Long range khukuri concepts to explore

Howard Wallace

I just finished up attendance at a fencing seminar on the big three knives, the Bowie, Arkansas Toothpick, and Khukuri. This was offered by James Keating in the small eastern Oregon town of Milton Freewater. I've known Mr. Keating for years. As is usual in his seminars, there were numerous martial arts instructors from various schools in attendance. Having to travel hundreds of miles from nowhere to get to the instruction tends to skew the attendee demographics. As usual, everyone was courteous and patient with the dunderheaded (yours truly), and shared their knowledge from many different perspectives and arts. Keating made his name by applying marital arts concepts from around the world to various small arms. He finally got around to the khukuri. There was much of value in the seminar and if Keating offers khukuri instruction in the future those interested in khukuri techniques will certainly get some things to think about.

Various infighting techniques were presented, largely drawn from the Filipino arts. I'll not go into detail on any of those here, other than to say that many of the infighting concepts from those arts generalize to the khukuri. They are however, a bit complex and take some study to understand and integrate into one's movement. For those interested in close range techniques a study of the Filipino arts may be of value.

The khukuri really excels at longer ranges. I will share just a couple of presented concepts applicable to longer range that I found very valuable. You have read here on the forum time after time that the khukuri are all different and that you need to learn from your knife. That is very true, so think of these as concepts to explore with your knife. I am only offering the questions. I have no answers, so do not bother to ask.

1 - consider the use of the spine and the flat of the blade. For many khukuri this may be the equivalent of a steel pipe. This offers the potential of not only less lethal striking, but also of a powerful block or beat clearing the way for a chop or cut. A rapier fencer may not beat too effectively off a bo staff, but a khukuri might.

2 - think of how to vary the timing. Swinging a big heavy object tends to create a predictable path. What happens to predictability if progress along that path were delayed for a few fractions of a second?

A beautiful unifying concept that is applicable to both of the above explorations is the florette. The florette is a circular redirection of the blade. For exploration 1, a fraction of a circle will enable the block or beat to be transformed into a chop or cut without bringing a halt to the momentum of the blade and then starting it back up in another direction. In exploration 2 the addition of full or partial circles can change up the timing of the strike.

Here is an old Keating YouTube video on a florette exercise. While I have little use for a flashy "web of steel" all the elements for efficient redirection of the blade and variations of timing are present inside the movements of this exercise.

A search of YouTube turned up these other two excellent videos, from gentlemen I otherwise do not know. I admire their skill though and these are the very concepts that will aid in explorations 1 and 2.

The Cold Steel trainer has the right shape and size, but weight is always an issue when trying to replicate a khukuri for training purposes. This one is about 1/2 oz per inch (based on overall length), which is very lightweight compared to a real khukuri. Some moves that might be practical at that weight might not be practical with a real khukuri of similar size. Speed would certainly be different.

Not to be totally negative, I suspect that the Cold Steel trainer could be made more realistic by adding weight along the blade. If the blade material is strong enough, one could drill some holes near the spine and insert bolts to built up the weight. It would be less safe when training with a partner, since the bolts would be a hazard, but should be just fine for solo practice.

Yes, the light weight of this trainer model makes it pretty different from a real Khukuri. I was thinking about that "Nickelite" alloy that Bookie and Bawanna have used to pour in inlays, and whether it might be possible to remove part of the center section of the trainer blade and replace it with some of that heavy metal to get the weight closer to the real item. Or maybe just use some epoxy to glue a bunch of small lead shot to the sides of the blade, or drill a bunch of holes and fill with lead shot & epoxy?

I just finished up attendance at a fencing seminar on the big three knives, the Bowie, Arkansas Toothpick, and Khukuri. This was offered by James Keating in the small eastern Oregon town of Milton Freewater. I've known Mr. Keating for years. As is usual in his seminars, there were numerous martial arts instructors from various schools in attendance. Having to travel hundreds of miles from nowhere to get to the instruction tends to skew the attendee demographics. As usual, everyone was courteous and patient with the dunderheaded (yours truly), and shared their knowledge from many different perspectives and arts. Keating made his name by applying marital arts concepts from around the world to various small arms. He finally got around to the khukuri. There was much of value in the seminar and if Keating offers khukuri instruction in the future those interested in khukuri techniques will certainly get some things to think about.

