Long Butaniku modded

REK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Don't kill me guys :)

Got to work on a Butaniku a couple weeks ago - probably shouldn't have taken the project on due to the rarity of the sword but it turned out well I think =) My customer wanted the paint stripped, a zero convex (w/ a tanto tip mod), and new scales.

It was very blade heavy and difficult to swing. The only grind I was willing to do on this one was a convex grind (it's the most forgiving). I was going to go for a full height convex if I needed to, but my customer wanted a yokote (the tanto transition) so I was fortunately able to do that (slightly shortened blade to accomplish this, shortened to 31 1/16 from tip of scales).

It was a beast to hold while grinding to be sure. Since I grind under coolant was able to catch/save the dust for this shot - it shed a total of 10.2 oz weighing in at 2 lbs 13.8 oz total!

i-2gGWszF-X2.jpg

The scales were crazy... had to remake one around 3 times, ugh! But this was my first project on my new milling machine, so I was figuring that thing out. The reason for the scales in the first place is that, with the stock scales the tang is exposed at the bottom which is not comfortable in an iaido grip.

The first rendition was quite blocky, so we went with some nice rounding which made it MUCH more comfortable.

i-6McthDK-X2.jpg

i-LtMk9Mw-X2.jpg

And here's some final shots! We went w/ torx bolts, countersunk into the scales.

i-CpWN4Pv-X2.jpg

i-SHfcDhz-X2.jpg
i-X5dPCdm-X2.jpg
i-VnQxXqr-X2.jpg
i-FLvNgdj-X2.jpg

I have a Butaniku that isn't shiny enough and about 10 oz. too heavy (but doesn't need new scales). I wonder what such a mod would cost....

Interesting post and great work Josh.

The scale of that thing sure must have been a challenge. Well done.

Lawrie

Wow. Turned out great. Scales look great with the deep cross pattern and the shapping.

Great work! 10.2 oz of INFI dust... that's nearly a TGLB without the handles! :eek:

Wow, awesome. Perhaps that infi dust can be smelted into another knife? Would be a shame to see it tossed in the trash bin.

I'm not a sword guy but it looks great ... seeing that and knowing the work you've done for me ... you have a gift man ... very nice!

Back