Living with a SureFire 6P

I'd like to hear from users of the SureFire line of products.

I'm considering a 6P for general carry-around use. Looking for input on battery/bulb life and general reliability.

-R

If you use your flashlight for moments at a time the Sure Fire 6P is acceptable. The clencher is the lithium batteries. If you use the flashlight alot you'll go through the batteries quite fast. Even at bulk rate prices, it can get expensive fast feeding this light. If you plan on using the flashlight alot I recommend the 8X or 6R

There have been reports of fragile bulbs in the 6P. Burning out after dropping it on a hard surface. I've dropped mine on a wooden floor and linoleum. It survived that. (All accidents of course.) I haven't dropped it on a concrete floor so I can't speak for that.

If you need a really bright light in a small package with quality construction the 6P is hard to beat. There are 3 more flashlights that use 2 DL123 lithium batteries you might consider. dano did a post in the community forum comparing them.

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000969.html

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

[This message has been edited by David Williams (edited 05-13-2000).]

Hey David!
smile.gif
Nice of Spark to come up with this forum, huh? Specially to us gadget freaks.. hehe..

Anyway, I own a Surefire 6Z Combatlight, basically similar to the 6P, except for the different design.

True, it does eat up the batteries fast, even if you're just toying around with it. When using it, use it sparingly. I believe its primary purpose isn't really for general utility use, but more fot tactical use, hence the push-button switch at the rear.

I have dropped it once on concrete floor,but there was no noticeable damage, not even on the frame. Pretty tough if you ask me.

Dan

6P here. I've had it for about 6 years now and its going strong. Original bulb, changed the batteries I dont know how many times. (Generally I am a real Duracell fan but for 3v. lithium batteries go for Panasonic if you can find them, much better life.) I keep it either in my briefcase, or the console of the Jeep moving it into my pocket as needed.

I bought one for a friend who is a police officer on a local department a few years ago. No one else on her department has one so she really enjoys showing it off. Her husband likes it so well he bought one of his own.

Mike

I have a 6P that has been through several training exercises and still works great. Mine isn't watertight so that was just the excuse I needed to buy an M2 Centurion. The M2 costs more but that thing is the ultimate personal light imho. Waterproof, Pyrex glass lens (no more scratches) and a pocket clip. Yeah, yea, I'm a gear head.

Had a 6P but sold it for a 9P, which sits by my bedside next to my Beretta. I have dropped both several times with no problems.

For a utility light, the 6P is nice, though the batteries go quickly. A rechardgeable is probably a better choice for utility (something like the Stinger, though it is a bit bigger)

Anyone care to compare the 6P to the Streamlight Scorpion and perhaps the UK 2L? Would like to see some head to head to head comparos.

Thanks!

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

"Hi, my name is John and I'm an addict"

I own two regular 6Ps, two OD anodized 6Ps (one still in the shrink wrapped box
smile.gif
), one 9Z and a custom 6V system on my house AR.

I also own other lights including (but not limited too) TACMIII, Photon, Maglight, Insights Tech, ect. But Surefires are my favorite.

I've done without other things, just to buy a new light. I've lied to loved ones about my lights ("No Honey, I've had that one" or "No, no Honey, that's Mike's light. He just left it here by accident").

When Surefire came out with the "High Intensity" bulbs (P61 and P91), I bought one for every light . . . and a couple of spares . . just in case . . you never know . . . .

They say that realizing you have a problem is the first step . . . . . . I feel much better, Thanks.

John Hollister

. . . and I just ordered an M2 Centurion.

• *Anodized body
    *Pyrex lens
    *Waterproof
    *Lockout tailcap
    *Pocket Clip
    *Octagonal Bezel
    *120 lumens (w/ P61 bulb)
    smile.gif

centurion.jpg

I have owned a 6P (converted to a 6R) and now own a 3P as well. These are outstanding little lights with enough brightness to stun a trespasser in the dark (BTDT) and they are small enough to carry in your fanny pack, pocket or attached to your belt. They seriously put the Mini-Mag to shame. My 3P (only one battery) is among my "American Express" list of things never to be without along with the Glock du jour, Spyderco Endura, SAK super tinker, silver dollar, and other personal essentials.

------------------
Where no law exists there still must be justice- Dan Mahoney

Did the M2 replace the 6Z and where are you folks ordering it (the M2) from? Also is the
M2s bezel anti-shock? I've dropped a 6z twice on concrete, once it broke the bulb; the other time no problem. Got an anti-shock bezel to alleviate any future problems but took it off since it dramatically increases the diameter of the bezel. If the M2 has the anti-shock feature built in w/what looks to be the same diameter bezel as the 6P/6Z family, that would be a real plus.

booshank

The M2 is an addition to the line. As is the D2 "Defender" and D3 "Guardian", which are basically upgraded versions of the 6P and 9P.

