1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Looking for a good EDC knife under $100

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ian Brandstetter, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Ian Brandstetter

Ian Brandstetter

Aug 20, 2019
    I am looking for a good EDC knife under $100.
    If anyone has any experience with or recommendations that would be great.

Thanks, Ian

2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    That's a pretty broad question. You'll get recommendations all over the map. If you narrow it down to some preferences you will get better advice. Things like blade length, steel preferences, and handle material.

Just as a general recommendation, spyderco delica or the larger endura are always a good choice.

AntDog likes this.
  3. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Any particular locking mechanism you favor? Do you have preferences on weight or method of carry (fixed w/ sheath vs folding w/ pocket clip or no clip)?

4. Cowboyfromhell666

Cowboyfromhell666

May 13, 2019
    Yep pretty broad question...can't go wrong with spydercos and benchmade...

5. GotSteel

GotSteel Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Any of the large knife dealers like BladeHQ or Knifecenter have a ton of ways to narrow their selection down - price, blade steel, blade style/pattern, manufacturers, designers, lock types etc. Also the what are you carrying today or knives & ____ threads and marketplace are good places to see what people on the forum are acquiring & carrying

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  6. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 1, 2019
    Depends on what you like. More traditional there are Case and Buck quality folders. Spyderco has quality one hand openers with various locks. Kershaw has very well constructed US-made assisted flippers with liner lock. Cold Steel has solid Taiwan made folders. Victorinox makes great multi-tool folding knives for under $100.

For myself I would probably choose a Spyderco Endura.

7. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    A BK14, some of the OE scales (comes with 2 sets - black and orange) and a KSF pocket sheath and you can also likely get a custom kydex sheath made for cross-draw belt carry or just run some paracord through the stock sheath for the same effect.

Alternately, you can get a delica of your choosing (I prefer. The Salt 2 serrated) and a deep pocket clip for IWB carry and ALSO get a Gerber EAB as a Wharncliffe backup or for harder, more abusive (on concrete) use.

8. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Benchmade bugout is also quite a cool knife.

9. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    DocT likes this.
  10. bruno_go

bruno_go

May 19, 2015
    The options I like:

From Spyderco:
    Para 3 LW
    Native 5 LW
    Endura 4
    Delica

From OKC:
    Rat 1 or Rat 2 in D2

From Buck:
    347 or 342

From Cold Steel:
    American Lawman

From Esee/BRK:
    Avispa

From Lionsteel:
    Big Opera

My "top 3 choices": Lawman, Endura and Big Opera.

Cscotttsss likes this.
  11. bruno_go

bruno_go

May 19, 2015
    The price on stores BRAND NEW is above $100

12. Ian Brandstetter

Ian Brandstetter

Aug 20, 2019
    I am looking for something light weight with a single blade length of 2.5 to 3 inches. Don't really know what a good steel would be, just something that is reasonable to sharpen and holds an edge well. G10 or aluminum scales. One hand opening or spring assisted. A deep carry pocket clip would be nice. Currently I carry a leatherman wave and do not really need all the extra stuff all the time. Dropping the weight and size is what I am looking to do

Mingecutter likes this.
  13. xraso

xraso Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Spyderco Para 3 or Para 3 LW
    /micdrop

14. Ian Brandstetter

Ian Brandstetter

Aug 20, 2019
    I have looked at the kizer cutlery begleiter, the crkt helical and the crkt crossbones. Not sure on steel or if these are any good but knives similar to these are what I am looking for.

15. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    The Kizer begleiter has VG10 which is a great steel. I handled one and didn’t care for the ergonomics on that one, at all. I think it was because it was much smaller than I thought it would be.

Kizer makes great knives at a great price.

16. GotSteel

GotSteel Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I would take a look at Kershaw, they make some nice reasonably priced assisted knives

17. bruno_go

bruno_go

May 19, 2015
    Well...with g10 or aluminum it's really hard to weight below 4-4,5 oz.

Maybe you should consider the Para 3 LW BUT it´s made with FRN scales. Weights less than 3oz (I think 2.5oz).

18. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It might be too big :D but the Cold Steel Recon 1 (I like the spear point myself) is a great knife for $99.95 .

If you want something smaller :p (I'm on fire today ..) and a under budget (tax would take the Recon over $100) I would suggest ...
    - You can't go wrong with a Spyderco Delica 4 FFG, Endela, or Endura depending on what size blade you like/want.
    - I really like the Kizer Vanguard Degnan Roach. N690 + G10 for $80ish.

Budget combo!
    Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2 in D2 (get the D2 blade) $40ish + Swiss Army Knife (SAK) Explorer (my favorite) $45ish

19. Ian Brandstetter

Ian Brandstetter

Aug 20, 2019
    Weight is not that big a problem when its just a few ounces, I mostly am looking for something lighter then my leatherman.

20. bruno_go

bruno_go

May 19, 2015
    Then, I would definitely get the Cold Steel American Lawman. s35vn, excellent g10, amazing lock, DLC coated, 3.2 in cutting edge, 4oz and $75-80 (ebay).