also.

Originally posted by Pappy
Now I want to know whether I'm going a little off in my head, or do others get this feeling also.

If you're going a little off in the head, then so am I. There's nothing else I can add that would even come remotely close to expressing the feeling better than has already been done here by you and Mr. Kluczynski.

There's a little more. This Tarwar was actually a gift from a good friend of Ryan and was ordered by the friend. Personally, I would not select a Tarwar to carry onto the field of conflict and I doubt that many would so I tried to talk the friend out of the Tarwar choice and go for something a bit easier to carry and handle. No deal. Ryan had been to the website and the Tarwar was what he wanted so that's what we made for him. If Ryan is big, young and strong the Tarwar will work for him and he knows what he wants and can use better than anybody.

I think there are more around who share your feelings, Pappy, than you might think.

No pix, however, Ryan said he was going to get some and send them to me. Stay tuned.

"May that Tarwar serve its owner true and well and may it always be used on the side of right and good." Kami prayer -- and mine.

As I think I said before, reality in the Occident and reality in the Orient are not necessarily the same. Just as the little girl said, a myth is a story that's true on the inside. Magic? Spirit? Mysticism? Mebbe so, mebbe no.

But I now understand why warriors used to train so as to be worthy of their weapon. The blade they depended on to protect their life wasn't going to fail them, so they should not fail the blade.

Hold a handforged blade that is right for you in your hand and then it will make sense.

Back