Lock Bar tension on Sebenza 31

About a month ago I bought a small Sebenza 31 for my wife l. She loves it, and I fell in love with it as well. So I bought a large Sebenza 31 for myself. Since then I have been constantly frustrated that it is all but impossible to open either knife with one hand. I have done a bit of research, so I know that this is an oft noted complaint about Sebenzas.

I have disassembled, cleaned and lubricated each knife, and have concluded that the knives are working exactly as they are designed to work with one exception, the lock bar, which is excessively stiff and resistant to being pushed with just my thumb. Put simply the lockbar tension is too high and this makes the knives difficult to open and close.

When I checked this out with AI it advised me that I could use “ …a small flathead screwdriver to bend the lockbar spring slightly. Be careful not to bend the lockbar spring too much, or the lock may not engage properly.”

I was a little wary of using a screwdriver to bend the lock bar. I hit on the idea that instead of a screwdriver I could substitute a small piece of wood to apply pressure against the lock bar. So I very gently inserted a small wooden chopstick between the lock bar and the back of the knife and let it sit overnight. As a result this appears to have reduced some lock bar tension and the knife opens a little more smoothly.

I am, however, a bit concerned that I may damage the lock bar if I continue using this method to reduce lock bar tension. I am very new to high-end knives. In fact, I know nothing about them. Two months ago I had never heard of Chris Reeve, or Sebenza , or lock bar, etc.

So I am wondering what people who know much more about knives may think about this method of breaking in a Sebenza. Is it a good idea? Or am I in danger of damaging these two wonderful knives?

Did both knives exhibit this behavior when new or after disassembly? I ask because in your narrative you fell in love with the small 31 first, then struggled with the action after the purchase of the large.

Sebenzas are not known for fast deployment, but they should be easy to operate one handed. Wondering if you've got a pinched washer.

Edit: Give the knives a chance to break in naturally. Leave the lockbar tension alone.

My sebenza was pretty stiff but I could still easily slow roll it and the lock bar was a little tough to unlock but after handling it fidgeting with it dor about 2 weeks it suddenly broke in. Now I can thumb flick it and the lock bar has lightened up noticeably.

As mentioned above, if nothing’s wrong with the washers than just give it time. Also, I would think it would be rare to have two of them with the same problem, especially from CRK.

Welcome Charles Carroll Charles Carroll to BFC !!
Putting a wooden wedge in the knife isn’t doing anything. It certainly wont hurt the knife. The lock bar tension can be adjusted only one way, and that’s by taking the knife apart, measuring the position of the lock barf when it isn’t under stress of the blade and bending it slightly outward.
IK would not recommend doing that, you’d want to send it to CRK for that type of adjustment. A couple things to consider, the ceramic lock ball could be settling in making it harder to open. With a good quality knife, there is a break in period due to the tight tolerances and will wear in to provide a long life without issues later on. There isn’t much real-estate to grab on to disengaging the lock bar. You’re going to have to find a way to get a little more thumb on the lock bar. It does get easier the longer you have it.
Either you’ll get it, or you’ll get so frustrated that you’ll sell it. None of my 21/31’s are a problem for me. I have four Umnumzaan’s and one has a stiff lock bar. So, what I’ve been doing is operating the knife when I’m watching T.V. in order to get it like the others. I’ll do that until my thumb is sore and then put it up to let my thumb rest.

I always have to ask- are you pressing on the lockbar with your other fingers as you you are attempting to open it with your thumb? You would be fighting against yourself.If it easily opens with 2 hands, this may be the problem.
If this happens to be the case, all you need do is reposition your fingers .

Last edited:
I would be reluctant to bend the lock bar.

Rather, my suggestion is to follow the break in procedure on CRK’s website. If that and a breakdown, cleaning, and regrease doesn’t work enough for you to open (though still stiff, maybe quite stiff) maybe send it in. If the knives get to the point you can open one hand, just use it and be patient. They’ll get there.

i’ve only purchased 4 of these over the past 20 or so years and one is still new in the box. I’m always worried something is wrong when I start a new one, but eventually all three have broken in and keep getting better with use.

There is still a noticeable difference between each of the three in rotation, with my oldest being amazingly easy (I’ve used the hell out of that one, it was a true EDC for at least 7 years). The newest (still hasn’t been re-sharpened once yet) is fairly stiff. The middle falls in between, but closer to the first.

I know it’s frustrating, but IMHO, well worth the patience and wait.

I always have to ask- are you pressing on the lockbar with your other fingers as you you are attempting to open it with your thumb? You would be fighting against yourself.If it easily opens with 2 hands, this may be the problem.
If this happens to be the case, all you need do is reposition your fingers .
I thought of this too.
How does the knives open and close if you use two hands?

