Lil help with Norlund hatchet

lineman475

Gold Member
I got a Hurson Bay style from my uncle and cleaned up the head a bit, but the edge needs help. Only way I have to sharpen is a grinder and I don't want to do that. I want to keep the (convex?) edge on it. Also the handle could use some sanding and a coat of lacquer or something. My knowledge and terminology of axes/hatchets is very limited. I have a GB and I'm really getting into the "super tool" of the past.

If you guys know anyone that does that kind of work and can help, please let me know. I'll post pics tonight when I get home from work.

buy good old nickelson files made in the USA and learn how to use them, its quite easy once you get going.

Or you could use a small 1inch wide belt grinder with varied grits, just remember to cool the edge in cold water everytime it gets warm to the touch and you are fine too.

They may not be as good as they used to , but I've had good luck with the new Nicholson files.

All you need to do is get yourself a 6" or 10" single cut mill bastard file for around 10$ at your local hardware store.
Beyond that all you need is a clamp, gloves, and various grits of sandpaper ( if you don't have sharpening stones )

I would love to be able to do it myself! I have a metal/wood working shop a few miles down the road. I'll stop in on my next day off (Wednesday) And see what they have.

Yep! Follow the tutorial in An Ax to Grind (by our fellow member Old Axeman) and you'll be sharp in no time.

Not kosher with the axe spirits but all my knives and axes get worked over with a 1X32 belt sander and slack belts. If I had to sharpen every cold steel hawk or machete, abused old axe head, grohman with a crappy factory edge with stones and files, I would be at it for about 25 hours a day, 8 days a week.
After I get them convexed nicely it's just a matter of a minute or less with the strop and they are hair shaving sharp. YMMV

Back