Long handled swords

What are the pros and cons for these designs? I'm thinking they're relatively easy to craft, use less steel, probably handle better. But as a weapon, weight distribution must suffer, a shorter "sweet spot," no "forte". Lastly they just look funny.

Philippines "panabas" (hedge) trimmer
Panabas-intro.jpg

Burmese "Da"
ph-0.jpg

Vietnamese "Da-dao"
s214.jpg

Persian
68949b77597ffbb8d85bf912680f0873---in-geek-gear.jpg

Now: do you think this concept can be adopted to say a rapier? How about a two-handed great sword whose steel blade terminates at the terso and has as a forte stout wood instead?

Last edited:
I think that would be called a spear, more than anything. I doubt that a rapier blade would survive the amount of two-handed torque along a lever arm that long. It takes a lot less steel to make a blade on a stick, but it has to be made to take a serious hit. The dadao (usually chinese), kwan dao and pudao (horse cutter) are good examples of this; stout handles with thick-spined single edge blades on the end. On the other end of the scale, I have an early 20th century dha that is incredibly light and fast, but in order to cut anything of substance you have to hold it closer to the end for a longer lever arm. But that much force is also hard for that little blade to take, and it rolls so easily that I don't even try to do anything with it any more. It must be hard to get a workable "balance" between strength, weight and reach, but there are numerous examples across cultures that show how to get it right.

I couldn't get a better picture but in "life force" peter firth held what looks like a miniature two-handed sword whose tang is not likely to go all the way through to the pommel. it looks so weird that it could only be an authentic production (???)

Lifeforce%2B%252848%2529.BMP

But otherwise, all zweihanders seem to have blades that continue through to the handle end.

What are the pros and cons for these designs? I'm thinking they're relatively easy to craft, use less steel, probably handle better. But as a weapon, weight distribution must suffer, a shorter "sweet spot," no "forte".

Some of them are primarily agricultural/utility blades (like lots of panabas, cane knives), often made to be used one-handed. More reach with less steel.

Ones made primarily as weapons are often intended for two-handed use. With these, you gain lots of leverage, which might matter a lot (e.g., parrying a bayonet thrust with a dadao). If the weapon is large enough, you also gain reach compared to the one-handed sword you might otherwise use.

For a one-handed long-handled sword, in some cases it might be better to think of it as a long-bladed axe rather than a long-handled sword. A battle axe - long handle, short blade - works as a weapon (less steel, lightweight, same disadvantages you listed), and a long-handled one-handed sword will be somewhat of a hybrid between a normal one-handed sword and a battle axe.

I don't know if the video is still available but - sword maker Jesus Hernandez made a fantastic sword , all in the traditional way of Japan !
It has a long handle and long blade .It's design is for foot soldiers who are attacked by cavalry. The long handle and blade permit the foot soldier to reach the soldier up on a horse. A wonderful job !
The original name was Nami Ni Chidori Nagamaki

Last edited:
The last panabas I handled was witchy light and very well distal tapered-it was definitely a weapon but it's not a sword.

Back