Various infighting techniques were presented, largely drawn from the Filipino arts. I'll not go into detail on any of those here, other than to say that many of the infighting concepts from those arts generalize to the khukuri. They are however, a bit complex and take some study to understand and integrate into one's movement. For those interested in close range techniques a study of the Filipino arts may be of value.

The khukuri really excels at longer ranges. I will share just a couple of presented concepts applicable to longer range that I found very valuable. You have read here on the forum time after time that the khukuri are all different and that you need to learn from your knife. That is very true, so think of these as concepts to explore with your knife. I am only offering the questions. I have no answers, so do not bother to ask.

1 - consider the use of the spine and the flat of the blade. For many khukuri this may be the equivalent of a steel pipe. This offers the potential of not only less lethal striking, but also of a powerful block or beat clearing the way for a chop or cut. A rapier fencer may not beat too effectively off a bo staff, but a khukuri might.

2 - think of how to vary the timing. Swinging a big heavy object tends to create a predictable path. What happens to predictability if progress along that path were delayed for a few fractions of a second?

A beautiful unifying concept that is applicable to both of the above explorations is the florette. The florette is a circular redirection of the blade. For exploration 1, a fraction of a circle will enable the block or beat to be transformed into a chop or cut without bringing a halt to the momentum of the blade and then starting it back up in another direction. In exploration 2 the addition of full or partial circles can change up the timing of the strike.

Here is an old Keating YouTube video on a florette exercise. While I have little use for a flashy "web of steel" all the elements for efficient redirection of the blade and variations of timing are present inside the movements of this exercise.

A search of YouTube turned up these other two excellent videos, from gentlemen I otherwise do not know. I admire their skill though and these are the very concepts that will aid in explorations 1 and 2.

Sounds like you got some great training! Thanks so much for sharing.
Also exciting to see a Dog Brothers video, I recently heard about them and it looks like good stuff.
I am thinking I'm a little overdue for some kali/escrima training or something of the sort..but honestly my open-hand is also terribly neglected as of late :(

I do hope James continues to offer the Big 3 course. I saw it on his schedule months back and lamented that there was no way for me to attend. I'm also glad to see someone more skilled than myself advocating the florette with the kukri. I arrived at that conclusion early on in my self-training, and at times have wondered if I'd taken a wrong turn somewhere. I will also have to give more thought to using the flat and the spine for blocking, especially given the idea of using the florette after those blocks or beats. It always seemed to me before that any movement with the kukri that didn't lead with the edge was a bit sluggish, but using the florette sounds like a perfect remedy.

Thanks for the ideas, Howard.

The Cold Steel trainer has the right shape and size, but weight is always an issue when trying to replicate a khukuri for training purposes. This one is about 1/2 oz per inch (based on overall length), which is very lightweight compared to a real khukuri. Some moves that might be practical at that weight might not be practical with a real khukuri of similar size. Speed would certainly be different.

Not to be totally negative, I suspect that the Cold Steel trainer could be made more realistic by adding weight along the blade. If the blade material is strong enough, one could drill some holes near the spine and insert bolts to built up the weight. It would be less safe when training with a partner, since the bolts would be a hazard, but should be just fine for solo practice.
IMO the plastic trainers are for partner work (especially noncompliant partner work/sparring) and the actual blade (with tape on the edge if it feels necessary) is for solo training

One of the unifiers of the FMA and silat I've done is that a cut is very rarely stopped dead and reversed-it just morphs into a cut or thrust from a different vector. With a heavy khuk it goes a long way towards protecting joint/tendon health as well, in the same way that stopping a cut with body mechanics (as opposed to arm/wrist muscle) does

Back