Lightweight Sage 5!

At IWA 2019 (in the YouTube video from ARHADYR), Spyderco's Eric Glesser showed the knife he was carrying in his pocket: a lightweight Sage 5! It looks to have received the same handle treatment as the LW Para 3, and it will have S30V steel. No timeline for release was mentioned. Thanks to Gsg9, who posted the interview on the Spyderco.com general discussion forum.

The Sage lw looks more like the handle treatment on a Lightweight Chaparral than the Para 3 Lightweight which looks more like a Native 5 LW handle

The Sage lw looks more like the handle treatment on a Lightweight Chaparral than the Para 3 Lightweight which looks more like a Native 5 LW handle
Thanks for the insight! By handle treatment, I just meant the change to FRN as the material, but I think you're right that the individual texture markings on the handle are like those on the FRN Chaparral, which makes sense with both knives being made in Taichung. I think the Sage's handle color more resembles that of the Para 3, at least in that one video.

Yea I agree, from what I could see. So basically it's scales (FRN) over a frame (like the Chap) instead of a solid molded piece of FRN (like the N5).

Yea I agree, from what I could see. So basically it's scales (FRN) over a frame (like the Chap) instead of a solid molded piece of FRN (like the N5).
Eric Glesser referred to this as a lightweight Sage 5 and said they’re “making these compression locks in lightweight models.” The Chaparral Gray FRN isn’t called lightweight, and it weighs only 0.4 oz less than the CF/G-10 version. The Para 3 LW weighs 1 oz less than the conventional version.

Steel liners are used in the Chaparral FRN, the current Sage 5, and the original Para 3. The Para 3 Lightweight is linerless, and I bet the Sage 5 Lightweight will be, too.

While I agree the FRN surface pattern of the LW Sage is similar to that of the Chaparral FRN, I think Eric is implying the redesign of the Sage will yield similar weight reduction to that seen with the P3, with the “streamlined” compression lock and linerless construction.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAD
Eric Glesser referred to this as a lightweight Sage 5 and said they’re “making these compression locks in lightweight models.” The Chaparral Gray FRN isn’t called lightweight, and it weighs only 0.4 oz less than the CF/G-10 version. The Para 3 LW weighs 1 oz less than the conventional version.

Steel liners are used in the Chaparral FRN, the current Sage 5, and the original Para 3. The Para 3 Lightweight is linerless, and I bet the Sage 5 Lightweight will be, too.

While I agree the FRN surface pattern of the LW Sage is similar to that of the Chaparral FRN, I think Eric is implying the redesign of the Sage will yield similar weight reduction to that seen with the P3, with the “streamlined” compression lock and linerless construction.

I checked a youtube video clip and around 1:16 I looked at what I think are liners. Here is the link

For anyone who’s gotten the LW, I’d appreciate details on the blade grind. I hope it’s unchanged from the Sage 5 (mine is about 0.019 inches behind the edge). Any idea? Especially from someone who’s had both models, it would be great to hear your take.

Thanks,
Jim

Back