Looking for a small, lightweight hatchet

well im planning on doing a lot of backpacking and camping this summer and will be need a small hatchet to strap to my pack.

not really sure whats out there, been looking at
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302696925&bmUID=1236284638057

and

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/kommerbushpilotsurvivalhatchetand153.aspx

im really not sure if either are good or what to look for, looking forward to your input:)

ps. i have a SOG flash 1 and Benchmade grip that i will be taking with me, those should be sufficient right?

Last edited:
A lot will depend on what you would like to spend, and what your definition of "small" is. Google up Wetterlings, Gransfors Bruks, Fiskars/Gerber and Estwing, take a look, and then you'll have a pretty good idea of what's out there. Come back and tell us what you like, or dislike, and there's a lot of knowledgeable folks here that will be able to guide you better.

IMO, going too small just compromises the ability of the axe/hatchet to do real work, and if your going to carry one it might as well have enough size to be useful. A few extra ounces or inches of handle can make a real difference.

Welcome to BF :)

WETTERLINGS 10H SMALL AXE
excellent tool.
or a 14 in. Fiskars.
all good
buzz

Check out the Fort Turner Hardened Pole Camp Hawk, I have the Hardend Pole Trapper's Hawk & really like It, I know you asked for a Small Hatchet, But I think one of these can do anything a Small Hatchet can "Just A Little Better",

Picture532.jpg

As others have already said --- Something with a longer handle (maybe a Gerber/Fiskars) will do much more work with hardly any increased weight and will be easier on your knuckles.

Check out the Fort Turner Hardened Pole Camp Hawk, I have the Hardend Pole Trapper's Hawk & really like It, I know you asked for a Small Hatchet, But I think one of these can do anything a Small Hatchet can "Just A Little Better",

Picture532.jpg

sorry for the late reply, been rather busy as of late.
but after looking through everything i think that the camp hawk probably would be a better choice then what i listed in the OP, but is about as big as i would want.
ill look into more options, but thanks, now im considering up to a 16 inch handle and around 2 pounds.
the flattend back for hammering is something that i would also really like.

thanks guys, you will probably be seeing more of me soon!

Back