Little strange maybe, but blowgun poisons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gringogunsmith said:
A GREAT book is survival poaching by Ragnar Benson. I havent seen it in 25 years and mine went away long ago.

I gave mine to my dad some years ago and he absolutely will not part with it.

Hi Amos iron wolf.. You are right on the mark on how to make the poison. It would kill a person very fast if he does not smoke but even if your body is used to it, it would still kill but might take another 5 min. Now thinking about it thats what you put in your body every time you light up. Use double gloves when you handle it cause it would hurt you just from touching.

Sasha

The Amazon indians use the poison of the dart frog on their darts. Reason for the name poison dart frog. They use it to hunt monkeys mainly but the poison is strong enough to kill a man in a matter of min.

poppajoe said:
The Amazon indians use the poison of the dart frog on their darts. Reason for the name poison dart frog. They use it to hunt monkeys mainly but the poison is strong enough to kill a man in a matter of min.
"Amazon indians?" That doesn't narrow it down much.

Actually, this claim is a little suspect for me. The Chocó of Colombia use the secretions of the Dendrobate family of frogs (which are called poison dart frogs, poison arrow frogs, dart frogs, etc.)--but most sources I've found say they use them for arrows. I haven't found very much in the literature that says they use blowguns, but I've never been there and don't know either way. The Guarani definitely use blowguns, and they're not terribly far away.

Does anyone other than the Chocó use dart frogs? Do the Chocó use blowguns for 100% certain? Does anyone else use them for darts?

That said, Poppajoe is right in the toxicity of these guys. It doesn't take much to kill ya.

Here's more than anyone wants to know.

heres the funny thing about the poison dart frogs though.

they arent poisonous if you take them out of their jungle.

it has to do with something they eat, or something that their main food supply eats that makes them toxic.

ain't nature cool?

just ordered a 62 cal blowgun. that with 12'' darts should do a good damn job on squirrels i figure. (especially since the little darts i used to use worked fine)

i'm excited. :)

Hi back, Sasha. Welcome to the posting side of the forum.

Ok, SkaerE, you know once you get that big bore you're gonna have to give us a review, don't ya?

I'm hankering after one myself. I used to have one of the .40s and it was loads of fun, and quite accurate. Then again, when I shot a bow I preferred instinctive shooting and used to throw a tomahawk and an axe, so it just fits a blow gun would be something I enjoy.

Interesting Tidbits
The Choco Indians of Western Columbia dip their arrowbeads or darts for a blowgun into the poison from certain species of frogs. To secure very deadly poison, such as the poison from Phyllobates terribilis, the Indians pin the frogs to the ground with a stick and wipe their arrows onto the skin. Frogs with a less deadly toxin are skewered over a fire which excretes large quantities of concentrated poison.

These arrows and blowgun darts are used for hunting today, but in the past they have been used in wars against other tribes.

http://www.nashvillezoo.org/blfrog.htm

that was the very first thing that came up on google....

about a month ago there was a hour long thing on the discovery channel about it.

outdoorsman1911 said:
Interesting Tidbits
The Choco Indians of Western Columbia dip their arrowbeads or darts for a blowgun into the poison from certain species of frogs. To secure very deadly poison, such as the poison from Phyllobates terribilis, the Indians pin the frogs to the ground with a stick and wipe their arrows onto the skin. Frogs with a less deadly toxin are skewered over a fire which excretes large quantities of concentrated poison.

These arrows and blowgun darts are used for hunting today, but in the past they have been used in wars against other tribes.

http://www.nashvillezoo.org/blfrog.htm

that was the very first thing that came up on google....

about a month ago there was a hour long thing on the discovery channel about it.
Mod told me too stay out of here

What happens to that poisoned dart if you miss? This is nasty stuff to mess around with.

