Lightweight M43

I have an M43 made by Bura, before the current design changes were made. 18" length, 26 ounces.
I have used it extensively.
If you get out and put it to use you will be very happy!

I have an M43 made by Bura, before the current design changes were made. 18" length, 26 ounces.
I have used it extensively.
If you get out and put it to use you will be very happy!
Wish I could get one made by Bura as he's no longer making any!
How does it compare to the ones I posted?

The handle was lengthened in the new design, and they are made thicker and heavier.
Yep I'm the guy that built several trappers cabins, and boo boo shelters with mine. It is still going strong.
I have one of the new style as well, I had Yangdu keep the weight to 27 or 28 ounces. The longer handle is an improvement. Even though the stock on the newer one is thicker at the spine, it is still just as thin behind the edge. The M43's are fearsome choppers.

I also have a 23 ounce, 16.5" Yek Chirra by Thammar. It is also a very capable blade in the woods. Though it doesn't penetrate as far on a swing as the M43's.

The handle was lengthened in the new design, and they are made thicker and heavier.
Yep I'm the guy that built several trappers cabins, and boo boo shelters with mine. It is still going strong.
I have one of the new style as well, I had Yangdu keep the weight to 27 or 28 ounces. The longer handle is an improvement. Even though the stock on the newer one is thicker at the spine, it is still just as thin behind the edge. The M43's are fearsome choppers.

I also have a 23 ounce, 16.5" Yek Chirra by Thammar. It is also a very capable blade in the woods. Though it doesn't penetrate as far on a swing as the M43's.
I just received a couple from Ms Yangdu that are made by Kumar it has the star is David as his mark. These are the thinnest of any HI blades I've ever received. Maybe 1/4"-5/16" thick weighing about 27oz. Very fast for their size.
I love it they are the most versatile Khukri I own!
Chopping, slashing, workable weapon!
Glad she had some light weight M43's produced!!
Thank you for all of your info wildmike!

Forgot to add they are both 17-18” in length!

Last edited:
I have a Dui Chirra by Thammar that is 1/4 inch at the spine,18" oal . It needs a bit more woods time before I can really say how it will perform.
I prefer the way the M43's move. And I can get better chops to throw with one than most axes.
They really are a one blade can do it all tool, though I paid mine with a 4-5 inch blade.
Happy to be of help!

I have a Dui Chirra by Thammar that is 1/4 inch at the spine,18" oal . It needs a bit more woods time before I can really say how it will perform.
I prefer the way the M43's move. And I can get better chops to throw with one than most axes.
They really are a one blade can do it all tool, though I paid mine with a 4-5 inch blade.
Happy to be of help!
Thank you sir!

Thought I’d revive this post as I’ve not seen many M43’s lately.
Still loving the light weight M43’s! They are awesome blades!

A lightweight M43 with proper proportions is a bit of a unicorn. I've grown to really prefer lightweight khuks in general and a light, short handled M43 is a pleasure to hold and use. Unfortunately, lightweight khukuri never seemed to be what the majority of the market wanted.

Thamar was making some really nice, light blades. I think if any kami could've made a LW M43, he was the one.

A lightweight M43 with proper proportions is a bit of a unicorn. I've grown to really prefer lightweight khuks in general and a light, short handled M43 is a pleasure to hold and use. Unfortunately, lightweight khukuri never seemed to be what the majority of the market wanted.

Thamar was making some really nice, light blades. I think if any kami could've made a LW M43, he was the one.
Thamar absolutely was amazing at what you’re talking about! I hate Thamar no longer works for HI. My Samsher is an amazing light weight almost M43 style by Thamar.
But these 2 Kumar M43’s were amazingly thin and lightweight.

The M43 is a wonderful HI blade. If I were to loose my entire collection of HI Khukuris with chance to save only a few, I would desperately hold tightly to the M43s. I like the grip better, and the exaggerated pommel.
I also find the blade curvature more aesthetically pleasing. The spine gracefully bends downward without radical angles. This does not change the way it custs slices or chops. It just looks good.
I have three M43s. I'd like to see a lighter weight version for my collection and use, perhaps around 20 ozs. and the same length as the standard M43.

2CDEA5EA-7B78-47B4-98BA-4DDC032F5D1C.jpeg This is my Thamar Samsher. If this can be 18” and weigh 21oz, why can’t an M43 be this light?
The M43 is a wonderful HI blade. If I were to loose my entire collection of HI Khukuris with chance to save only a few, I would desperately hold tightly to the M43s. I like the grip better, and the exaggerated pommel.
I also find the blade curvature more aesthetically pleasing. The spine gracefully bends downward without radical angles. This does not change the way it custs slices or chops. It just looks good.
I have three M43s. I'd like to see a lighter weight version for my collection and use, perhaps around 20 ozs. and the same length as the standard M43.