You can see these models and descriptions here.

I don't know about the shock head.

I ordered mine through a local dealer, however, Botach has them on their web site.

Warning, the pricing is not for the faint of heart.

John Hollister

I have a 6P and a 6R. I agree with the bettery complaint, but I don't usually use the 6P for extended periods. The 6R is beside my bed but is also used for general use. I carry the 6P because it's smaller than the 6R, but a rechargable would be nice. If you want a rechargable, get the 8X or the 9N. A friend has an 8X, and it blows away my 6's. One recommendation is to get the lanyard ring so that you don't drop it on the ground. It also lets you drop the light without it hitting the ground. You can learn to flip the light back into your hand. Don't bother with the actual lanyard; you can get the cord and cordlocks from any outdoor store.

That Centurion looks cool; the clip looks handy.

For the 6P/R or 8X, 9N, Cutlery Shoppe has decent prices.

Thanks for the info John. The M2 does appear
to have some upgraded features over the 6Z whether the features are worth $40 more than the 6z is another matter; although rational thought may not be a factor for this sort of thing.

The 6P is a good little light. That damn shock-resist bezel is a pain, though, as it doesn't fit in any conventional 6P holder...

I think Surefire is due for a serious wake-up call, as the new stuff is cost prohibitive to most, and the performance gained doesn't equal the additional cost...

--dan

You guys are right, Surefire has lost their damn minds when it comes to pricing. Some models are in the $300 - $400 range. For that matter, over $100 for a flashlight is a tad nuts.

I remember looking at a 6P and thinking "$50 . . . for a flashlight?! And the batteries are $12 a pair!" (At least the batteries have come down in price)

I told you . . . I'm an addict.

Buy a 6P, it's all the flashlight you'll ever need . . . . . OK, put a P61 bulb in it, but then it's all the light you'll ever need.

John

I have half a dozen so each of the 6Ps and 9Ps. Have never had problems with them. However, I keep them in nylon pouches. This cushions the lights, and I have never had one break the lamp assembly. I did have one lamp assy. go bad, but the light had not been dropped. It was probably faulty from the factory.

The other thing that the nylon pouch does is prevent the light from accidentally being turned on by the push button on the tail cap.

One modification I have found useful is to put a rubber 0 ring, 1" OD x 13/16" ID (3/32" thick), between the tail cap and the barrel. This causes the tail cap to contact the 0 ring (and compressing it slightly) just before the light comes on by screwing the tail cap down; this prevents the flashlight from being turned on accidentally if it is rolling around in a glove box, or stuck in your jeans pocket.

I use Sure-Fires as an in between light. I carry one with me, as well as a 3 cell MagLight with Carley xenon lamp. Photons are the other end of the spectrum.

I use a Photon if I don't have my leather bag with me (which has the SF and ML in it); use the Sure-Fire for lots of light for a short time, up close (the quasi-Fresnel lens does not focus that well, so it is somewhat of a flood). The MagLight, due to superior focussing, will actually illuminate a small area more brightly than a Sure-Fire 9P with 91 lamp assy. at 25 yards and beyond. At 50 yards, you can see things with the MagLight you can't see with the SF. Better yet, the ML will burn for 12-14 hours.

There are three things to consider about ANY flashlight:

How much light will you need?

How long will you need the light?

Will you have the light with you when you need it (this is what favors the smaller lights)?

Hope this helps,

St. Walter The Illuminated, CTT

I'm considering a 6P for general carry-around use. Looking for input on battery/bulb life and general reliability.

The SureFire is compact and very bright, and very well made. On the downside, with the standard bulb (p60), it goes through the relatively expensive batteries in only an hour, so it's expensive to run. Although there's a fair array of experiences, there are enough reports of SureFire lamp assemblies breaking after just a short drop that you have to consider them a little fragile -- and it's around $18 per pop every time you want to replace one.

I consider the Surefire an excellent tactical light, but less impressive as an everyday bright utility light.

So, if by "general carry-around use", you mean you'll be using it for your job, working around the house, etc., on a constant basis, I think it's a bad choice. If for some reason you need a really bright light for these jobs, there are much better choices. E.g., UKE 2L, less expensive to run, not quite as bright (though still very bright nonetheless) but runs a lot longer on the batteries, even more lightweight and compact. I'd also look at the 4-AA and even 2-AA models of UKE, Pelican, Princeton Tec.

On the other hand, for general carry around use, where you don't have some kind of constant utility in mind, the Surefire is great. My M-2 plays that role for me, sometimes swapping for a UKE 2L. I carry it around, nothing in particular in mind to use it for, and occasionally something pops up. At night, backup defense uses come to mind. But it's really used kind of rarely. When I know I have a specific job in mind, and I know I need a lot of light, I reach for my Maglite 2-AA with the bright Brinkmann bulb, or for brighter needs the UKE 2L.

Joe

Back