Recommendation? Light or heavy Kukri

Light or heavy?

• Total voters
I am currently getting more interested in kukris and the prospect of buying one. Right now I am looking at Himelayan imports and their models. Right now I am wondering more if a lighter or heavier kukri would be best for me to get. The lighter models are easier to use from what I have heard but the heavier models are better chopping blades so they work better for log splitting etc. I am wondering if people have ever used them and could give me some insight.

I am currently getting more interested in kukris and the prospect of buying one. Right now I am looking at Himelayan imports and their models. Right now I am wondering more if a lighter or heavier kukri would be best for me to get. The lighter models are easier to use from what I have heard but the heavier models are better chopping blades so they work better for log splitting etc. I am wondering if people have ever used them and could give me some insight.

If it’s something you intend to train with and use as a weapon then light is better imho. If you are mostly going to be fighting with wood; then the thicker one is better.

I agree with both posters above. You should know what you'll use it for much more than we would. I was lucky enough to win a 16.5 inch CAK in a giveaway(the model I always wanted), and while I knew the specs, I was not prepared for how monstrous this was. It's a bomb proof blade, I went through a block of wood a bit too much and hit the top edge on concrete. Sure, it was dulled a bit, but that was literally it. Sharpened away like nothing even happened.

That CAK is a fantastic chopper, blows through brush like it no other blade I've used. I've been able to cut through 3 inch in diameter thick walnut branch in a single chop(the first time made me smile like a madman, haha). Thats what it feels like it was designed for, heavy duty chopping. I learned that a machete is much better for the lighter stuff, 20 minutes of swinging a CAK is like an hour and half swinging a machete.

A lighter Khukuri would still be able to chop stuff like a heavy duty one, just not as well. And a heavy Khukuri could do lighter jobs, but your arm will be killing you from all the swinging. If you'll be cutting more than chopping, go light. I'm definitely going to buy myself a lighter Khukuri to go along side the biggun'. The WW2 model has been calling to me.

You know the saying, "Work smarter, not harder", that applies very well to this.

Here's one of the first pictures I took with it. First ever chop, haha.

Kg0QMbb.jpg

Last edited:
I will add in that a heavy blade for chopping is not the same as a heavy blade for splitting. Some of the really big HI kuhkri's are too big to be ideal choppers but they split better than an equivalent length axe. The ones that split really well are very tiring to swing horizontal. I had a 17" or so 38oz char chirra from HI and I batoned it through a 12" pine stump seeking fatwood and had no questions about it's durability. It's spine was 1/2" thick, not to be confused with 1/4" which is generally considered a beefy knife thickness. It was heavier than an axe but because it was considerably shorter it had added portability so there are advantages, plus a bigger sharpened area.

This works for martial purposes and is not a bad wood chopper , either ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
The weight is intermediate . A full sized Kuk but not very heavy . Just right .

Ryan,

Asking what "kind of kukri should I get?" is like saying, I'm interested in buying a knife, what kind should I get? Like the word "knife" the word Kukri means many different types of blades designed to do very diffent jobs.

For you to get the most helpful answers it would be good to know a few things. How experienced are you with knives and choppers? What tasks do you want this Kukri to do? What is your budget? Do you have large, med or small hands. Will you pack the kukri, car camp, or just use it around the yard? Do you have a preference; handmade traditional model or modern machine made kukri?

Bill

Like the others have said, it really depends on your needs.

I've got khuks that will split a log just by looking at it ugly. I've got a few that are literally under an ounce an inch and whistle when you snap cut them.

If I were going to pick "just one", which is laughable because i think i have about 60 of them:D, a 16.5" chiruwa AK would do a lot of work but not be too niche in the light/heavy department.

That said, my most used and abused and go-to yard knife is a 15" KLVUK by HI. It's got a thinner edge so you have to watch your technique lest you damage the edge, but once you get it going it will chop, slash, slice, and do just about anything you want it to do. Plus they generally come in around $80 bucks.

Just be prepared, it's tough to stop at one. I purchased my first one from Uncle Bill in 2002. 16 years later I'm still buying them;)

I would research the handle comfort as well before making a decision. The peened on end cap on the HI ones can really tear your hand up when you swing them. You can file/sand them down, but I would take a look at that factor as well.

Back