Lone Wolf Tighe Pan

Just picked up this Lone Wolf Tighe folder and just wanted to share some thoughts on it. I've wanted one of these babies since I saw it highlighted in one of the knife magazines last year. The hefty price tag at introduction certainly put me off though. Recently the price on these have plunged as they apparently no longer in production. On ebay they go for around $120.00.

I was honestly a bit underwhelmed when I took it out of the box. The pros, nice workmanship, thin graceful lines, premium blade steel and razor sharp out of the box. I did have to loosen up the blade pivot a bit to help smoothen up the action.
I don't like the liner on the knife. There is no cutout to gain access to the liner when closing the knife. Instead the liner has some fairly aggressive grooves on the liner edge for purchase when closing the knife. They are irritating on my thumb and I do have to struggle a bit when closing the knife. The closing action is stiff and not as smooth as the liners on some of my Spydies. All in all it's a quality knife but for some reason the knife feels a bit generic. I don't know if this is a reflection of Tighe's design but the knife doesn't seem to have the character of some of the other folders that I own. I believe I read the same opinion on a review of the Tighe here in bf.

Is it a good buy? I think it's a nice edc for light/medium usage. I think I would have been peeved if I had paid the $280.00 for it when it first came out. At it's current price, it's a nice knife and will see time in my rotation.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8585146

If I remember correctly, there was a thread about 1 month ago when buyers said that it was a good as a Tighe custom. Not having seen a Tighe custom, I am not able to comment but that was one of the reasons that I decided to buy one last month. Apart from the liner, I quite like the knife. Good materials, good finishing. No complaints about the smoothness on mine. At the current price, it is worth it.

The liner lock is troublesome though. The liner is flush with the handle scales. Very often, I have to catch the liner with my thumb nail to close it and the aggresive grooves on the liner are wearing away my thumb nail.

Back