Light Sabers

I read recently that France had recognized dueling with Light Sabers as a sport. I know I too think that Light Smachets be more logical but I'm not French. That being said, it does seem to make a little sense for people living in dense cities. You could practice in a large one bedroom or the laundry room. In good weather you could go to the park and practice without being arrested. Anyone tried this??

lightsaber-duel-2.jpg

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lightsaber-dueling-now-official-sport-france/

I got in a smatchet duel once. When my opponent and I removed our smatchets from concealment we immediately realized the absolute mastery of combat each had attained, having chosen such a weapon, and called a draw because we both would have obviously killed each other within a tenth of a second of the fight commencing. A trained Smatcheteer can win against 4, 5, even as many as 22 & 3/4 men armed to the teeth with automatic-firing weapons and at least 2 or possibly three men with ninja swords so it's easy to understand that even training in smatcheteering with smatchets made of foam rubber could have fatal consequences. Indeed, that's why you often hear of Underground Smatchet rings popping up and leaving trails of dead combatants occasionally. Sad too, because when Sir Honeycutt Reginaire McSmatch (1796-1869) first invented the smatchet, it was understood to be strictly for hand to paw/claw/hoof combat versus elephants, tigers, lions and polar bears and not intended as a weapon of war.

Last edited:
A trained Smatcheteer can win against 4, 5, even as many as 22 & 3/4 men armed to the teeth with automatic-firing weapons and at least 2 or possibly three men with ninja swords so it's easy to understand that even training in smatcheteering with smatchets made of foam rubber could have fatal consequences. Indeed, that's why you often hear of Underground Smatchet rings popping up and leaving trails of dead combatants occasionally. Sad too, because when Sir Honeycutt Reginaire McSmatch (1796-1869) first invented the smatchet, it was understood to be strictly for hand to paw/claw/hoof combat versus elephants, tigers, lions and polar bears and not intended as a weapon of war.

Funny thing, I was just saying this to my wife yesterday!

I read recently that France had recognized dueling with Light Sabers as a sport. I know I too think that Light Smachets be more logical but I'm not French. That being said, it does seem to make a little sense for people living in dense cities. You could practice in a large one bedroom or the laundry room. In good weather you could go to the park and practice without being arrested. Anyone tried this??

I Have not tried it... Or Qiudditch although I hear some universities have teams. I am not sure how either one works without the main component. A lights saber without the force is just a glorified flashlight and quiditch without magic is just a bunch of people running around with brooms. In terms of dueling I would think working with shinai, boken or wasters would be more fun but I am not a Star Wars fiend. I do agree about the light smatcheting dueling I think you are on to something there!:)

I got in a smatchet duel once. When my opponent and I removed our smatchets from concealment we immediately realized the absolute mastery of combat each had attained, having chosen such a weapon, and called a draw because we both would have obviously killed each other within a tenth of a second of the fight commencing. A trained Smatcheteer can win against 4, 5, even as many as 22 & 3/4 men armed to the teeth with automatic-firing weapons and at least 2 or possibly three men with ninja swords so it's easy to understand that even training in smatcheteering with smatchets made of foam rubber could have fatal consequences. Indeed, that's why you often hear of Underground Smatchet rings popping up and leaving trails of dead combatants occasionally. Sad too, because when Sir Honeycutt Reginaire McSmatch (1796-1869) first invented the smatchet, it was understood to be strictly for hand to paw/claw/hoof combat versus elephants, tigers, lions and polar bears and not intended as a weapon of war.

This one really needs to be in the short short sword thread!

:eek: A real live one?

"Dueling" lightsabers is really more choreography than combat. They're basically machined aluminum hilts containing a powerful RGB LED array that shines down a sturdy polycarbonate tube 'blade' filled with light-diffusing film. Some also have a speaker in the hilt connected to a tiny custom sound card and motion sensor for sound effects. There's a whole community of people who build them for cosplay, 'sport' dueling, and prop making.

"Dueling" lightsabers is really more choreography than combat. They're basically machined aluminum hilts containing a powerful RGB LED array that shines down a sturdy polycarbonate tube 'blade' filled with light-diffusing film. Some also have a speaker in the hilt connected to a tiny custom sound card and motion sensor for sound effects. There's a whole community of people who build them for cosplay, 'sport' dueling, and prop making.

Yeah I've heard of them. I was just hoping you had a bead on a maker of a real one.

Back