If it's not user error (pressing on the lockbar with your other fingers) make use of your warranty and mail it to CRK. Fill out the form on CRK.com

You've been given the correct info already. Either break it in while paying attention to applied pressure on the lock bar while opening it or send it in if you think it's faulty. Trying to adjust it yourself often leads to a 500 dollar paperweight. When you bought your CRK you also bought some of the best customer service in the industry.

Not to pile on further but you are admittedly new to CRK and higher end knives and you attempted to "fix" your issue BEFORE asking for advice; this sounds like a dangerous road.

Pause, deep breath, read the posts above about finger placement on the lock bar while opening ... and yes, CRK's warranty is amongst the best; you paid the premium allow them to do any modifications.

Another thing to consider- if you determine the lockbar is faulty and work is needed, if you do the work and latter decide to sell, this should be disclosed and will greatly devalue the knife. If CRK does the work I don't feel you would even need to mention it. It is completly a matter of trust and not just how well you do the work.
I personaly go with user error(or break in). It is highly unlikely to get 2 out of 2 knives with this same problem, when most have never had 1 with it.
Another area to consider is your opening motion on the thumb stud, some seem to have a problem with it.
good luck with this

Last edited:
I suggest not to modify the lockbar pressure. Can have other effects, like detent and lock safety issues.

Start by using your index finger to close (turn the knife around and put your thumb on the spine). After some break-in period, it will be easier to close with your thumb, if you don't push with your other fingers (middle and ring) on the lock bar.

It’s all been said above but: You just can’t imagine how little of an amount of pressure applied by your finger or fingers on the lock bar can make it very difficult to open. My natural instinctive grip on the knife places my finger on the lock bar every time. Grab the knife (as if you’re ready to open it) and take a look at where your finger is resting before you even start to open it.
As stated, if you can open the knife easily with two hands and it’s smoothly operating, you need to pay special attention to where your index and possibly the middle finger are sitting when encountering this problem.
I have the same issue my friend. If that is the issue, a grip adjustment and building muscle memory seems to be the only fix. It will get smoother with time but I would stress as others have not to try to “adjust” the lock bar.
A pinched washer or over tightening the pivot screw will make it stiff to open also. My Sebenza blade when open will fall to a 90 degree angle when held horizontally blade down and the lock bar disengaged. Knife fully open, lock bar on bottom and press with the thumb. The blade will pivot down to pointing to the floor. It does take a good bit of thumb pressure to do that but I perform that (unnecessary) test after cleaning and adjusting. No blade play, good solid lockup and a smooth operation. That’s most likely TMI
Welcome to bladeforums and good luck

Welcome to bladeforums and the CRK community!

I think you have gotten good advice here. I know I have read others adjust lock bar tension, so they can advise on the technique and risks. I have no experience trying it, but I understand the mechanics of it and I think it could be done without ruining the knife. However, I don’t recommend it and I would opt to break it in naturally if it was me.

My son has a new 31. It was way more difficult to open than my older sebenza when he got it. My son has been carrying and using it daily for 4 months and it has broken in very nicely. It’s probably been opened and closed 1000 times. Here is what I observe:

His opening technique, the C-motion with his thumb, became natural and smooth. It’s different than other knives and takes some practice.

The detent became slightly softer and easier to open. I think this is natural as it breaks in.

The action became much smoother as the washers naturally polished while breaking in.

The lockbar tension is still strong compared to my older 21. I think this is a deliberate design choice for the ceramic lock interface. That said, the knife is much easier to open than it was when new. It’s strong, but pleasant. My son thinks mine feels weak by comparison.

If I were you, I’d give it more time before attempting to modify the knife. It definitely changes while breaking in. Your thumb will get a little sore, but you’ll bond with the knife in the process.

Best of luck.

Welcome Charles Carroll Charles Carroll to BFC !!
Putting a wooden wedge in the knife isn’t doing anything. It certainly wont hurt the knife. The lock bar tension can be adjusted only one way, and that’s by taking the knife apart, measuring the position of the lock barf when it isn’t under stress of the blade and bending it slightly outward.
IK would not recommend doing that, you’d want to send it to CRK for that type of adjustment. A couple things to consider, the ceramic lock ball could be settling in making it harder to open. With a good quality knife, there is a break in period due to the tight tolerances and will wear in to provide a long life without issues later on. There isn’t much real-estate to grab on to disengaging the lock bar. You’re going to have to find a way to get a little more thumb on the lock bar. It does get easier the longer you have it.
Either you’ll get it, or you’ll get so frustrated that you’ll sell it. None of my 21/31’s are a problem for me. I have four Umnumzaan’s and one has a stiff lock bar. So, what I’ve been doing is operating the knife when I’m watching T.V. in order to get it like the others. I’ll do that until my thumb is sore and then put it up to let my thumb rest.
Acually sustained pressure appied against the lock bar with a wooden wedge seems to have worked for me, leastwise I now can open the Sebenza one handed. But I not going to continue using a wooden wedge. I think as I manually open it more often over time the lock bar will eventually loosen until it opens the way it opens in the many videos I have watched. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

