Light Chopper Performance Comparison

Hey everyone!

I'm wondering how the Light Chopper performs against the Esee Junglas. Yes, I know all the differences, just wondering how the two compare.

If anyone has both and cares to write a couple sentences about them, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

Hopefully someone has some real input here. Dying for a LC and I've owned 3 Junglas already.

Light chopper beats the pants of the Junglas. I made a thread a few months back comparing the two. I like the Junglas but the LC is just better in every way. It cuts/chops so clean and easy.

Junglas

LC

It also takes a scary edge

It also beat a real chopper (axe) at chopping LOL

Seems like a terrific chopping knife. :thumbup:

But you picked a below average member of the Axe family due to its concave blade face. :eek:

Seems like a terrific chopping knife. :thumbup:

But you picked a below average member of the Axe family due to its concave blade face. :eek:

I didn't have my other axes handy. After I pitted the LC vs Junglas I thought the LC vs axe would be fun. The axe split that log in less swings but the LC did it much faster showing its light weight and way cleaner. It's a beast chopper nothing "light" about how it chops LOL.

Thanks for the input, Nfd538!

May I ask why you are chopping with the tips of the blades? You would get a lot more power if you hit the sweet spot. Also, I appreciate the "it beat an axe" at chopping comment but that axe...well.. i wouldn't call it an axe LOL

^^Haha nevermind the axe then it's all I had with me. The LC destroyed the Junglas though.

Good to know! I've played around with a Junglas a lot so it's a good reference point :) I can't wait to get my hands on a Light Chopper :thumbup:

Sure man, good to chime in on this it was fun comparing the two.
What my Junglas turned into 😱

Added some jimping

I was fully in the market for a Junglas, but veered at the last second once I had it on a counter beside a Becker BK9. The weight of the Junglas, and something about the balance, even just waving it around in the store, just felt kinda slow and cumbersome. That and the handles on the Becker were considerably more ergonomic, which for me at least leads to a faster chop. The right balance of speed, weight, balance, ergos, and geometry all really seem to matter, where chopping power is concerned - and, as an adjunct, stamina across multiple cuts (or even hours of cutting).

Axe guys spend a lot of time pontificating on these matters for the same reason.

Anyways, long story short, on feel alone I grabbed the BK9, some micarta scales, and ordered up an AZWelke sheath, and all up I wouldn't trade it for a crate of Junglasses.

I've got no experience with the LC, but man, I need one. I'm not 100% in love with the blade shape aesthetics, but I get the impression that it's the fancy-3V-with-awesome-ergos upgrade from my BK9. If it'd been around when I was originally shopping for the Junglas (and wound up with the Becker), it would've wound up being a much better value than kitting out the BK9. No regrets though. So the collection grows.

How many choppers does a man really need? A few at least, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many choppers does a man really need? A few at least, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least a few is right. I've got the 1111, a $20 (including edge work) machete from Baryonyx, and about to have a LC headed my way. The Junglas is GREAT when you get some TKC G10 scales for it but it's more of a big knife than a chopper for me. The 1111 will out split it and I'm hoping the LC will bite deeper than it does for real chopping.

I get the impression that it's the fancy-3V-with-awesome-ergos upgrade from my BK9.

Yes the Delta 3V is awesome takes a great edge. I believe the handle shape was designed with the help from Mr. Chopper himself, Dan Keffeler. And the weight somewhere at 17.1oz vs the Junglas 22-23oz.

Li have been looking for a LC fr about a month. Maybe I get one eventually, maybe not. But I would like to see more of them compared to other blades, like light goloks, parangs, bolos, Etc.

Back