Light Chopper in cold weather question

ATJ999

Gold Member
I live in a wet area, but not extremely cold. I go up to the mountains to camp/track at times. I was wondering if there are any light chopper owners that live in cold areas. Have you had any problems using them in a cold, say below 20 degrees fahrenheit? Cold, below 5 Degrees would be of interest as well.

Can't help you with the Q but was wondering if your concern is about the change in cutting ability and prowess? I don't know what the tolerances are and Nathan can shine more light onto this but metal's expansion / contraction would make a difference in the optimal cutting ability tested at whatever temp it was tested at.

In order to get one of my leather sheaths to fit tighter around my EDC, I put the EDC sheathed in the oven for 15 minutes (slightly wet leather, a hack I was told about by the maker) and when I took the EDC out and just for sh*ts and giggles did a thing paper cut test, it did not cut as well and snagged for obvious reasons. However it cooled off and all was back to its former glory. Extreme cold would also alter the geometry, me thinks!

I live in Wisconsin, and while I didn't beat my LC too hard during the winter I certainly didn't hold back. I did not experience any edge durability issues.

I've used the various LC protos I have in sub zero, (-3 to -8 C) temperatures and haven't observed any issues resulting from temperature

Last edited:
Now you're going above my paygrade but I know that a steel blade being slammed through a frozen oak log can snap. I have no doubts in any variation of 3V but anything is possible I guess.

Maybe he was thinking about how grip issues with gloves on?

My first LC had buffed micarta. The rest are unbuffed micarta or TeroTuf.

I tend to wear gloves for most things because I'm tired of having cuts on my hands and don't want to get scabs ripped off and blood on the babies.

I've used the various LC protos I have in sub zero temperatures and haven't observed any issues resulting from temperature

Subzero C or subzero F? I'm just asking because I haven't run into a lot of -17C days in BC (sticking mostly to Vancouver/Victoria when I've visited in the winter).

Brittle failure, I'm guessing, is the original post concern. Highly unlikely, but just the sort of thing NtM could enlighten us all on.

My personal concern would be hitting a knot full of sap that is frozen solid. Possibly more edge damage (which the D3V will laugh off).

We haven't done extremely cold destruction testing, but after having a D2 knife fail in -20 degree testing (cutting frozen maple, cracked half way to the spine, about 10 years ago) we learned about cold embrittlement in steels and learned to respect it, it is a very real phenomenon. We incorporate steps in the heat treat that are recommended to reduce this problem. That said, we don't have deep experience in rough use in temperatures well below zero.

We haven't done extremely cold destruction testing, but after having a D2 knife fail in -20 degree testing (cutting frozen maple, cracked half way to the spine, about 10 years ago) we learned about cold embrittlement in steels and learned to respect it, it is a very real phenomenon. We incorporate steps in the heat treat that are recommended to reduce this problem. That said, we don't have deep experience in rough use in temperatures well below zero.

I usually take off a week early-mid January and head to the cabin for some peace and quiet.

Would you like me to put the LC and BC thorough some heavy chopping or other tasks you had in mind and see what happens?

I would, I would. :D

Just figured I'd ask since I have access to nippy weather. I like being able to help out if I can and if Nathan would be able to glean anything from it it seems like a reasonable endeavor on my part.

We are nowhere near zero degree weather here, so I guess I don't have to worry about this! Don't put your knives in the freezer folks!

Subzero C or subzero F? I'm just asking because I haven't run into a lot of -17C days in BC (sticking mostly to Vancouver/Victoria when I've visited in the winter).

Those happen in the Interior or Northern BC, but not the coast. I'm not too far inland from Vancouver and the worst I can remember off the top of my head is -10c, I've used an axe plenty of times but never a LC. I'll give one a shot this year if it's a cold winter again.

It gets at least -20F in winter where I live and years ago -30 to -40F (or C ;) ) was not unusual. Recently it has just been short stretches. But if it does get interesting cold, I will take my LC out and whack at a tree stump I used the LC to delimb before cutting down the tree. A winter reunion for the two! And just for kicks, I'll also bring a Busse. One with a Res-C handle though (full-tang sucks the heat out of my hand even through heavy mittens).

I've used the various LC protos I have in sub zero, (-3 to -8 C) temperatures and haven't observed any issues resulting from temperature

Great, thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

Back