Looking for a good monocular, $150-$300

Hey, I'm looking to buy a good quality monocular in the ballpark range of like $150-$300. I was hoping some of you guys might have some experience with monoculars and could point me in the right direction, at least brand-wise. I'm looking for one that comes in a case or something I can put on my belt, since my pockets are already full of other EDC stuff.

In terms of magnification, I'm honestly not too sure. I've read from others who EDC monoculars that viewing becomes difficult with too high of a magnification, but I'm not sure what is too high.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The Minox Macroscope 8x25 is at the lower end of your price point and, IMO, optically best of the bunch by a good margin. The Vortexes are poor to OK and not comparable; the Minox is appreciably better than the much pricier Zeiss and Leica monoculars, too. But the latter are as good as you can expect, given the design limitations of 8x20 roof prism (shaky in-hand as you note), and they are very well-built and very, very tiny. (Of the these two, I prefer the Leica although most would probably prefer the Zeiss.) The 8x25 Minox is bigger than most other monoculars but still smaller than the smallest compact binos. The case is kinda crappy -- basically a lined pouch with synch-strap top. It does have a riveted hole at the top of the pouch, so you could attach it with a biner or similar, but no belt loop built-in. If you want to go with a roof prism rather than porro design without breaking the bank, the new Opticron BGA 8x42 looks decent, although I haven't yet handled it. (On the big side, too: longer and twice as heavy as the 8x25 Minox Macroscope.) Eagle Optics has a separate section for monoculars, FYI.

I carry a Zeiss 8X20 roof prism monocular. I attach it to my left suspender in a Silicon rubber foam, cloth covered case that was originally made for a MacGuyver type bicycle multitool. The monoc is laid out in a fiberglass barrel. This really reduces the weight. The foldable synthetic rubber eye cup wore out. I cut it off because I wear glasses. The optical performance is quite good for the size of the device. I also have 5X10 and 8X30 Zeiss monoculars in the roof prism configuration and an 8X20 Zeiss monoc in the porro prism set up. The Leica stuff is heavier, being an all metal construction. The Leica monoc has a close up lens. I use one of the 8X30 Zeiss monocs as a telephoto lens for my iphone5. Sometimes it gathers too much light, so I am looking to adapt the 8X20 monoc to the phone.

I've become interested in acquiring a monocular since seeing another thread on a forum about monoculars. I know that the OP is looking for one in a particular price range. I would want something less expensive but I've been gravitating towards the Leica 8 X 20 Monovid monocular. What a great piece of kit! If I take care of it well enough I'm sure it can be passed on to the next generation.

I also recommend the the Minox Macroscope 8x25. I'm not a big fan of monoculars in general (2 eyes better than 1) although I have had many but the Minox is a keeper and I carry one in my field bag daily. It is an odd size and takes up an approximate 4 1/2" x 3" x 2" space in my bag in its pouch with cord lock closure. The pouch does not have a belt loop but it does have a metal grommet to which a caribiner can be attached and secured to a belt. I have a NiteIze S-Biner on mine just for that purpose. You could also drop one in a rangefinder or similar size belt pouch for quicker access.

I have viewed but not owned the Vortex Solo 8x25 and 8x36 monoculars and would avoid the 8x25. I think the 8x36 is decent for the street price of about $100 (+$30 for the R/T version) mostly because there not much in the way of quality options at that pricepoint and it has a nice belt clip. I have read on some optics forum that Zen-Ray ZRS 8x42 monocular is a decent option to consider and is in your price range.

I would avoid 10x or greater options unless you plan on using a tripod or monopod to hold them steady plus they generally have a more narrow field of view. My thoughts on larger monoculars like the 8x36 and 8x42 are that they have close to the same footprint as a quality 8x32 binocular which will provide a much better view (binocular vision). I have a 15x50 Vortex Mountain Scope with a belt pouch & tripod that I use hunting as a small spotting scope and it is nice optically but I still bring binoculars along.

I don't have any experience with the Zeiss or Leica monoculars but everything else I have viewed through from those companies is excellent.

Last edited:
Hmm, Leica Monovid 8 x 20 at $500. Probably the nicest optic but also the priciest. Then there's the Tasco 10 x 25 for $7. Lots in between. But you might be interested in the Minox 7 x 42 MD at $120. Weatherproof, compass, ranging reticle. Yeah, that's the one! It is 13 oz. though. Check the NY camera stores on-line for prices/descriptions/feedback. Generally above 10x people recommend a tripod for stability, but for your application 7x or 8x is fine. Good luck.

I find my Zeiss 8X to be a little too much to use hand held. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the 6X Zeiss monocular.

Since somebody raised this 13 year old thread from the dead, the Minox Monocular recommended in it has long been discontinued, just FYI.

Really cant beat the Leica. It is one half of some of their premium small binos.

A Zeiss 6X is where I find the sweet spot for something like this. Minox has good options but, I'm not sure what their current product lineup is.

Back