Lightfoot Question???

CKE2

Gold Member
Does anybody have any of his knives? I just got a Max Velocity and really like it. I wonder if it will stand up to hard use. I have it up for trade and thought I would get better use out of a Strider folder but no one is biting. I really like the fact that it is Canadian made but it is really expensive and if it is only a light use knife then I will only end up "safe queening" it. So I guess my question is do any of you have Lightfoots and what do you think??? I guess I should have asked before putting it up for trade. Thanks and Take Care!!!

I'd say use it hard(like any of the knives out now). if a problem shows up, email or call greg about it. Most custom makers are more than happy to see thier knives getting used rather than sit in a safe. Might run a few bucks for a refurb, but you'll be enjoying the knife.

I carried one his 460 Magnum models for almost 2 years. His workmanship is outstanding. His knives are definitley made for use.

CKE2 -

I have one of his custom neck knives, something like a MUCH nicer version of his Timberline Mini Pitbull collaboration. Although I have no doubts at all about its strength and 'usability', it is pretty much a safe queen, just due to numbers. I'd just rather bang up one of my Livesay neck knives (NRG Exec. or D2 Woo) instead. I'd say go ahead and use it if you feel it's the best blade for the situation.

Bern

I've got 4 customs now... 3 of em see daily use(twin drop points for work, warncliff for home/about...). the custom skean dhu gets used as right side when I'm using my warncliff(something more solid), but sees it's use in the kitchen for the most part.

I have one of Greg's "Marauder" models. Haven't used it myself (it will come up in my EDC rotation soon), but I'd say use your knife. If something needs making right, Greg will step right up and do it. Great guy to deal with.

(but if you have to email him, don't expect a response longer than three words. He's a man of action, not conversation. ;) )

Thank you cockroachfarm! I think that is the answer I was looking for. How I got the knife is a LONG story. In the end Mr Lightfoot made it all better but was a little put off by his lack of email responses. Man get me to the trade forum to pull my knife back. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by CKE2
...but was a little put off by his lack of email responses...

Don't be. If Greg sends an email with 3 words, he's being chatty. If the email response consists of 4 words, he's being downright talkative. ;)

Here's a quick shot of the "Marauder" I received last year from Greg. The fit and finish are superb.

44949761.jpg

And as many have said - if there's a problem with one of his knives, he'll go out of his way to make it right.

CKE2 - I had a Max Velocity, the proto of the Mararuder, and a Strider AR and GB. They were all good knives, but I honestly feel that the Max Velocity was the best one for me as far as handle feel and blade lenght. I wish now that I never let it go!

You got a winner there! Keep it, use it for a year, if you scratch it up, Greg will make it look like new!:D He's a great maker that makes great knives!

Best,
Frank:cool:

Thanks Frank and again cockroachfarm! Appreciate it. Take Care!!!

I have quite a few of Greg's knives, straight and folder, and a custom axe. Greg is one of my favourite makers for using blades.
You really should give them a try. As far as Greg being unresponsive, he's a busy guy but a great guy when you do get to talk to him. I recommend him unreservedly.
His knives are built tough . As good as his folders are, and they are very good indeed, his bigger straight knives have something very special about them, at least to me. All his knives grow on you. I've had some for quite a long time now, and they are still going strong.

Greg is a great guy and a great knifemaker.
I sent him his first Stellite 6K and Talonite for him to make me a predator and a smaller fixed blade. He took on the challenge and made me two awesome blades. His predator was so sharp and pointy that when I tested it on an old level 2 armored vest, it went through both sides like it was going through paper:eek:

Originally posted by CKE2
I have it up for trade and thought I would get better use out of a Strider folder but no one is biting.

What do you want to do with this knife? I have a couple Lightfoots and carry a Strider AR. This Strider does not fit in an office environment - it gets even worse sheeple response then the Emerson Commander I carried for a while.

Now, would I use the Lightfoots to cut the tops out of cans - No. Would I use it to cut wire - No. Why, it just isn't built for that type of use. If I need to however, I am sure both of them would do the job just fine but, that's what I bought the AR for. For many things, I find the AR a bit dull because it is over built for the task at hand. It's squarish handle isn't a good pocket carry shape. For a good grip for twisting, hacking, chopping, etc. the large square rough surface of the handle slabs is excellant.

Comparing my Strider AR to either of my Lightfoots is like comparing an Apple to a hard boiled egg. Lets see, they are both food items with a skin/shell........

Originally posted by Sid Post

Comparing my Strider AR to either of my Lightfoots is like comparing an Apple to a hard boiled egg. Lets see, they are both food items with a skin/shell........

how about an Apple to an Orange:)

I considered the fruit to fruit comparison but, it was just too close. Let's see apple to orange/grapefruit/........ ;)

Yes, I know they are both knives but, ........ :)

Sid, I was noticing that there are people that have been on BF since 2003 that have more postings than you and me combined:eek:

Thanks guys. I have been carrying it and LOVING it. There is just something in the feel of a handmade knife. It is the perfect size for me. Sid...you really put it into perspective for me. No I don't use my folders for that kind of "abuse" I have fixed blades for that. A Strider someday would be nice but not at the expense of my Lightfoot. Again thanks folks, I really appreciate the help/slap in the head! Take Care!!!

Back