Light Chopper Review

abbydaddy

Gold Member
Hello everybody, I just finished my Light Chopper review, you can find it through the link:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/carothers-performance-knives-light-choppe.1518318/

I also posted the link in the "Post Your CPK Photos" thread, but I wanted to make a post here for anyone who isn't watching that thread.

I'd be interested in getting feedback from the folks here on the CPK forum. I've got a D2 HDFK on the way for review, and I am looking forward to it. I'd like feedback on anything that you guys would feel I should do differently or add to future reviews.

Thanks to @jbomz for selling me the LC. I'm putting it through its paces.

What a very impressive, indepth and extensive review. Well done. It was pleasure to read that.
Looking forward to your Hdfk review :thumbsup:

Great review abbydaddy abbydaddy
Curious about your experience with respect to fatigue using this knife relative to other knives (characterized as choppers, not machetes). Also, you said this would almost replace a hatchet for wood prep while camping. Is that mainly because its a one-tool solution and allows you to simplify your gear, or is it because it is just "that good"?

Thank you for taking the time to write that review. It's helpful to our growing knife business when people post reviews outside of our sub forum here because it exposes new people to our work and helps us continue to grow. :thumbsup:

One potential problem with having a little sub forum like this is that it can become a small echo chamber and a lot of outside people never see it. We've been under the radar, which has been nice, but with our expansion here we need to bring in new folks in order to sustain growth. For a company like ours that relies on "word of mouth" the exposure from reviews like this is particularly helpful. :thumbsup:

Thank you for taking the time to write that review. It's helpful to our growing knife business when people post reviews outside of our sub forum here because it exposes new people to our work and helps us continue to grow. :thumbsup:

One potential problem with having a little sub forum like this is that it can become a small echo chamber and a lot of outside people never see it. We've been under the radar, which has been nice, but with our expansion here we need to bring in new folks in order to sustain growth. For a company like ours that relies on "word of mouth" the exposure from reviews like this is particularly helpful. :thumbsup:

exactly!!!

in retrospect, maybe we should have named it Heavy Slicer :)

Good stuff. Not surprised that the cheddar cheese chipped out the knife... nothing beats cheddar.

Just kidding of course. Remarkably resilient blade that I am sure will bring you many years of service and joy.

The first thing I noticed when handling it is the weight and maneuverability. It feels good. Optimized. Dialed in. Congrats to everyone involved.

Last edited:
Great review abbydaddy abbydaddy
Curious about your experience with respect to fatigue using this knife relative to other knives (characterized as choppers, not machetes). Also, you said this would almost replace a hatchet for wood prep while camping. Is that mainly because its a one-tool solution and allows you to simplify your gear, or is it because it is just "that good"?
Definitely because it is "that good." The next time I go camping (hard to do with a toddler and an infant) I will definitely see how it works to use the LC as a camp knife/wood processor, but I feel like I might still prefer to have a smaller fixed blade. We will see.

Regarding fatigue compared with other non-machete choppers, I just don't have any experience with them. I've always used axes or machetes for my chopping needs. I found the fatigue pretty comparable to a machete. The biggest fatigue issue for me was grip strength after a couple hours, but that is the same as with any one handed chopping tool I have used. Until I try out some other non-machete choppers I can't really compare.

Yeah my outdoors life has been, hopefully, temporarily destroyed now that we have an infant and a toddler. Sigh. Love em though!!
That is definitely a big part of why I still clear brush part time. I need to get outside where there is no phone signal. Clearing brush gives me that, plus a lot of exercise.

That is definitely a big part of why I still clear brush part time. I need to get outside where there is no phone signal. Clearing brush gives me that, plus a lot of exercise.

Makes sense. I'm too busy with work to have a second job though. On Labour day, my second day off in 4 weeks I shovelled composted bark mulch and spread it in the beds around the yard for 4 hours till I'd had enough.

Back