1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

life expectancy of washers (Brass, Teflon, …)

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by kreisler, Jun 12, 2019 at 7:22 AM.

1. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    Have you ever renewed/replaced the brass washers on your folder? Do brass washers really wear out over time, so when would you know that it's time to replace them with fresh ones?

I am not super concerned, just wondering. AX dealers sell a 10-pack for $9 shipped, and i am wondering why. (Is that a good price btw? Seems kinda pricey for a replacement part you'll never install because the original brass washers don't show wear or degradation)

o_O

2. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    Never had to replace brass or Teflon washers. I suspect most haven't had to either. We're more likely to lose a part during disassembly than wear one out.

kreisler likes this.
  3. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Most knives that I've seen use Phosphor bronze washers which are more wear resistant that pure brass washers. I would think that if a knife develops side to side play and it didn't have it before, it would be time to replace the washers. I've got a couple of CRK users that are 10 to 12 years old and still have the original washers.
    Most bulk products are more expensive in small quantities.

kreisler likes this.
  4. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Don't get them until you need them. Else your just wasting the money. They don't wear out for a very long while. Most likely just get some for free via the manufacturer if there was a need. Plus they are not all equal in size and dimensions and will likely need different sizes for different knives.

Teflon.. You could probably get better Teflon from knife making stores that will last longer than what come in most Chinese made knives.

kreisler likes this.
  5. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I would love to see a custom pb washer maker. It would be awesome to specify diameter of washer, diameter of pivot hole and thickness.

kreisler likes this.
  6. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    I'm not even sure I want to know the prices of going custom washers route.

kreisler likes this.
  7. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    What like 15$ tops? Think of all the knives that could be fixed with properly fitting washers. You could fix lots of bladeplay issues.

Hell they could even sell washers prepolished on one side.

kreisler likes this.
  8. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    Thanks guys for your contributions.
    Excessive polishing attempts :poop: could lead to side to side blade play, so that's one reason to source fresh ones I guess. :rolleyes:
    I won't bother buying now but i'll keep an eye on AliX anniversary or holiday sales, they have plenty of coupons for New Customers. I'd ask the knife company only if i had actually worn down the washer in the knife … which seems unlikely at this early point.

Btw which other materials do knife makers use? Pb, Cu, Al, stainless steel, bronze, titanium, gold? ;) Or which physical or chemical property makes brass the preferred choice in production knives? Just curious. Chinese brass will be good enough for my Spyderco :p

9. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Probably avoid aliexpress all together.

Ask spyderco for washers

kreisler likes this.
  10. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Why would washer wear lead to side-to-side play, other than on a Sebanza, when you would just tighten the pivot?

kreisler likes this.
  11. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    oki maybe not washer wear. but an ill-sized (thickness) washer would i guess.

12. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    None I don't worry about minor blade play I just use them. And I never had a knife with major blade play that wasnt gas station quality and any in use anymore.