Looking for a quick release keychain "gadget" holder

Hi guys & girls,

I'm having a slight problem with my "keychain" as it's "filled" with a whole lot off small "gadgets" that I find necessairy like:

Photon II (white or supercharged green)
Sliver Gripper tweezers
Traser Green Glowring
Leatherman Micra
Small Magnesium/ferrocium stick
pocket sharpener from Sterling (carbide/diamonds)
metal match (burning lighter fuel)
ACME 2000 whistle "cutdown" to 3/8"
about 12 assorted keys (home, work etc).

My problem is that whenever I want to use one of them I have the rest of the keychain filling up my hand. I'm looking for a "keychain" that offers a kind of quick release system that lets me quickly detach one of my "goodies" so I can use it without the rest of the keychain cluttering my hand.

Sofar the only thing I saw was a rather heavy keychain that had 6 splitrings attached to little "posts" that could be detached fromm it by pressing a button. This I found at http://www.globetrotter.de/
it's called Spikey Slusselanhanger (Spikey Keychain) and has artikelnumber: yr-09-001

Negative is that's it's rather heavy, 2.4 ounces and only has 6 removable splitrings.

Does anyone know a better solution? if so please let me know it.

Also it would be nice to have it on a "retractable" "holder" I don't know the name in English but it's "equipment retention system" using a 30" nylon coated stainless steel cable and a spring.

Any good ones ? let me know about them because the last one I had (WalMart) had the cable break while I was in the woods with the scouts for a night hike and I was lucky to have a green Glowring attached to it which made finding it in pitch darknes easier.

Best scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

------------------

Here's Triple Aught's version of the retractable keyring:
http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/op_tech.htm

Says it can retract up to 6oz. Don't have any personal experience with it though, but you might be able to contact them about it.

Jerome

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bagheera:

Also it would be nice to have it on a "retractable" "holder" I don't know the name in English but it's "equipment retention system" using a 30" nylon coated stainless steel cable and a spring.

Any good ones ? let me know about them because the last one I had (WalMart) had the cable break while I was in the woods with the scouts for a night hike and I was lucky to have a green Glowring attached to it which made finding it in pitch darknes easier.
</font>

Piet,

I don't have quite as many gadgets on my keyrings but I do share your desire for a solution that would allow easy access to one at a time. It is not an ideal solution but I use small Chouinard caribiners to organize my house, car, & camp keys. The gadgets are either paired (like a Photon & a Ladybug) or on individual splitrings (such as an Asp Key Defender). Although it usually requires that I first take the whole collection in my hand, it is very easy to select only what is needed for the task at hand.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

I like Brian's solution, but I'm not sure how small his Chouinard is. I get small "toy" carabiners, about two inches along the long axis. I thread my belt through one instead of clipping it to a belt loop on my pants, which could tear off. I can put a few split rings on it, and it's easy to select one without even looking.

Esav, FYI, my Chouinard caribiners are roughly the same length at about 2 1/4 inches.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

Check out the Brookstone Quick Release Key Chain for $10. It has 6 rings that can be detached. I suppose you could buy two of these and cram all 12 rings on one holder.
smile.gif
A friend has this key chain and it's pretty cool.

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?sku=218867&world_code=0&category_code=0&subcategory_code=0&quickshop_code=0&search_type=search#

/mel
biggrin.gif

I've been using the Brookstone for a couple of years and I'm very happy with it. I also found the same type of keychain, but made of plastic at a local hardware store. Seems like I paid about $2 for it. At that price, getting extra posts is inexpensive.

You might want to search for "key ring" at http://www.mcmaster.com/.

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

Back