In part possibly because the blade above has a rat-tailed tang. Whereas the M43 has a full tang. I'm thinking a 15" slimmed down profile.

The Samsher in the picture seems to have a slimmer blade profile than an M43. Also a lighter tang, as Dobe just said. Less steel means less weight.

The best way to get a lighter weight M43 is to buy a vintage, WWII-era military issue blade from one of those auction sites that we are not supposed to name here. The vintage M43 is significantly lighter weight than the HI equivalent. Even then, you'd be hard pressed to find one that's 18" long and 20 oz. I think 24 oz is much more common for the vintage blades. A few ounces do make a big difference.

Also, keep in mind that the vintage M43s were weapons. They were also tools, but not the kind of heavy chopper that you'd choose to clear a patch of forest or build a log cabin. One of the reasons that the HI blade is heavier is that civilian use is more like an axe than something a soldier would carry.

My three blades are 15" with weights of 27 and one that is 25 ozs. I appreciate the weight when I'm dropping a small tree or cutting branches. I don't find it heavy at all. Although, I would like the same design and length in a lighter package for hiking.

I certainly am not complaining about the M43s that I have. They are great blades. And, if I only had light weight M43s, I'd want some at the weight that mine are now. Mine cut well, chop like an axe, and sharpen up superbly.

I've found that the shorter blades are less tiring to swing even when they are heavy. That's because the center of gravity is closer to the hand. You can still feel the weight, but it doesn't take as much finger and wrist strength to control it. Here's a picture of a Munk Chunk Bowie by Rajendra Kami that weighs a whopping 35 oz, but it's only 15" overall length. It's much easier to swing than an 18" blade of the same weight.

MunkChunkBowie15-Rajendra35-02.JPG

46AC4ACE-D73B-455A-964D-334978A06C32.jpeg
The Samsher in the picture seems to have a slimmer blade profile than an M43. Also a lighter tang, as Dobe just said. Less steel means less weight.

The best way to get a lighter weight M43 is to buy a vintage, WWII-era military issue blade from one of those auction sites that we are not supposed to name here. The vintage M43 is significantly lighter weight than the HI equivalent. Even then, you'd be hard pressed to find one that's 18" long and 20 oz. I think 24 oz is much more common for the vintage blades. A few ounces do make a big difference.

Also, keep in mind that the vintage M43s were weapons. They were also tools, but not the kind of heavy chopper that you'd choose to clear a patch of forest or build a log cabin. One of the reasons that the HI blade is heavier is that civilian use is more like an axe than something a soldier would carry.
I've found that the shorter blades are less tiring to swing even when they are heavy. That's because the center of gravity is closer to the hand. You can still feel the weight, but it doesn't take as much finger and wrist strength to control it. Here's a picture of a Munk Chunk Bowie by Rajendra Kami that weighs a whopping 35 oz, but it's only 15" overall length. It's much easier to swing than an 18" blade of the same weight.

View attachment 947360
Thanks for all the info David! Really appreciate your time.
BTW, have you used your Ultimate Fighter by Purna yet? And would it make a good chopper as well?

Greetings Everyone,

I'll start by saying that I'm new here, and I'm excited to have been given the opportunity to be a part of this community. My main interests are tomahawks, machetes, and kukris.

Out of the many HI models available, my favorite is the M43, for both the average length of 17" as well as the curvature of the blade, which closely resembles the Mk1 and Mk2 used by the Gurkhas during WW1 and WW2, which are my favorite style kukris, for use both in bush craft and survival scenarios. I was very disappointed when I saw M43 averaging 2.2 lbs, these no doubt are excellent choppers but wouldn't meet my needs. After more research I found that HI also made lightweight M43s and that Yangdu was an active member here at Bladeforums.com. I got in contact with her and after exchanging several emails, I'm now waiting on the next shipment of Lightweight M43 to arrive from Nepal. Needless to say I'm very excited!! Through my research I've seen Lightweight M43 at around 27 ounces, 17 inch length which along with curvature of the blade are more or less almost identical to the MK1 used in WW1.

Now if I may, Do any of you fine gentlemen here, own or have seen a M43 weighting between 24-27 oz?

The reason for my question is, that in anticipation of this shipment of M43 coming from Nepal, I would like to know if I can expect the possibility of obtaining an M43 closer to the weight of a WW2 MK2, 1 1/2 pounds. I appreciate any feed back, and thank you for the opportunity to be here.

I have three M-43s between 25 and 27 oz. These are by far my favorite Kukri. They feel great in the hand. They are small enough to pack, yet big enough for chopping. I am not sure why the trend for the monster Kukris, but if people are buying them, there must be a market.

Last edited:
Back