LM Charge - after a couple of months use...

Well I wish my old SwissTool and my new Charge Ti would have sex and make a baby !!

Would love the Charge to have ALL the Tools and the Ruler on the outside - like on the SwissTool....

Would love the Charge to have a positive "click" when the Tools and Ruler are put back in not just when pulled out - like on the SwissTool....

Would love the Charge to have an Awl or Chisel instead of the almost useless micro screwdrivers - like on the SwissTool....

Also, wish the Charge had the bigger Scissors like on the old LM Wave....

Guess I will just have to sit tight for a few years until Leatherman release their new and improved models !!

Perfectionist said:
Would love the Charge to have an Awl or Chisel instead of the almost useless micro screwdrivers - like on the SwissTool....

I wholeheartedly agree on that one. The micro screwdrivers are a waste of space. I would much rather have an awl or a chisel.

shootist16 said:
I wholeheartedly agree on that one. The micro screwdrivers are a waste of space. I would much rather have an awl or a chisel.

Sounds good.

Damn the thing I want most in the Charges (after they have babies) is for them to become super popular, no one has them, and I have never seen one in person.

Are the micro tools on the Charge useless because you don't have a use for them, or because they're badly done?

probably NO USE for them. they are small, but I doubt useless.

I think the scissors work much better myself, my wave scissors were always getting jammed up.

hope any of this helps?

The tiny micro screwdrivers are useful in theory but in practice don't do a very good job - the size of the tool means you cant tell how much torque you are putting on the screw and you end up over-tightening or stripping the screw head.... the SAK mini screwdriver is probably the best for this kind of thing, having a tiny screwdriver on the more "industrial" Leathermans doesnt quite fit the kind of tasks I normally use the tool for.... however, the tiny philips head makes an excellent make-shift Awl which I use mainly to punch starter holes for drilling/screwing into wood and the flip side tiny flat head comes in useful as a scribe/marker/gauger etc.... maybe its not that bad after all !!

The normal flat head driver could also be sharpened up to perform like a chisel I guess as there is already the bit driver with slotted drivers....

A few more minor niggles though....

I wish they had used a Stud to open the main blades (Sebenza style !) instead of a hole - I have hardly any skin left on my thumb now :grumpy:

I wish they had used "normal" screws to keep the tool together as then you could tighten/loosen the movement of everything to your individual taste - its taken 2 months of constant use (and play) to get my Charge loosened up enough to use how I like it :grumpy:

I wish the lock for the removable lanyard was differant - it could come out (taking my keys with it!) when unlocking one of the tools :grumpy:

I wish they had put the Crimper and Cutting Hook on the Ti like they did on the XTi :mad:

I wish .......

Perfectionist said:
Well I wish my old SwissTool and my new Charge Ti would have sex and make a baby !!

I'm curious about which features you prefer on the Charge. So far it sounds like you just need to buy a SwissTool X. :)

--Bob Q

Glad I stuck with my Wave while the crowd was out buying these. Seems like a real disappointment.

guy g said:
Glad I stuck with my Wave while the crowd was out buying these. Seems like a real disappointment.

I wish I would have kept my Wave. I sold it to get the Charge Ti and when it arrived I was so disappointed with it I sold it to get the SwissTool Spirit.

Can anyone tell me where to get good prices on the Spirit? I found one place that has pre-orders on the Spirit Plus for around $45, but they only list the leather sheath and I really want the nylon version. Unfortunately no one else has been within $25 of that price...

--Bob Q

bquinlan said:
Can anyone tell me where to get good prices on the Spirit? I found one place that has pre-orders on the Spirit Plus for around $45, but they only list the leather sheath and I really want the nylon version. Unfortunately no one else has been within $25 of that price...

--Bob Q

Cheapest I've seen them going for is around 95 US dollars and that was also with a leather sheath. Actually I don't think I've seen any websites offering the nylong sheath yet. If you found one for a little over 70 dollars somewhere then thats probably the cheapest you could get one right now for without pre-ordering.

I must sound like I hate the Charge !! No - I love the darn thing - so much so that I wish it was perfect and of course, nothing really is ....

I didnt mean to put anybody off buying one and personally think it is the best multi-tool in the market right now - the main blades are fantastic, CM154 steel on the plain blade and both are a great size and shape and work beautifully - so good in fact that I no longer EDC a seperate folder (which did sometimes give the wrong impression to people!)

Im sure Leatherman will bring out a new model in a few years which will be even better though - if they brought out the best they could straight away, nobody would need to buy another to upgrade !

I use the small screwdrivers all the time for glasses and fishing reels. They work for me. They would be easyer to us if they were a little bit bigger, but I have been glad to have them on a number of occasions.

Back