looking for a cleaver style chef knife under $50

I am looking for a new general purpose kitchen knife. I have discovered a while back that I prefer more of the cleaver profile as it gives consistent weight at any part of the blade, that weight makes cutting easier, and the higher profile from the edge to the axis of the handle is more comfortable.

So, some examples of what I am looking for would be a "Chinese chef knife," A Japanese "nakiri," Or even a traditional meat cleaver, or perhaps even a Santoku style, though I've never tried one of those yet.

I am setting my budget to $50 for the time being. I know I can get a Victorinox cleaver for that price, an Old Hickory cleaver for half that and so I am certain there's some good stuff in that price range.

Suggestions?

Looks like my original pictures are crashed but here's one. Second knife down:

JaU6emn.jpg

Big Asian market = lots of cleavers to be had.

I have had a chinese cleaver made by Shi ba Zi for years and I don't misuse it. One of my favorite vegetable cutters.

i feel like the nakiri being so short from the spine to edge would have a lot of the same ergonomic issues i have with my current traditional chef style knives

I think what I have decided to go with is the Dexter Russel traditional chinese chef knife with the high carbon steel blade. Originally I was reluctant to pick that one based on only 3 stars, but i read the reviews and frankly, the poor reviews are from idiots. Idiots whining that the high carbon steel blade has gotten "black spots" (patina), people who don't know how to use push cuts as you're supposed to, and even one guy whining that he couldn't get all his fingers on the grip (which you're only actually supposed to put three fingers on). But it doesn't seem like any of the negative reviews have anything to do with product defects or poor quality.

Look for a "CCK" cleaver at your local Asian grocery stores. They are highly regarded by a lot of users and can be had for decent prices if you aren't shopping at the online places.

The Nakiri is pretty nice for making soup for "one" but, its smaller size for me makes sweeping ingredients into the soup pot more troublesome. A Chinese Cleaver is basically an oversized Nakiri and I really like it when I have a large head of Cabbage or a lot of vegetables to slice and dice. It also gets the call to duty for Watermelon during the summer.

Yes, I can slice cabbage with a Nakiri but, it is really too small for something that large. The Chinese Cleaver will slice herbs but, a Nakiri is much easier to use for this, at least for me.

I would also consider just buying a meat cleaver and using it as my main chef knife. I use one now but it's admittedly very poor quality and the handle is starting to have issues. But, put a nice edge on it and theres nothing I can't cut or chop. I found it to be even easier at chopping vegetables (using push cuts) than my typical western style chef knife. So I am wondering what benefits if any there are to the Chinese chef knife vs just using a cleaver. It's lighter weight, but where I am on the fence with that is determining whether or not that's an improvement, or just a difference.

A sharp/keen meat cleaver will cut vegetables but, it wedges them more than it slices them. You really want a thin cleaver, not a meat cleaver, for boneless meats and vegetables as they simply slice better and don't 'mash' soft things like tomatoes or bananas.

That is true. Perhaps I should also look at products marketed as "vegetable cleavers" as they have roughly the same blade profile as chinese chef knifes anyway, and do the same thing.

Santoku 8" has been my all purpose for years, the long flat blade is great.

Anywhere I can find more information on them? It says carbon steel but that's a pretty broad description. For the price they may be worth a shot.

Anywhere I can find more information on them? It says carbon steel but that's a pretty broad description. For the price they may be worth a shot.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/chinese-cleaver.179229/

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/very-inexpensive-chinese-cleaver-i-can-order.20639/

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/first-cleaver-cck-or-no-name.27033/

https://cheftalk.com/threads/cck-cleaver-kf-1303-versus-wok-shops-vegetable-cleaver.75266/

A few years ago I was also considering the CCK cleavers, but the internet prices were always much more than $50, so I went with thee Wok Shop ones.

I have a Wok Shop Vegetable Cleaver, and mine looks more like a stainless steel than a carbon steel one.
The edge started to discolor after a while, but it does not discolor or rust like a carbon steel blade would.
In my experience the edge holding is better than that of the Old Hickory knives (I don't have the OH cleaver just their butcher knives).
Sharpness is OK for me.
You can put some super glue where the tang enters the ferrule to fill the gaps and prevent food and moisture accumulate there.
I treated the wood handle several times with mineral oil to make it a little bit more water resistant.
Overall I like it, I think for the price it is one of the better deals in Chinese cleavers.
It is not a high end knife, but earns its keep well.

ive been absent from this thread a bit, dealing with holiday stuff.. when i wake up tomorrow i'll see if amazon has anything on sale.. i am also expanding my consideration to more traditional european shape chef knifes assuming they have at LEAST 2 inches from the spine to the edge for finger clearance

I went to the local Asian supermarket and got a no-name Chinese cleaver. It was about twenty bucks and has given me great service for about as many years.

I went to the local Asian supermarket and got a no-name Chinese cleaver. It was about twenty bucks and has given me great service for about as many years.

Back