Liner Lock Lube and Life Span

MrStabby7

Gold Member
I'm trying to decide if putting a little lube on the lock of my liner lock knives would extend the life of them. Do you think reducing metal on metal friction would extend the life of your knives, or will the lube simply allow the lock to slip further across the blade tang reducing it? Do you think it would make any difference at all?

I'm trying to decide if putting a little lube on the lock of my liner lock knives would extend the life of them. Do you think reducing metal on metal friction would extend the life of your knives, or will the lube simply allow the lock to slip further across the blade tang reducing it? Do you think it would make any difference at all?
If it’s a quality liner lock, lubing it to slow wear isn’t necessary at all. A well made liner lock will last many years and lubing it will only increase the chances of the blade slipping shut on your fingers.

There’s no need to lube the lock face of a folder. If you feel the need to do it, use a sharpie marker or pencil on the service. But in my opinion, you’re just asking for trouble.

if the angles are setup right it shouldnt stick or cause excessive wear. if the stop pin is hardened properly too it shouldn't allow the lock bar to move more inwards under cutting pressure much if at all under normal cutting.

I see no advantage or need to using lube. can only possibly allow movement either way, which isn't wanted or needed.

Back