/Charles

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YHcEDqUAQLjUcn2U6

Last edited:
Of course posting this next comment is considered sacrilege by some on a CRK based forum but since I’m not brand specific on any level, I will trudge on.
Have you considered just selling your CRK knives while they are still worth somewhere near the original price and prior to altering them, possibly losing all of your investment and voiding any warranty?
It’s a knife. CRK is not for everyone. There are several high quality blades out there in this price range that require no special grip adjustments, no toughening of the thumb or anything special but are just a joy the minute you first try them.
I personally find CRK knives to be without a doubt the hardest to open and get used to “for me” of all the thumb stud opening folders I have ever held and I have handled A LOT of them from customs to bargain basement cheapo’s. That doesn’t mean they’re not high quality pieces, just that they might not be the right design and fit for you regardless of how pretty they are.
This difficulty with opening is widely publicized. Obviously there are plenty of people out there that don’t experience this difficulty (or just refuse to admit that it’s a big deal) and absolutely love CRK’s but many do find the opening difficult and objectionable.
CRK’s are great knives but there is a reason that there are all sizes, shapes and types out there.
Sometimes just accepting that something is beautiful and desirable but just not a fit for you is a good thing.
I like the looks of Ferrari’s and Porsche’s but they aren’t a fit for me.
Let’s face it: if you had been able to pick those knives up and handle them prior to purchase, would you have gone ahead and bought a knife designed to be, but that you can’t open with one hand? Hopefully the answer is no.
They tend to hold their value and sell well if in the box and new condition.
Just food for thought

Of course posting this next comment is considered sacrilege by some on a CRK based forum but since I’m not brand specific on any level, I will trudge on.
Have you considered just selling your CRK knives while they are still worth somewhere near the original price and prior to altering them, possibly losing all of your investment and voiding any warranty?
It’s a knife. CRK is not for everyone. There are several high quality blades out there in this price range that require no special grip adjustments, no toughening of the thumb or anything special but are just a joy the minute you first try them.
I personally find CRK knives to be without a doubt the hardest to open and get used to “for me” of all the thumb stud opening folders I have ever held and I have handled A LOT of them from customs to bargain basement cheapo’s. That doesn’t mean they’re not high quality pieces, just that they might not be the right design and fit for you regardless of how pretty they are.
This difficulty with opening is widely publicized. Obviously there are plenty of people out there that don’t experience this difficulty (or just refuse to admit that it’s a big deal) and absolutely love CRK’s but many do find the opening difficult and objectionable.
CRK’s are great knives but there is a reason that there are all sizes, shapes and types out there.
Sometimes just accepting that something is beautiful and desirable but just not a fit for you is a good thing.
I like the looks of Ferrari’s and Porsche’s but they aren’t a fit for me.
Let’s face it: if you had been able to pick those knives up and handle them prior to purchase, would you have gone ahead and bought a knife designed to be, but that you can’t open with one hand? Hopefully the answer is no.
They tend to hold their value and sell well if in the box and new condition.
Just food for thought

This. I bought 3 CRKs recently, one of each (Zaan, Sebenza and Inkosi). They are gorgeous knives, blades are beautifully ground, thin and sharp out of the box - and after all, I just had to have them in my collection.

I spent 2-4 weeks with each to learn how to use them - and they broke in, and I'm OK using them now, and they are keepers.

But: they are not as comfortable as many other knives I have, with multiple opening mechanisms, easy to open/close with either hand and different fingers in the dark, etc. And this is not just playing: imaging you hurt your thumb, or cut your fingernail too short ... what will you do with the beautiful CRK you want to use ?

Check out iMamba knives or Hinderer Skinnies, for instance, similar price and built, but easier to use - at least for me.

If you can't open a CRK one handed, something has gone wrong with the knife. The factory will fix it. No need for half baked home remedies.

This assumes, of course, a sound body and normal health. I certainly understand why they might not be the best choice for someone who has suffered a hand injury or perhaps another condition like, say, arthritis.

I hope I can be forgiven a chuckle. It's not like I got multiple crks in one shipment, failed to open them, then joined a group delusion about the pleasure of owing them. I bought one, loved it, cycled the action easily, then bought more.

I've been opening my 31 two-handed recently (when actually preparing to cut something). Problem solved. Hopefully it will keep breaking in.

I doubt this is a muscle issue. For me, it's a new, uncomfortable callus and skin coming off the tip of my thumb. My fault of course. If I simply opened the knife a couple of times a day to cut things, my stuff wouldn't hurt. I'm not doing that though. I'm fidgeting with it.

I asked my Dr how I could toughen up the tip of my thumb. He told me to buy a Sebenza 31. :p

Back