Off Topic Lonesome Dove

Do you guys think that Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove actually stabbed the horse in the scene where he's fighting off the Indians? I might be a fool but it's just a question that all of you knife guys that are my favorite kind of guys would know.

No.

PETA would have been in full uproar over an animal getting hurt in a movie. The special effects guys can work wonders.

I might be a fool but it's just a question that all of you knife guys that are my favorite kind of guys would know.
Tell us more! How are we your favorite kind of (Knife) guys? Glad to be of help :)

Also, horses don’t get stabbed on TV.

No.

PETA would have been in full uproar over an animal getting hurt in a movie. The special effects guys can work wonders.
I’m sure you’re right. I haven’t seen it for years, and this thread reminds me I should watch it again. This may be heretical, but I think it may be the best Western ever made.

I think it may be the best Western ever made.

My wife and I have watched the series several times...and loved it every time... particularly the part with Blue Duck.
Also saw a tv series spinoff which showed Newt Dobbs' early life and progressing into a young hellion and then finally growing up.
Supposedly, Newt is Captain Call's father, but his mother was ALSO friends with Jake Spoon...
...time for a DNA test...

Supposedly, Newt is Captain Call's father, but his mother was ALSO friends with Jake Spoon...
...time for a DNA test...
You got that reversed-Captain Call is Newt's father-but you knew that
I don't know if it is the best western ever made, but it certainly is in the running

And the book is 100 times better than the movie.
For the record i loved them both!

Don’t forget the Water Buffalo that starred in Apocalypse Now.. That was most definitely not CGI.

You got that reversed-Captain Call is Newt's father-but you knew that
I don't know if it is the best western ever made, but it certainly is in the running
I know my opinion’s an outlier. It’s probably not fair to compare a 6+ hour made-for-TV miniseries to conventional Western films, but, man. Is there any Western with such a range of great characterizations? Not just from Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones and their interplay, but also Chris Cooper, Robert Zurich, Angelica Houston, Diane Lane, and even Rocky Schroeder. Not to mention incredible cinematography, great action sequences, perfect pacing, and moments of deep tragedy.

I think I can live with calling it the best, but I get that some of my favorites may not be the most conventional choices, like Destry Rides Again, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Ricky Schroeder

Braveheart
The ground had been dug up and filled with sand for the horse falls. By using a long lens, it pulled the groups of people and animals together for the scenes. Then by adding some cutting and splicing of the film in post production, the scenes appeared very violent with horses in the middle of all the fighting. In one scene there were several horses lined up and then charged into a group of warriors. Three of the horses fell head first into the fighters. These were fake horses on tracks. When they got to the end of the tracks they merely somersaulted throwing their stuntriders forward.
http://humanehollywood.org/index.php/movie-archive/item/braveheart

Had the pleasure to meet Robert Duvall maybe 25 years back at the Airport in Great Falls, MT. He was returning from a shoot here in MT. No idea what movie or what it was. I didn't want to pry. We chatted a bit about Montana, shook hands and parted ways. I agree.... "Lonesome Dove" was a masterpiece.

What with all the horse abuse, non abuse, my favorite horse scene from a movie was when Lee Marvin slugged his horse and knocked it out cold. Not Lonesome Dove but a

Back