Lock grittyness and lockbar lockup problem with new Recon 1 XL Tanto?

Last week I got a new Recon 1 XL tanto, I had one previously but my nephew guilted me out of it. Today I got it out to take it to work and noticed that the lock is very gritty when being disengaged. I first blew it out with my air compressor then I lightly oiled the lock and pivot. Slightly better but no dice, still gritty.

The other question mark is the lock. When it's opened the lock bar either ends up flush with the scales or for some reason sinks down to be level with the bottom of the serrations/jimping on the scales. I know the lock will dig in deeper over time with wear, but this a brand spanking new knife. My regular Recon 1, Talwar that I gifted to my nephew, large Espada, and my previous Recon 1 XL that my nephew also got off of me don't do this. My regular Recon 1 for example is my EDC and hasn't moved at all. I can actually push the lock bar deeper with my thumb on the new XL when it's opened.

I'm not sure what I should do? All my other Cold Steel folders have shown up in perfect condition and have worked perfectly. I thought about taking it apart, but changed my mind as I'd rather not void the warranty. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm thinking of sending it back to Cold Steel but I don't want to waste the shipping if it's not something they can fix.

As always thanks for all the help!

Did you buy it directly from CS or from a retailer? If the latter, I'd try to get an exchange from them first. If you got it direct (or the retailer for some reason decides to be a jerk), send it to CS. Since it's a current production knife, they may well just send you out a new one.

Back