"Leviathan" Concept and Prototype

OK so after letting it slip that I am working on a new concept the "Leviathan" I have received a TON of emails and questions so here is the sneak peek at how I go about designing a fixed blade knife.

Here are the parameters/design goals for this design:

7" Large hunter/fighter sized blade with full tang
Open to different blade geometries
Use .21" surface ground CPM-3V steel (A perfect middle ground thickness between a fast in the hand 3/16" fighter and a 1/4" survival/chopper)
Incorporate a "harpoon" blade design element
Incorporate a sub-hilt handle design element
Use custom CNC routed handels
Provide a custom etched Leather/Kydex hybrid sheath with Tec-Loc attachment system

So with these ideas in mind I quickly drew out the rough idea in CAD. I started with the classic blade to handle ratio of a great old standby design, the KA-BAR Mark 2. It's a reliable place to start.

My first concept hits all the design criteria above but frankly looks but ugly and uncomfortable. I try to play with an idea of combining two blade forms I have come to love the harpoon false edge and a Wharncliffe blade geometry. Ya it"s a bit unorthodox but I thought that a little experimentation I could refine the look...

LeviathanScreen.jpg

Next step is to work in sets of "iterative concepts" making incremental changes to the form. I find the best way for me to see how I feel about a design is to actually hold it. Thats where laser cut technology come to the rescue. I can draw out designs and have a laser cut blanks from foam core to test the ergonomic value and aesthetic appeal of each design.

[video=youtube;HRMso734fA8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRMso734fA8[/video]

20120728_184410.jpg

Just throw one in with my TiTan, I will let you know how it is ;). But just my 0.02 I would buy #1 or #4. I like those shapes the most.

As you can see from the photos. I cut out a design, modify that, test it, make changes, cut a new design, and then compare the two. In 3 hrs I can test more than a dozen designs on a $2 sheet of foam core. Try that with steel or hand cutting cardboard. In my testing I found a 5 degree tilt to the handle to be superior for cutting tasks and swinging tasks. It just felt....right. Here I also settled on chain bolts to fasten the CNC handles.

The pictures are in chronological order from the first concept to last

20120730_182454.jpg

20120730_182955.jpg

20120730_183320.jpg

Just throw one in with my TiTan, I will let you know how it is ;). But just my 0.02 I would buy #1 or #4. I like those shapes the most.

We sir, are in sync.

I finally chose two blade shapes that felt great in the hand and also fulfilled the original design criteria. These two designs will be offered as "Leviathan's".

The Harpoon Wharncliffe will feature a sharpened top edge more suitable for offensive/defensive cutting tasks.
The Harpoon Drop Point will feature a false top edge to aid in outdoor/survival knife duties.

Two knives. Two personalities. One soul.

I will not begin taking pre orders till I have finished with the TiTAN order. For those of you that have already asked: If you want the most up to date info on getting your hands on a Leviathan, just subscribe to this thread and Ill answer any questions.

20120730_183449_HDR.jpg

20120730_183602_HDR.jpg

The $20 bill is for scale and will not be included in ANY purchase. :D

20120730_183651_HDR.jpg

Example of my custom etched Leather/Kydex hybrid sheath with Tec-Loc attachment system.

It really the best of both worlds. Kydex's has strength and legendary blade retention. Using 9oz tooling leather is great for silent operation and allows for the feel of a friction fit traditional leather sheath.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

20120731_040143.jpg

20120731_040131_HDR.jpg

20120731_040047.jpg

Awesome! That fighting sheeps foot is just full of badassery! But the drop point would probably be more usefull for general duties. Sucks growing up and having things like usefullness start to matter more than the CDI factor. Two great options that make it a tough choice to pick a winner. Great work! What are you looking at for scale options?

Wow, subscribed. I doubt I'll be able to afford one but I'm for sure going to watch the show! Great blade shapes btw.

Personally I like the blade shape of the last one in this pic over the one you ended up choosing, but it's your choice. I'm just a sucker for spearpoints :D
Cheers

post number 11, knife second from the bottom, I like it! sweet mock ups on all accounts :)

Awesome! That fighting sheeps foot is just full of badassery! But the drop point would probably be more usefull for general duties. Sucks growing up and having things like usefullness start to matter more than the CDI factor. Two great options that make it a tough choice to pick a winner. Great work! What are you looking at for scale options?

I haven't nailed down the material the scales will be CNCed out of. So far I have the following options:

G10 (black, OD green, blaze orange, desert tan, multi-color)
2x2 carbon fiber
25+ exotic hardwoods (zebra, wenge, purple heart, spalted maple, etc...)

I might also try my hand at doing inlays with the laser.

I'm really digging the second knife from the bottom! Too bad it didn't make the cut. As for handles I think micarta or g10 would be nice. Have you put any thought into the blade finish?

nick, we both like that 2nd knife from the bottom... lets get some more on board and maybe leviathan 2.0 will be our pick :D

I like the wharncliffe and think it would look awesome with some nice carbon fiber. I want one of the Titans, but I love me a nice fixed blade.

carbon fiber, check.. and 2nd from bottom or possibly the bottom model; they both look to have the same blade shape but the bottom pic is a knife with a cant on the handle making it a bit more ergo for slicing.

BTW what is the thickness on this badboy if you've thought about that yet... 3/16 would be ideal considering the height of what it appears to be.. thinking slicer.. OH DAMN what steel are you considering... M4???? S90V???? S30V at 58-60 can prove to be insanely tough as a chopper and with the right grind, slice all day long... 1/4" pivots minimum...

OK sounds great, toss me into this batch, serial 007 backwards... and upsidedown :D

One last comment, Will, you are like a mad scientist.. wtheref do you have access to all the toys O_O :D WHISKEY TIME!

carbon fiber, check.. and 2nd from bottom or possibly the bottom model; they both look to have the same blade shape but the bottom pic is a knife with a cant on the handle making it a bit more ergo for slicing.

BTW what is the thickness on this badboy if you've thought about that yet... 3/16 would be ideal considering the height of what it appears to be.. thinking slicer.. OH DAMN what steel are you considering... M4???? S90V???? S30V at 58-60 can prove to be insanely tough as a chopper and with the right grind, slice all day long... 1/4" pivots minimum...

OK sounds great, toss me into this batch, serial 007 backwards... and upsidedown :D

One last comment, Will, you are like a mad scientist.. wtheref do you have access to all the toys O_O :D WHISKEY TIME!

The steel will be .21" surface ground CPM-3V with an RC of 59 (A perfect middle ground thickness between a fast in the hand 3/16" fighter and a 1/4" survival/chopper)
All my mad scientist toys come from my work. I run the night shift at the Digital Technology lab in the Gulfstream Center. Best. Job. Ever.

Back