Looking for a good 2x72 belt grinder

Awesome! Thanks for the input. This might also help the post so ill ask it here, should knifemakers invest in vfds? And 2hp motor ?

I'll put it this way: I don't know ANYBODY, who, after having purchased a VFD setup, ever regretted the purchase, or traded it in for step pulleys or a single speed set up. Within the first day of setting up a VFD on my grinder, I was kicking myself for not having bought it sooner. It's definitely a game changer.

As for the HP, that's a bit of an on going debate. Some guys will tell you that you shouldn't have less than 3hp running at 10,000 SFPM if you're gonna grind knives. Other guys do just fine with 1hp machines. If you have 220VAC available, I'd personally go with the 2hp setup, and you'll probably never feel the need for more. If you only have 110VAC in your shop, you'll be limited to 1.5hp. I'd still get a 2hp VFD like the KBAC 27d, which will give you 1.5hp at 110VAC, but still give you room for upgrading down the road, if you get 220VAC ran in your shop.

If you have 220VAC, you may also choose to go with the aforementioned 3hp setup, for just a little bit more money, but personally I've never felt the need to have more than the 2hp I use. YMMV.

Regardless of what you choose, a VFD is money very well spent, and I wouldn't grind without one anymore.

Iron Creek grinders are probably the best bang for your buck right now. You get a great grinder for about 2 grand.

Back