Lone Wolf Paul Prankster

My first real high-end folder arrived the other day, and I love it. It's the Paul Poehlmann-designed Prankster,a nice tactical-style knife with a bit more flair, with G-10 handles (it's also offered in cocobolo wood). The knife costs about $130 to $160 in stores, and the model number is LM22820. It weighs 3.3 ounces. Here are the details...

Handle Details: The Prankster is 4-1/8" closed and 1/2" thick (not counting the pocket clip). The frame is polished stainless steel, and has an open back. The sclaes are black G-10, one on each side, and they're held on with two Torx (T-6) screws. The texturing is very nice; not too smooth and not too rough. The blade stop pin is also held on with two T-6 screws; one on each side. The pocket clip is polished stainless steel, and is tip-down right-hand only. You can take it off easily, as it's held in place with two T-6 screws. When clipped inside a pocket, only 3/4" of the knife is exposed. The two spacers are the hourglass-shaped type and are very nice. There's a finger groove for your index finger, and it's all that's really needed.

The lock is also built into the handle. It's called an axial lock, and here's how it works...
The blade locks open and closed, and is attached to the lock. There's a "Paul" logo on the left side of the handle, while the right side has a spring-loaded button. Hold the knife by the button, handle pointing up, and squeeze the button. Let the handle drop down and it will lock the knife open. Reverse this to close the knife and lock it closed. This is a very safe and reliable lock, and it gives no blade play.

Blade Details: The Prankster has a 3-1/4" hollow-ground blade of 154CM. Rockwell rating is 59-61, and the blade is 1/8" thick. There are no thumb studs or holes; it's all dependant on the axial lock. There are thumb ridges on the spine for sure finger placement while working. The blade is a clip point and has a very sharp point. It came out of the box shaving sharp, and has a polished finish. The right side of the blade is viod of markings; the left side has "U.S.A." on the tang and "Paul Prankster" above "154CM" next to the Lone Wolf logo. The back of the blade has an unsharpened swedge.

I can't say enough about this knife, so here's a link to Lone Wolf's site to tell you more...
http://www.lonewolfknives.com/store/pages/products-poehlmann-lm22820.shtml

Is it worth the money? To me, yes. Try one out for yourself and let me know what you think.

EDIT: See my update on this thread (post #4)

Last edited:
I'm fond of the style, but I have seen a couple of examples where the lockup was less than secure. A couple of medium-weight slaps on the back of the blade and it would fly shut. Not a problem with the design, but rather one of QC. If buying one, I'd recommend just checking to make sure that yours has a secure lockup.

Always wanted to try one of those locks - Thanks for the review!

The blade now has play when open, so I returned it. A $130 knife shouldn't develop blade play after two days of pocket carry and very little cutting.

That is what happened to my Lone Wolf Prankster. I like the knife but it developed play side to side and up and down.

RKH

The Paul Axial Lock system has several advantages over liner and frame locks.
It is a really neat system.
You can open and close it easily and quickly with one hand.
It is unobtrusive and ergonomic.
It has a major ‘cool factor’.

There must be a reason why the Paul Axial Lock system never dominated like the {Benchmade} Axis system.
The Axial lock uses very precise machining within the pivot. Look at an exploded view of it sometime. It is a marvel of engineering. Unfortunately, it seems like the knife makers who use this system skimp on the materials in the lock. The tolerances are achievable at that price point. The quality of materials used, at that price point, are not.

From what I've read on these forums, you either get a 'good' one, with no problems, or you get one that developes blade play shortly thereafter. Maybe QC is the problem. I wish I would have gotten one of the 'good' ones.

I do know this, I've never had a 'bad' Axis lock knife.

I loved my Paul Presto folder for about a week. Then, it developed blade play.
With no way to adjust it, {like I could with an Axis system}, I returned the knife.

Too bad, I really liked it until it started falling apart.

Last edited:
Necrophilia post revival... Cleaning up my drawers, I just found I have a NIB Prankster Cocobolo.

Back