Looking for a specific knife

I'm looking for a good bushcraft/survival knife that has 4 - 4.5 inches in blade length and 3/16 inches thick. I also live in a wet environment so I need something in stainless steel. I tried the Fallkniven F1 but wasn't too impressed with the convex grind. I find scandi and saber more effective. Does anyone know of a knife that meets these specs. Thanks

Not quite stainless, but the Field Knife 2 from Carothers Performance Knives is pretty amazing. It's 3v with their delta heat treat.

Check out their subforum here under the knifemakers section.

6-1024x632.jpg

You want a CPK DEK1 (or Field Knife - FK2)
Other options
Bradford Guardian 4
ESEE 4
Enzo trapper (just under 4")
Check White River Knives

Plenty of options from knifemakers

Hhmoore beat me to it with his recommendation of the ESEE 4. Fits all your numbers, except possibly for the bevel grind.

I know Jeff and the boys like flat grinds, but I'm not sure they're properly Scandi bevel. Hopefully somebody can correct me.

The ESEE warranty is one of the best in all of knifedom, and the final reason to look at them instead of Carothers Performance Knives.....

Is that they're considerably easier to buy. Seriously, some of you guys are ninjas!

Thank you all for these options. Y'all recommended some sick knives. I've been using a mora garberg and I love it but it's not really thick enough for me to trust it as a one tool option type blade

My White River FC5 and Benchmade Bushcrafter are both going to be for sale on this site soon.

R ronflor
Because I like you, I'm going to add one more. I didn't include it in my first post because I thought it was discontinued. (It may be; but it appears that there is some stock still available.) DPx HEFT 4.
I prefer it over the Esee 4 by a large margin... my only regret, now, is that the I bought the version with the black TiCN coated blade. I don't know that I regret it enough to purchase a second one... but i'm thinking about it, now that I see them available.

- I found it to be more comfortable in hand during use.
- The Niolox is run harder than the Esee's 1095 (I can't comment on the 440C option).
- it just seems to perform better in my use. Possibly due to a combination of the aforementioned differences; but differences in edge bevels could also be a factor. (I don't know if the ones available now are like this; but my HEFT 4 came with slightly asymmetric bevels. I don't remember if it was a more acute angle overall)

Sorry - I initially did the post with the picture & list on my desktop. When I looked at it on my phone, I saw how messed up it was. I redid it, minus the blade steel info. All of the knives pictured are at least "semi stainless" OR are available in other steels that should meet your requirement.

R ronflor
Because I like you, I'm going to add one more. I didn't include it in my first post because I thought it was discontinued. (It may be; but it appears that there is some stock still available.) DPx HEFT 4.
I prefer it over the Esee 4 by a large margin... my only regret, now, is that the I bought the version with the black TiCN coated blade. I don't know that I regret it enough to purchase a second one... but i'm thinking about it, now that I see them available.

That DPx HEFT 4 looks like it would make a great truck bag knife.

For Scandi I like Helle.

most are 4"
gt is 4.5"
IMG_0019.jpg

Metric so just shy of 3/16" call it 5/32
Thats my fourth, all blanks.
4" look at Utvaer:

DSC_3033.jpg

What about the Cold Steel Master Hunter? it is the knife that Fallkniven copied and it is a better knife. It is about perfect for your needs.

What is your take on helle durability? Does it compare to a proper full tang knife?

Radius on the transitions helps decrease stress risers.

It is a knife first, baton only if you know the wood and it’s reasonable.

Helle makes high quality and well treated knives.

Yeah do a search for "Cold Steel Master Hunter DLC coated" - although flat ground, the 3v steel is very robust. BUT you would want to get a kydex or leather sheath for it b/c the glass-filled nylon used for their sheath will dull the knife! Glass is harder than steel (facepalm).

Back