Looking back.

My wife and I just celebrated our one year anniversary and man, life changes fast. She is still the best decision I’ve ever made. That year flew by with all of the everyday life and big events we’ve shared together thus far. Our biggest addition was our little one. Being a husband and a father happened quickly for me and when I least expected it, but I’ve come to realize that most times the path I follow is heavily directed by an unseen and almighty force.

Some of you will remember that my beautiful wife allowed a visit to one of my favorite places on Earth, the Great Eastern Cutlery factory. On our trip there we were given a beautiful #66 stockman as a wedding gift and shorty after that I started carrying it daily.
59D2065E-E1C7-4633-8D1B-034DB41B37E3.jpeg
My wife took the first pick of this one.

Yesterday I celebrated my one year of daily carry. I’ve done it a few times before with other knives, but after a few months of the knife didn’t connect with me it became quite the chore to make it 365 days straight. This time was a lot different; soon after I started carrying it we found out we had a little one on the way and it was decided that knife would be our babies first knife.

Over the course of a year the chores ranged from cleaning small game, to assisting with splinter removal, box opening and a myriad of other knife related needs.
6298E757-F04A-40FE-85E2-1D71F1B7347B.jpeg

This knife quickly refreshed the love I have for the stockman and it’s size reminded me just how much can be done with a sub 4” knife. More importantly it’s become a part of me and a part of my young family’s history.
9CFCD56D-CCD1-4B4F-8F2E-6397191D6D7F.jpeg

The day our son was born this knife kept me company in the form of a worry stone, as my wife fought the pains in the form of contractions I helplessly held her hand and this knife in the pocket of my blue jeans.
670B3AD2-6083-4A9B-911B-819D04850C54.jpeg

One of the decisions I’ll have to face is when to put the knife away, saving steel for my son to wear down when the time comes. I look forward to teaching him how to skin his first squirrel, clean his first rainbow trout creek side, whittle a marshmallow stick... the basics every boy needs to know.

It’s going to be hard to put this one away.... maybe another year with me will be fine.
061D71E5-DD43-4007-B7B8-7E382B0FD4F6.jpeg
5AF8AA07-2463-40BB-A0AD-1C920BFEE0FE.jpeg

Great knife with fantastic stag. That stag is aging so nicely.
The only thing better than the knife is the story that goes with it. Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic story and knife. Congrats on an amazing life!

My wife and I just celebrated our one year anniversary and man, life changes fast. She is still the best decision I’ve ever made. That year flew by with all of the everyday life and big events we’ve shared together thus far. Our biggest addition was our little one. Being a husband and a father happened quickly for me and when I least expected it, but I’ve come to realize that most times the path I follow is heavily directed by an unseen and almighty force.

Some of you will remember that my beautiful wife allowed a visit to one of my favorite places on Earth, the Great Eastern Cutlery factory. On our trip there we were given a beautiful #66 stockman as a wedding gift and shorty after that I started carrying it daily.
View attachment 990905
My wife took the first pick of this one.

Yesterday I celebrated my one year of daily carry. I’ve done it a few times before with other knives, but after a few months of the knife didn’t connect with me it became quite the chore to make it 365 days straight. This time was a lot different; soon after I started carrying it we found out we had a little one on the way and it was decided that knife would be our babies first knife.

Over the course of a year the chores ranged from cleaning small game, to assisting with splinter removal, box opening and a myriad of other knife related needs.
View attachment 990910

This knife quickly refreshed the love I have for the stockman and it’s size reminded me just how much can be done with a sub 4” knife. More importantly it’s become a part of me and a part of my young family’s history.
View attachment 990909

The day our son was born this knife kept me company in the form of a worry stone, as my wife fought the pains in the form of contractions I helplessly held her hand and this knife in the pocket of my blue jeans.
View attachment 990911

One of the decisions I’ll have to face is when to put the knife away, saving steel for my son to wear down when the time comes. I look forward to teaching him how to skin his first squirrel, clean his first rainbow trout creek side, whittle a marshmallow stick... the basics every boy needs to know.

It’s going to be hard to put this one away.... maybe another year with me will be fine.
View attachment 990907
View attachment 990904
A fellow squirrel hunter! I've been hitched for 33 years. Beautiful GEC knife you've got there. Easy to get attached to one like that.

Happy first anniversary. Here's to many more!
May I suggest that, to make the knife mean more to your son, you let him see you use it. Take him squirrel hunting and camping, and then that knife will become something of an heirloom to him. Then, when you give it to him, it's not just a gift, but an inheritance.

-Ken

A fellow squirrel hunter! I've been hitched for 33 years. Beautiful GEC knife you've got there. Easy to get attached to one like that.

Squirrel hunt has always been my passion, nothing beats sitting under an old oak and picking them off a limb with my 22. My knives see a ton of use during hunting season as I’m usually left to clean all the game that is put on the ground, I’m not complaining of course.
7B099540-852D-4C31-9793-07C62142B6CE.jpeg
1460260D-F2A2-484F-94D2-F6B02802743D.jpeg

Happy first anniversary. Here's to many more!
May I suggest that, to make the knife mean more to your son, you let him see you use it. Take him squirrel hunting and camping, and then that knife will become something of an heirloom to him. Then, when you give it to him, it's not just a gift, but an inheritance.

-Ken

Ken, you bring up an excellent point. I didn’t want this to be a lifeless knife when I give it to him to begin with, so that’s in part why I started using it, but he will never remember the things I use this knife for until he gets some age to him.

Part of my fear is using it too much, I have a tendency to eat blades away with all the processing that gets done come hunting season. I think if I set it aside and picked it up when he is older he would have some memories of it.

johnny twoshoes johnny twoshoes What a great story. :thumbsup: Congratulations on your first year and that's one fine looking boy there.
I have a 66 Calf Roper I love and can see how a man could leave one in his pocket for a year. :D:cool:

Back