Looking CPM M4 thin stock.

I'm looking for some M4 thin stock for kitchen use. I would also like to run a few coupons for the Charpy testing. Aldo and AKS are out of the thin stock and just seem to be running out of everything. Does anyone else carry it and sell at reasonable rates for small orders?

We received some Zapp Z-M4 PM this week. Some of the steel from the order will be on the website tomorrow.

Chuck
Sweet.
We received some Zapp Z-M4 PM this week. Some of the steel from the order will be on the website tomorrow.

Chuck
Awesome. I was going to order everything you had left but I waited to long.

Just out of curiosity, is there much of a difference between the defendant PM's? I have heard debates about the carpenter stuff and the others usually the m390 vs 204p vs 20cv.

If and when you get M4, if I may offer some advice.... make sure you have done your grinding and polish before heat treating. The abrasive resistance of M4 is wicked evil. I have sent a few “petty” knives to Peters with sub 0.010” edges and 800 grit blade finish. They came back straight without having to be straightened and no edge warping. But it was no picnic to to even re-establish that 800 grit finish. 64hrc. I highly recommend using M4 at that hardness (or harder) in the kitchen. Amazing edge retention. Superb steel. My favorite higher alloy steel.

If and when you get M4, if I may offer some advice.... make sure you have done your grinding and polish before heat treating. The abrasive resistance of M4 is wicked evil. I have sent a few “petty” knives to Peters with sub 0.010” edges and 800 grit blade finish. They came back straight without having to be straightened and no edge warping. But it was no picnic to to even re-establish that 800 grit finish. 64hrc. I highly recommend using M4 at that hardness (or harder) in the kitchen. Amazing edge retention. Superb steel. My favorite higher alloy steel.
I just made a test chef in M2 and struggled to get a high quality belt finish even at 120 grit. I have be trying to use M2 as a starting point for M4 partly because its cheaper but also because its much easier to come by. I am loving how that chef is performing in the kitchen. The level of rust resistance is impressive. I'm starting to see some mild patina starting but its still only visible when the light is right. That's after cutting a lot of onions, citrus and pineapple and papaya and letting it dry on the blade intentionally. I haven't had my blade Rc tested but my heat treatment and cryo was similar to Warren's 64 Rc for the toughness test. I started this thread because I'm really wanting to start my M4 testing at 66Rc and inteded intended for kitchen use.

We have some CPM M-4 in stock so we'd be happy to give you a quote. You can go to our website www.nsm-ny.com for our contact information. It's not a common grade for our distributors but I'll let NJ Steel Baron know you're looking for some.

We have some CPM M-4 in stock so we'd be happy to give you a quote. You can go to our website www.nsm-ny.com for our contact information. It's not a common grade for our distributors but I'll let NJ Steel Baron know you're looking for some.
Thanks. I'm still messing around with the heat treatment. I figured I could order straight from you but will need to be sure I can move the knives if I am going to buy a full sheat.

Thanks. I'm still messing around with the heat treatment. I figured I could order straight from you but will need to be sure I can move the knives if I am going to buy a full sheat.
A full sheet will be cheaper by the pound, but we sell strips too. You can reach me at bob@nsm-ny.com if you have any specific requests.

Back