Review lionSTEEL Gitano GT01 UL

How does the spring strength compare to a Douk Douk if any of you have one?

I can't do that comparison, however, if we use a SAK as standard the pull to open the gitano is at least double & to close it requires 3x at least...
Its beastly the first few dozen times till it wears in a bit.....
No accidental opening or closing with this puppy!!!!!

The Lion Steel Gitano has been on The List for a while now, partly because I'm a sucker for knives based on historical designs. The Gitano is based on the old Spanish Navaja knives and this one designed by Gudy van Poppel was the custom knifemaker's first collaboration with Lion Steel. It has a 3.35" Niolox stainless steel blade, titanium bolster and liners, and green canvas Micarta scales. The Niolox is a tool steel that's not as tough as Sleipner or D2, but has even better edge retention and much protection from corrosion.

The Najava knives are practically the national knife of Spain and the backsprings were used with them since the 1700s as a locking mechanism. They were, as many of the best knives of olden times, a combination of EDC and fighting knife. Everyone carried them, but some were quicker to use them. It gets a bit of a bad rap for its association with criminals, but it would be like if American criminals exclusively used Buck 110s during knife crimes during the 1970s. Sure some people using them might be eyed suspiciously, but it would be used by a ton of other people in their every day lives too. I'd love to see Ken Onion do a version of the Andalusian navaja bandolera blade, with a slight recurve, which I think would be right up his alley. Gudy van Poppel's knife takes its name from the Spanish Gypsies of Andalusia. The Gitanos were famous knife fighters, teaching their fighting techniques to their sons the same way fathers recently taught their kids to flyfish. The knives designed for fighting were a lot bigger than the Lion Steel version. The Cold Steel Espada XL is a closer representation to the fighting knives in at least scale, although most of the fighting knives were bigger, but not the locking mechanism (can you imagine the Espada XL with a very strong backspring instead of a backlock?).

It's got a stronger backspring than most slipjoints, so it feels like the knife is locked when it's at both the open and half-opened positions. Some might argue that for a slipjoint it's a bit too strong and you do have to be mindful of how fighty it is, especially when you're closing it. Some could argue that this knife could make use of the traditional pull ring, used to disengage the backspring, that a lot of these knives had in the mid-1800s. None of my other slipjoints are this hard to close, but then none of my other slipjoints give me this much semi-locking safety when used either. It's a well made, clean design, captures the historic style well, feels good in the hand, and gives you a formal occasion knife that can hold its edge for a long time.

52864041768_c2efd4ee00_b.jpg

The Lion Steel Gitano has been on The List for a while now, partly because I'm a sucker for knives based on historical designs. The Gitano is based on the old Spanish Navaja knives and this one designed by Gudy van Poppel was the custom knifemaker's first collaboration with Lion Steel. It has a 3.35" Niolox stainless steel blade, titanium bolster and liners, and green canvas Micarta scales. The Niolox is a tool steel that's not as tough as Sleipner or D2, but has even better edge retention and much protection from corrosion.

The Najava knives are practically the national knife of Spain and the backsprings were used with them since the 1700s as a locking mechanism. They were, as many of the best knives of olden times, a combination of EDC and fighting knife. Everyone carried them, but some were quicker to use them. It gets a bit of a bad rap for its association with criminals, but it would be like if American criminals exclusively used Buck 110s during knife crimes during the 1970s. Sure some people using them might be eyed suspiciously, but it would be used by a ton of other people in their every day lives too. I'd love to see Ken Onion do a version of the Andalusian navaja bandolera blade, with a slight recurve, which I think would be right up his alley. Gudy van Poppel's knife takes its name from the Spanish Gypsies of Andalusia. The Gitanos were famous knife fighters, teaching their fighting techniques to their sons the same way fathers recently taught their kids to flyfish. The knives designed for fighting were a lot bigger than the Lion Steel version. The Cold Steel Espada XL is a closer representation to the fighting knives in at least scale, although most of the fighting knives were bigger, but not the locking mechanism (can you imagine the Espada XL with a very strong backspring instead of a backlock?).

It's got a stronger backspring than most slipjoints, so it feels like the knife is locked when it's at both the open and half-opened positions. Some might argue that for a slipjoint it's a bit too strong and you do have to be mindful of how fighty it is, especially when you're closing it. Some could argue that this knife could make use of the traditional pull ring, used to disengage the backspring, that a lot of these knives had in the mid-1800s. None of my other slipjoints are this hard to close, but then none of my other slipjoints give me this much semi-locking safety when used either. It's a well made, clean design, captures the historic style well, feels good in the hand, and gives you a formal occasion knife that can hold its edge for a long time.

52864041768_c2efd4ee00_b.jpg

Great post.....Thanx for sharing this!!! Luv the OD green canvas👍👍👍

Great post.....Thanx for sharing this!!! Luv the OD green canvas👍👍👍
Thanks. I've had my eye on this knife since it came out, one among many great knives. The tough decision was between getting it with the green canvas Micarta or Santos wood scales. Lion Steel made it tough because they have so many different scale choices and they all look good.

One.of the best things about this knife is the blade to handle size..... Big ass blade in there!!!😉

Having a hard time making this shaving sharp, when I can make VG-10 or Cruwear do it with the rods. Is it thicker? Sharpening at 15 per side with Spyderco rods. Maybe should use Sharpie? Am still rather inexperienced.

Tried to cut a zip tie at work the other day but struggled and when the customer cautioned me I just pulled out my SAK and it zipped through.

Use the sharpie trick. Depending on the factory angle you may not be hitting the apex yet. Sharpmakers are good at maintaining an edge but notoriously slow at reprofiling.

Back