Looking for a step by step video or illustration for ray skin, diamond cord wrap

I have a friend that is somewhat new to the knifemaking world. He has been getting better and better as time has passed. He always admires my Japanese customs with ray skin, black cord diamond wrapped handles.
Unfortunately, he hasn't found anyone that can teach him the process. Is there any well illustrated books or even videos that show the step by step process for doing this type of handle work?

If David Dempsey wasn't several hours away we could drive to his house for a lesson!;)

Contact me if you know of some teaching tools for this method.
bimmer1@wfeca.net

Thanks!

Is there anyone in the Florida Panhandle area (between Tallahassee and Pensacola) that has the time to help teach this method?

There may be a knifemaker in our back yard that we aren't aware of.

Hi Bimmer,
Going to move this over to Shop Talk in hopes that there will be more responses there.
Gus

I have seen someone post a link that illustrates several of the steps involved. If you know the Japanese name for this technique and use the search function on this site you will find what you are looking for.

If I can remember the name of it, I'll post it. Good luck to your friend, I think that style is awesome.

hi, I'm newbie but it's called "tsukamaki". try the link below.

personally, I got confused trying to practice. but that's just me 'cos I was too lazy to make the paper triangles.

I just love those same + silkcord wrapped handles!:D

however, does anyone know if they take to water / wet conditions well? logic probably says no....:confused:

http://pages.prodigy.net/tlbuck/tsuka/tsuka.htm

They handle water ok, but not super well. Hardened handles do alot better. If a silk wrapped handle does get soaked just be sure that it has FULLY dried out before storing the knife. If there is even a little water left the silk may start to rot and or mildew.

...will help alot and is an effective way to learn tsukamaki (handle wrapping) and a lot of other knife making related things.You can buy an old, non collectable handle fairly cheap at a Japanese sword show and then unwrap it while video taping. There is also a tape available at: http://www.tokenkonnoart.com/sword.htm

I had a copy of this tape years ago and it was pretty good if you know nothing at all about wrapping. It has some interesting ideas although the production of it leaves something to be desired. Took me a year to get it after I ordered it. :( Things seem to run a little slow at Token Konno but I think it is at least somewhere to start.

Good luck,

Brian

Thanks for the information so far. I had clicked on the section to have email notification sent to me when someone replies to this post. When the moderator moved it the email notification was taken off. I've been waiting for an email to tell me that someone has replied.
I'm glad that knifemaker Gary Bradburn personally emailed me and updated me.:D

I will pass this info. along to my friend.

Back