Living out of a backpack

Whether in the city or the wild, how much and what do you put in your backpack to survive?

What's the longest time you have survived out of a backpack and where have you backpacked?

The allure of backpacking, unlimited adventure!

Kahz :)

Originally posted by Kahz
Whether in the city or the wild, how much and what do you put in your backpack to survive?

Well, they tend to be substantially different situations, but, having had experience living for short periods of time in city and suburbs out of a backpack, and out of my pockets, I'll share some of the things i've carried with me to make the experience easier/better.

1. Attached to keys: Photonlight II(Yellow), Princeton Tec Pulsar (similar to photon, white light), Traser Glow Ring

2. Wallet with ID, blood donor card, and some cash and change.

3. A good one-handed folder at minimum (fixed-blade is better, but legalities may apply).

4. some paracord, and bandannas are also exceptionally useful.

5. medical kit-doesn't need to be excessive, but some bandages, neosporin, ibuprofen, etc. go a long way.

6. lighter and matches

7. a few garbage bags are useful, also.

8. getting clean water is not normally a problem in civilization, provided you have or can get containers. however, it still doesn't kill to have water purification means on you. (beware: indistrial run-off)

9. appropriate clothing, to include a hat, even if you think it's too warm for one (wait until it's raining and windy one night, and it will be a lot colder than you thought it would be).

10. A SAK or multi-tool goes a long way, so much so that you can do just fine if it's your only blade. Just be aware of it's edge-holding limitations.

11. A good flashlight is an item that isn't too often used, but useful when needed.

12. a fast, or easy to make food source is also good. anything from Powerbar type thing to Ramen noodles (which will become palatable, if crunchy, if soaked in even cool water for long enough).

13. a little bit of soap can do wonders, although this is more a luxury than a survival item.

14. in the same category: spare socks.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll post back with more if I think of anything.

What's the longest time you have survived out of a backpack and where have you backpacked?

Like I mentioned, my experience is somewhat limited. Lived out of my pockets once for four days, with a backpack and advance warning, nine.

Also, if anybody wants, I have a great article on serious urban survival, written by someone who survived being homeless for a while. I'll send it to anyone who e-mails me and asks for it: joe1@zensearch.net This is really the key to any type of survival. Without the necessary knowledge, all the tools in the world won't do you any good.

Stay Sharp,
Joe S.

Wonderful post! Thank you so much. I had never thought of carrying a blood type/donor card, since I have never needed it. Better safe than sorry, tho. I will now get one in order to carry it with me every day in my backpack.

Kahz

I've gone only about 9 days out of a backpack (wilderness), but have spent over a month living out of a canoe on a couple lakes and rivers in the Yukon. The best way to determine the appropriate contents of your kit is to do some shorter trips and gradually work up to longer ones. A good 5 day pack trip will weed out a lot of the things you don't need and identify those you should have brought. It will help you project your needs out to 10-30 days.

One technique that Colin Fletcher advocated in my old edition of The Complete Walker was to unload your entire pack on your livingroom floor when you get home from a trip. After removing the essential emergency gear, divide everything else into three piles: (1) Used daily, (2) used occasionally, and (3) never used. Leave piles 2 and 3 at home next time. Although you may not want to be quite that strict, it is a good exercise to go through.

I've backpacked quite a bit, and I really try to keep the load as light as possible. One thing I discovered is that dryer lint makes great fire starter, and you can comapct a lot of it down to almost nothing.

I lived for two weeks out of a backpack. In my opinion weight is not as big of a pain as bulk or mass. I always buy compression straps for my sleeping bag. That helps.

PS: one thing I have learned is to put everything in plastic ziploc bags for when it rains, or maybe your bag gets wet some other way. Cause when your bag gets wet, life gets very bad!

Trip wth Scouts Canada, 26 days, 40lbs of gear... 15ppl.

If I didn't have to go at the moment, I'd spend 20minutes and type up my gear list... I'll be back in a bit to do it.

Here's one area where I have a lot of experience, having been homeless several times over the years. If you count travel between urban areas as wilderness, I've done quite a lot of that as well.
First, I'll say that Joe S is right about living out of pockets. You'd be amazed by how much you can carry in your pants, etc, especially with some of the new multipocket fasion wear. If you're talking urban survival, these offer much lower profile than a backpack, and can be suplimmented with a bookbag. Add close to the body holsters, and sheathes, and just about everything besides clothes can be carried on the person.

First, weapons, and tools. A folder is obvious, I like the Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn covert because it's a no frills sturdy dependable blade that's a lot deadlier than it looks, and legal lenth in most areas. Use your own judgement, if you're even posting on this forum, you've probably got enough of an opinion to decide for yourself.
A gun is probably a bad idea in the city. You won't need it in for hunting, and it's defensive value is limited, (Feel free to argue, I've never need to use one, even when attacked while carrying.) If you do carry one, make it a derringer, or revolver. I hate to pick up brass, and the police are getting increasingly sophisticated in matching case to gun. A NAA .22 LR/magnum mini is more than sufficient for scaring off the occasional crack head, or getting gang banger's heads down so you can run.
Multitools are nice, but I like compact dedicated tools that do many things. You can use more than one at a time. Mini maglite/kubaton, Hemostats ($5 at radio shack), P38 can opener, hanky/bandanna, changepurse/sap ($2 in nickles is heavy, cheap, and deniable), tye wraps, Cigarette lighters (Plural), fluid, latex/vinyl gloves packed in a pill bottle, folding scissors, condoms in a smaller bottle, needles/thread, etc.
One 24 oz/liter bottles are the best thing for water in the city, and they come prefilled. Lots of foods will keep for a day, and it's not hard to get more, so don't carry too much. Frito's are rather compact, and can be repackaged in ziplocks.
Buy a box, fold all but one in half, and put them in the other. Some deli meats can last about two days unrefrigerated. Pastrami, hard salami, pepperoni, and other (preserved) meats work best. Hard cheeses (parmisan, pecorino romao, etc) keep reasonably well. Bread is fine for a week. Cans are heavy, but stash well. Macaroni & cheese is less convenient, but tastes better, and has more nutrition than Ramen. Condiments are free as long as you don't get abusive. Honey is especially nice, but messy if the packet breaks. Used cans can be washed (Thuroughly), and kept for cooking. I suggest getting a #10 can, using the contents immediately, and holding on to it for cooking/eating. Alluminum foil is wonderfull stuff, and the heavy duty lasts for ever. I've cooked literally on the streets of phoenix, but pallets burn well if the pavement isn't that hot. Candles put out enough heat for minor cooking, and several can be taped together. A coffie can can be made into an excellent wax stove by putting in 7-12 candles, and waiting untill the wax starts vaporizing, and flaring. Grab you'r cooking can with channel locks taped together for a handle. Never cook with gasoline, or lighter fluid, and make sure you get wax candles, not plastic.
I've got a lot more advice, but this post is getting too long. If you really want to know urban survival, go to a soup kitchen, and ask an expert.

Back