Looking for a good camp hatchet/axe

Sorry if this thread has already been posted but I have done a bit of searching and can't find anyhing related. I inherited my grandfather's wood handled hatchet and am considering upgrading to a more modern camp hatchet and need some suggestions. If there is a current thread please provide the link and I won't waste anyone's time. Thanks.

Gerber camp axe. Works every time.

I have three of the Fiskars/Gerber (same hatchet) hatchets in the small and medium sizes. I also have a Wetterlings 14" hunters hatchet. The wetterlings is the one I grab every time. They chop about the same (if you thin the edge on the Gerber) but the Wetterlings just seems to feel better when it hits the log. If you want a nice tough new-age materials hatchet the Fiskars/Gerber is great. If you also want traditional materials, the Wetterlings is a great hatchet as well. Both are great choppers.

I inherited my grandfather's wood handled hatchet...

I'll say why not use this one? Unless it's completely trashed, re-handle it, re-work the edge, clean it up, whatever, and get it out there. I'm sure your Grandfather would approve.:)

I give a huge :thumbup: to Fiskars!
I have their axe and hatchet. i have some other garden tools from them as well.
The hollow handles on the hatchet and axe keep the overall weight down, but it still has the weight where it counts. :D
Comes with a lifetime warranty too, if you ever happen to break the handle.
They're pretty tough to break though. :thumbup:

a friend of mine gave me one of the small gerber hatchets, great around my camp for spliting "fat lighter" aka kindling:thumbup: , chopping off a wild turkeys legs,opening up a deer chest cavity........the list goes on & on.....:D :D ...

I think I'm going to take Blue Sky's advice, rehandle Grandpa's, and use the money elsewhere. Of course by elsewhere I mean on another knife or maybe a hawk. Thanks to all for the input.

Back