Lock jamming on the Cold Steel AK47 folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how popular this knife is around here, but if anyone has it I am curious if you ever had problem with the locking mechanism. I got 2 of these and they have the same issue, which I find really odd.

The lock moves fine when the knife is closed, but when the knife is open and the lock bar pops up, it gets jammed. Sometimes so stuck I have to bang the lock down with another object to close the knife.

The Recon Tanto has the same lock and works totally fine, not sure if I should try to take apart the AKs to see is something is obstructing the lock bar. This is unfortunate cause aside from the lock problem I really like the design of the knife.

Anyone have an experience like this?
Thanks!

Try posting this question in the General Discussion forum. You're more likely to find someone who has one of these knives and can give you a pointer or two.
This particular forum is more along the lines of "Grandpa knives," like these:
Moose-Muskrat-Trapper.jpg

or these:
SchradeMuskrats2f.jpg

(that thread is here, in case you wanna take a peek at some really nice Muskrat & Moose patterns.)

Thanks for the heads up! I just read the description of the general board, and realized I was in the wrong spot.

P.S. What a waste of my first post after all this time lurking.

I don't know how popular this knife is around here, but if anyone has it I am curious if you ever had problem with the locking mechanism. I got 2 of these and they have the same issue, which I find really odd.

The lock moves fine when the knife is closed, but when the knife is open and the lock bar pops up, it gets jammed. Sometimes so stuck I have to bang the lock down with another object to close the knife.

The Recon Tanto has the same lock and works totally fine, not sure if I should try to take apart the AKs to see is something is obstructing the lock bar. This is unfortunate cause aside from the lock problem I really like the design of the knife.

Anyone have an experience like this?
Thanks!

Same lock as Recon I. I recently got back a Recon I that had warranty work done to. I was a bit confused. I got back my knife unchanged (as far as I could tell). The problem was a jamming locking pin and it was still jamming when I got it back.

Others had the same problem with this "new" design for the "Ultra Lock". They told me that they filed the lock pin to make it spin and not jam on the liners.

I now had to take it apart myself to fix the problem. When I got it apart I found that the lock pin was ground between the "false" washers (I think that is what they are called). The problem was that the pin still needed a little more removed behind the main "false" washer (not the one that screws off). After I removed that tiny amount (took a few minutes) the lock pin spun around freely in the liners. I reassembled the knife and it locks very well and it can't jam now!

I also took care of the reason the pin spinned when I pulled it out of my pocket. I put a generous convexed bevel where a sharp edge was around the slotted portion of the lock pin where the fingers and thumb make contact with the lock pin (the slots are still excellent for reassembly). Not only does it not catch on my clothes anymore (something I have heard others complain about this knife and happened to me) but it is a lot easier and comfortable to move the pin to release the blade.

I opened the Recon I a few more times since i thought i fixed the lock, but I discovered that they took too much off the lock pin when they ground it down! The blade developed some play because the pin was ground too small. The cost of shipping and the time involved was a total waste and my old pin is now no good.

I had to take it apart again and then file a new lock pin (I got them to send me a new one) with a diamond jewelers file next to the "false" washers. I kept the grooves to 1/16 inch wide and only as deep as needed to spin in the liners. Now the knife locks tight and should last as long as a new one. The pin would be better and last longer if there was no flat spot on it (which is not needed) IMO. When not on the flat spot the lock locks up way before it runs out of slot, but when on the flat spot it is almost to the very end (how long it will last only time will tell).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back