At one point they used nicotine in "tranquilizer darts". As I recall it causes paralysis and death by suffocation in high enough dosages. Since this is a "survival forum" I think it most appropriate to discuss things you might have on you or would be able to find in the wild. Old smoked cigarette butts could be a source of nicotine, but a more concentrated source is common "tree tobacco" which grows wild in the south. It has small tubular yellow flowers and sort of dull green colored leaves. You can get nicotine from boiling the leaves.

eaton_treetobacco1.jpg

nigl1.gif

You might run across bushman's arrow poison bushes in the wild (sort of African curare), but they are much more common as a landscaping shrub. The technical name is "Acokanthera venenata":

Acokanthera.jpeg

PS. The last place I saw Acokanthera venenata growing was by the UCLA Biomedical Library. It even had a nice sign to identify it.

Rhubarb leavs are highly toxic. Pure the leavs and boil off the extra. If you can concentrate the toxins fromt he leavs...Symptoms are Convulsions followed by coma, followed by Death.

Rhubarb STEMS make tasty jams and pie fillings.

Rhubarb also seeds and grows very easily.

Another posibility is castor beans. One or two seeds contain enough poison to kill an adult.

Jasmine berries are also fatal.

Hemlock is also a classical example.

Mr. Trooper, most of those poisons are too slow to be useful for hunting. For example the Russians liked to use ricin from castor beans in their poison pellet guns since the death was so far removed from the attack that the death looked more natural.

The first blowgun I bought(late 1980s) came with a small booklet on the history of the Jivaro Indian's use of the blowgun and also how to make poison from tobacco leaves.

this is an old thread but it made me smile when someone mention Poor Mans James Bond

Kurt Saxon's crazy videos are what really got me into survival as a young teen

While nicotine is dangerous we can,t always preach only to the lowest denominator of stupid. Just minimal common sense will keep you safe. The same as with many poisons used in yards and households. Btw you can pick up 40% nicotine sulfate solution as a natrual insecticde from some garden centers and nurseries. There use to be a stump paste that was almoat pure nicotine do not recall the brand name. Our family has used a pot full of chewing tobacco brewee up for a few hours to ake insecticide for the yard. Works great.

The issues with almost all of these poisons is time to work til they are fatal versus how long it takes your game to run out of site or get somewhere as to be unretrievable. If we had the tree frogs or the ants they eat that gives the their toxins that's one thing but we do not have anything short of cyanide or milking snake venom that's going to work. Please don't go trying to catch copperheads and rattlers now so you can poison your darts or arrow tips. LOL.

You always need to weigh the cost to benefits ratio. Its not like you are doing this to put life saving food on the table and you have many means.

Check out this video of poison dart hunting on YouTube. "Tim Wells and Buck Blow gun Hunt". (I can't copy and paste the link from my phone...)

man, there's insecticides by the ton, available to anyone, and the nicotine's already highly concentrated in them. Once you barb the dart and dip it in the poison, you stick the dart into some sort of sheath (ie, corrogated cardboard cut to shape) and put it into a PVC pipe sort of container. Something that won't let the poison soak thru, and can't be pierced by the dart (say during a hard fall to a hard surface).

Nightshade grows abundantly in North America and the juice from its red berries can be boiled down and concentrated into a syrup thick enough to coat an absorbent bamboo dart several times to make it a lethal heart stopper. To make the dart even more lethal, it can be soaked in a concentrated solution of potassium chloride before applying nightshade (digitalis.) Be very careful not to poke yourself even a little with the dart, or you will need cardiac paddles and a blood transfusion to rejoin the living. Fentanyl, if you can get it, makes a great "sleeper dart" venom. It will put a home intruder in lala land very quickly, giving you plenty of time to open his skull with a nine iron.

Nightshade grows abundantly in North America and the juice from its red berries can be boiled down and concentrated into a syrup thick enough to coat an absorbent bamboo dart several times to make it a lethal heart stopper. To make the dart even more lethal, it can be soaked in a concentrated solution of potassium chloride before applying nightshade (digitalis.) Be very careful not to poke yourself even a little with the dart, or you will need cardiac paddles and a blood transfusion to rejoin the living. Fentanyl, if you can get it, makes a great "sleeper dart" venom. It will put a home intruder in lala land very quickly, giving you plenty of time to open his skull with a nine iron.
Lala land or DEAD! Are you aware that fentanyl is responsible for thousands of overdose deaths nation wide? But you would be charged with murder anyway for braining some one with a nine iron. This is a really stupid thing to post for your first post.--KV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back