1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lil help with Norlund hatchet

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by lineman475, Apr 30, 2016.

1. lineman475

lineman475 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I got a Hurson Bay style from my uncle and cleaned up the head a bit, but the edge needs help. Only way I have to sharpen is a grinder and I don't want to do that. I want to keep the (convex?) edge on it. Also the handle could use some sanding and a coat of lacquer or something. My knowledge and terminology of axes/hatchets is very limited. I have a GB and I'm really getting into the "super tool" of the past.

If you guys know anyone that does that kind of work and can help, please let me know. I'll post pics tonight when I get home from work.

2. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    mkomjm,.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. lineman475

Oct 6, 2011
    Lol, you ain't kidding.

4. Remzy

Remzy

Feb 7, 2015
    buy good old nickelson files made in the USA and learn how to use them, its quite easy once you get going.

Or you could use a small 1inch wide belt grinder with varied grits, just remember to cool the edge in cold water everytime it gets warm to the touch and you are fine too.

5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    They may not be as good as they used to , but I've had good luck with the new Nicholson files.

All you need to do is get yourself a 6" or 10" single cut mill bastard file for around 10$ at your local hardware store.
    Beyond that all you need is a clamp, gloves, and various grits of sandpaper ( if you don't have sharpening stones )

6. lineman475

Oct 6, 2011
    I would love to be able to do it myself! I have a metal/wood working shop a few miles down the road. I'll stop in on my next day off (Wednesday) And see what they have.

7. SC T100

SC T100

Apr 2, 2014
    Yep! Follow the tutorial in An Ax to Grind (by our fellow member Old Axeman) and you'll be sharp in no time.

8. lineman475

Oct 6, 2011
    Great info, thanks!

9. Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Sep 26, 2005
    Not kosher with the axe spirits but all my knives and axes get worked over with a 1X32 belt sander and slack belts. If I had to sharpen every cold steel hawk or machete, abused old axe head, grohman with a crappy factory edge with stones and files, I would be at it for about 25 hours a day, 8 days a week.
    After I get them convexed nicely it's just a matter of a minute or less with the strop and they are hair shaving sharp. YMMV