Looking for a good EDC knife under $100

I am looking for a good EDC knife under $100.
If anyone has any experience with or recommendations that would be great.

Thanks, Ian

I am looking for a good EDC knife under $100.
If anyone has any experience with or recommendations that would be great.

Thanks, Ian
That's a pretty broad question. You'll get recommendations all over the map. If you narrow it down to some preferences you will get better advice. Things like blade length, steel preferences, and handle material.

Just as a general recommendation, spyderco delica or the larger endura are always a good choice.

Any particular locking mechanism you favor? Do you have preferences on weight or method of carry (fixed w/ sheath vs folding w/ pocket clip or no clip)?

Any of the large knife dealers like BladeHQ or Knifecenter have a ton of ways to narrow their selection down - price, blade steel, blade style/pattern, manufacturers, designers, lock types etc. Also the what are you carrying today or knives & ____ threads and marketplace are good places to see what people on the forum are acquiring & carrying

Last edited:
Depends on what you like. More traditional there are Case and Buck quality folders. Spyderco has quality one hand openers with various locks. Kershaw has very well constructed US-made assisted flippers with liner lock. Cold Steel has solid Taiwan made folders. Victorinox makes great multi-tool folding knives for under $100.

For myself I would probably choose a Spyderco Endura.

A BK14, some of the OE scales (comes with 2 sets - black and orange) and a KSF pocket sheath and you can also likely get a custom kydex sheath made for cross-draw belt carry or just run some paracord through the stock sheath for the same effect.

Alternately, you can get a delica of your choosing (I prefer. The Salt 2 serrated) and a deep pocket clip for IWB carry and ALSO get a Gerber EAB as a Wharncliffe backup or for harder, more abusive (on concrete) use.

The options I like:

From Spyderco:
Para 3 LW
Native 5 LW
Endura 4
Delica

From OKC:
Rat 1 or Rat 2 in D2

From Buck:
347 or 342

From Cold Steel:
American Lawman

From Esee/BRK:
Avispa

From Lionsteel:
Big Opera

My "top 3 choices": Lawman, Endura and Big Opera.

I am looking for something light weight with a single blade length of 2.5 to 3 inches. Don't really know what a good steel would be, just something that is reasonable to sharpen and holds an edge well. G10 or aluminum scales. One hand opening or spring assisted. A deep carry pocket clip would be nice. Currently I carry a leatherman wave and do not really need all the extra stuff all the time. Dropping the weight and size is what I am looking to do

I have looked at the kizer cutlery begleiter, the crkt helical and the crkt crossbones. Not sure on steel or if these are any good but knives similar to these are what I am looking for.

The Kizer begleiter has VG10 which is a great steel. I handled one and didn’t care for the ergonomics on that one, at all. I think it was because it was much smaller than I thought it would be.

Kizer makes great knives at a great price.

I am looking for something light weight with a single blade length of 2.5 to 3 inches. Don't really know what a good steel would be, just something that is reasonable to sharpen and holds an edge well. G10 or aluminum scales. One hand opening or spring assisted.

I would take a look at Kershaw, they make some nice reasonably priced assisted knives

I am looking for something light weight with a single blade length of 2.5 to 3 inches. Don't really know what a good steel would be, just something that is reasonable to sharpen and holds an edge well. G10 or aluminum scales. One hand opening or spring assisted. A deep carry pocket clip would be nice. Currently I carry a leatherman wave and do not really need all the extra stuff all the time. Dropping the weight and size is what I am looking to do

Well...with g10 or aluminum it's really hard to weight below 4-4,5 oz.

Maybe you should consider the Para 3 LW BUT it´s made with FRN scales. Weights less than 3oz (I think 2.5oz).

It might be too big :D but the Cold Steel Recon 1 (I like the spear point myself) is a great knife for $99.95 .

If you want something smaller :p (I'm on fire today ..) and a under budget (tax would take the Recon over $100) I would suggest ...
- You can't go wrong with a Spyderco Delica 4 FFG, Endela, or Endura depending on what size blade you like/want.
- I really like the Kizer Vanguard Degnan Roach. N690 + G10 for $80ish.

Budget combo!
Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2 in D2 (get the D2 blade) $40ish + Swiss Army Knife (SAK) Explorer (my favorite) $45ish

Weight is not that big a problem when its just a few ounces, I mostly am looking for something lighter then my leatherman.

Weight is not that big a problem when its just a few ounces, I mostly am looking for something lighter then my leatherman.

Then, I would definitely get the Cold Steel American Lawman. s35vn, excellent g10, amazing lock, DLC coated, 3.2 in cutting edge, 4oz and $75-80 (ebay).

Back