Loctite concern question for Kai.

I have owned quite a few Kershaw and ZT knives over the years. I have been very excited about a few new models being released. Unfortunately, I have recently read hundreds of comments about not being able to move the pocket clips because of stripped screws and broken tools. It appears there is a over abundance of loctite being used while assembled. It has made me very hesitant to purchase any new models. I am wondering if this has been addressed in any way by the Kai Corp. Also, will it be covered under the warranty if I should try, and unsuccessfully remove a screw? This has become a legitimate concern with loyal fans, collectors and users.

Thanks, James.

I have owned quite a few Kershaw and ZT knives over the years. I have been very excited about a few new models being released. Unfortunately, I have recently read hundreds of comments about not being able to move the pocket clips because of stripped screws and broken tools. It appears there is a over abundance of loctite being used while assembled. It has made me very hesitant to purchase any new models. I am wondering if this has been addressed in any way by the Kai Corp. Also, will it be covered under the warranty if I should try, and unsuccessfully remove a screw? This has become a legitimate concern with loyal fans, collectors and users.

Thanks, James.

I'm one of those that has stripped screws on 3 new models. I can tell you I called KAI and they told me to send them in for repair. The tech I spoke to recommended taking a dremmel and cutting a slot in the screw to try and use a flathead scew driver. That didn't work either. I am going to be in Portland this week so I'm taking mine in person. I will let you know how they handle it though I'm sure they will take care of me.

I own a 0700, 0200, 0170, and just got an 0801 (thanks Gino!) I haven't had a problem so far. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it isn't something that happens but I don't think it's something to worry about too much. If your tool is vertical to your screw and you apply pressure you shouldn't have a problem with 99 percent of screws. Jimmer_5 goes over this in a sticky if you haven't already taken a look. Just my 2 cents, have good morning! -Kirby

I had a similar problem with a messed up screw while attempting to change the scale on a 0550. I called warranty, they said send it in, I did.
They changed the screw, tuned up the knife and sent it back to me. No charge for repair or shipping.
A hassle free, Class Operation.
Thank you ZT Kershaw.

I've moved every pocket clip on every Kershaw/ZT I own and I've never stripped a screw.

Thanks for the info. I apologize if this has already been covered. I was about to order a thermite when I decided to watch some reviews. Every review of the recent kershaw knives has mentioned some issue with clip removal. I have never had any problems so far with any of my kershaw knives, but this seems to have just become a recent issue.

I own a 0700, 0200, 0170, and just got an 0801 (thanks Gino!) I haven't had a problem so far. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it isn't something that happens but I don't think it's something to worry about too much. If your tool is vertical to your screw and you apply pressure you shouldn't have a problem with 99 percent of screws. Jimmer_5 goes over this in a sticky if you haven't already taken a look. Just my 2 cents, have good morning! -Kirby

I've moved every pocket clip on every Kershaw/ZT I own and I've never stripped a screw.

He's referring to the new models like the Thermite and Cryo 2. I'll add the 801 in there also since I have a stripped scew on it. I think it's more common on the chinese made knives than the ZT line. I use the Wiha torx driver that Kershaw uses. Rival1314 also had the same issue with his Thermite. Again I don't think I'll have any issues with their warranty department BUT this is a known issue on some of the 2013 models.

I jacked up my my Husky drivers T-6 bit on two different Kershaw Crowns. The pocket clips would not budge.
That is the only model I've had that or any issue with. Not worth sending in for a $15 knife that I don't use.

The T-6 still works but is a pain.

I have completely twisted my Husky bit into a spiral, I now use Wiha drivers. That being said, when I encounter a screw that doesn't want to give I apply a soldering iron to it for a few seconds, loosens the glue right up.

He's referring to the new models like the Thermite and Cryo 2. I'll add the 801 in there also since I have a stripped scew on it. I think it's more common on the chinese made knives than the ZT line. I use the Wiha torx driver that Kershaw uses. Rival1314 also had the same issue with his Thermite. Again I don't think I'll have any issues with their warranty department BUT this is a known issue on some of the 2013 models.

I guess I don't have any of the new Kershaws, but I've never damaged a quality torx driver on anything.

I have completely twisted my Husky bit into a spiral, I now use Wiha drivers. That being said, when I encounter a screw that doesn't want to give I apply a soldering iron to it for a few seconds, loosens the glue right up.

Boom. Quality tools and a little heat.

I guess I don't have any of the new Kershaws, but I've never damaged a quality torx driver on anything.

I have broken quite a few quality tools in my lifetime. I was indeed referring to the newer models that have been reported to have the issue. I had no intention of starting anything. I was just asking if it had been addressed. I love kershaw/zt knives, but I will not spend 45 or more dollars on something I can not use the way it is meant to be used.

I hadn't heard about the screw problems. On my Kershaw Turbulence I was going to switch the clip. I noticed within a couple seconds that there was going to be a problem either with the screw or tool if I proceeded. My solution, and I am glad I did it, was to put another separate clip on the other side. It really helps in the grip department IMO and it also looks pretty cool along with being able to put it in any pocket at any time without worry. I liked it so much that I did it also with the CS Recon1 and the CS Pocket Bushman too.

I haven't read the contents of this thread because I'm doing something else but I wanted to poke in a just say I recently bought a standard Skyline as a gift for my uncle and I put some of my custom scales on it but to get the standard scales off I had to go to extraordinary lengths. There was so much loctite on the rear most screw, it had seeped out out of the little "nut" that fits down in the whole and made like a permanent weld and the nut just spun in the hole so the screw would never come out. I wasn't worried about the scale so I just cut it a bit and broke it off the screw with some pliers and used some spare screws to put it back together. Wasn't a big deal for me because of the circumstances, but I could see someone else running into a wall with that.

I forgot to add and I don't know if anyone else had mentioned it yet but the screws they sent me for the other clip were Phillips head screws that sit up a tad higher than the regular torx screws.

I forgot to add and I don't know if anyone else had mentioned it yet but the screws they sent me for the other clip were Phillips head screws that sit up a tad higher than the regular torx screws.

That's interesting, the only thing I have seen phillips screw on besides screw in thumb studs was the knockout, blackout, blizzard knives and thats on the clips.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about the screw problems. On my Kershaw Turbulence I was going to switch the clip. I noticed within a couple seconds that there was going to be a problem either with the screw or tool if I proceeded. My solution, and I am glad I did it, was to put another separate clip on the other side. It really helps in the grip department IMO and it also looks pretty cool along with being able to put it in any pocket at any time without worry. I liked it so much that I did it also with the CS Recon1 and the CS Pocket Bushman too.

I'm into this, as well. Apparently not done very often. I got some comments that the clips I used were ugly so I shortened them a bit. They could still stand to be stonewashed or something, but I prefer these to the deep carry clips.

Good to know the heat trick to remove loctited screws. I wonder if there is a liquid solvent that works?

IMG00069-20130820-1632.jpgIMG00068-20130820-1631.jpg

I have used a lot of heat and still unable to remove a few of the pivot screws on some Kershaws. Don't know what to do, perhaps try boiling water.

I have broken quite a few quality tools in my lifetime. I was indeed referring to the newer models that have been reported to have the issue. I had no intention of starting anything. I was just asking if it had been addressed. I love kershaw/zt knives, but I will not spend 45 or more dollars on something I can not use the way it is meant to be used.

Wait, so you're saying you spend $45 on a knife solely to move the pocket clip around?
(just screwing with you......pun intended)

Back