Looking for budget EDC. <$30

Couldn't you replace the scales on the Buck Slims? I know they are riveted on but anybody could drill those out or grind off the head and replace it with screws or bolts so that's not a real big deal.

I'd get the Opinel No 9, personally. Inox if you don't like a patina on the blade. All of my EDC sized Opies are Carbon Steel and while they will rust if neglected, I find them to be easy to maintain. I've used my Opinels in wet conditions (cleaning small game and fish) with no adverse effects to the pivot, but I did give the pivot area a good soak with Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner after I received it. The No 9 is a good size for EDC, is light weight and can take a scary sharp edge. I have a No. 7 that is over 50 years old, so they will last if you take care of them. If spending a little time taking care of your knife isn't for you, I think one of the Bucks might also fit the bill well.

For $30, you could probably get both the Ka-Bar Dozier and the Opinel. You may have to spend a few bucks more, but it will be close. Both of those are classic bargains. For the Opinel, I would choose the 7 for EDC. The 9 is nice, but too big in the pocket. If you are willing to wear a sheath, the 9 is OK. But based on my experience with Opinels, the 7 seems to be the perfect size for EDC (at least for me). As for the Ka-Bar, nothing really to be said. The lock-up is solid, good ergos, and just a fantastic knife for the price.

Opinels are pretty easy to modify and customize though? If the wood swells couldn't you make a grip out of stabilized wood, micarta, G10, antler/horn, or even a chunk of metal if you wanted to?

Would any of these knives be a good outdoor/bushcraft knife? I don't mean as a main outdoor or bushcraft knife since I already have fixed blades in that role, but maybe as a backup to toss into a bugout bag or two? What would be the top choice for light outdoor duty?

I am looking for a new budget EDC knife. Budget because I do not like to put a big investment into something that is fairly easily lost or stolen. So I am setting the budget to $30. I would prefer a blade over 3" and under 4". No assist (legality reasons). And preferably something that could be customized. My idea of customization is probably different from most peoples. Most wouldn't consider the 112 slim customizable, but as long as i could drill out the rivets, replace the scales, and replace the rivets with screws, I'd consider it customizable. And being easy to clean and maintain is a plus.

OP: I don't have any specific recommendations. Many have already been offered and you have ideas of your own that would be more than satisfactory.

However, to each his own but why would you want to "customize" a $30 knife? Just seems like that would be a waste of $ to me.

It's like over-improving a house beyond comparable real estate values. Better to buy a more expensive knife that's already the way you like it rather than spending more on a cheap knife that no one else will want or pay for, if/when you decide to sell it.

You assume somebody already makes a more expensive knife the way I like it. They don't. I would like to start making my own knives in the near future. Folders, probably lockbacks with better materials. I like the Bucks, but I hate the bolsters. Something like a Buck 110 or 112 with no bolsters, steel liner, high carbon steel blade with a flat, or scandi grind. That'd be perfect, who makes that?

You assume somebody already makes a more expensive knife the way I like it. They don't. I would like to start making my own knives in the near future. Folders, probably lockbacks with better materials. I like the Bucks, but I hate the bolsters. Something like a Buck 110 or 112 with no bolsters, steel liner, high carbon steel blade with a flat, or scandi grind. That'd be perfect, who makes that?

Like I said, to each his own but, if that's the direction you're headed, it's far better IMO to use a knife w/a better foundation than one you can buy for just $30. The 110 Buck at $50 would be an obvious choice.

Would any of these knives be a good outdoor/bushcraft knife? I don't mean as a main outdoor or bushcraft knife since I already have fixed blades in that role, but maybe as a backup to toss into a bugout bag or two? What would be the top choice for light outdoor duty?

The Ontario Rat 1 has been mentioned. That could be used as a back up. I've done it myself.

I dont know about best.......but these are my favorite "modern" under $30.
5u1p9k.jpg

Google for the Smith & Sons Mudbug, which is a lock back Sodbuster in 1095 and made by GEC.

Reactions: NoF
That looks very similar to the Boker Plus Rangerbuster. It's a lockback sodbuster type with a "high carbon steel" blade. It doesn't say which so perhaps they are hiding something.

I am still leaning towards the Opinel, or the Buck 110 LT which is the same size and internals of the 110, but a plastic grip to reduce weight and costs. What I like about these two though is that the grips have a decent amount of width to them so they'd be more comfortable and better suited to outdoor tasks which is where the hardest usage is going to be from. Anything can cut plastic and open packages.

What about the plastic grip bucks as a US made alternative to the Doziers?

I have a 112 Slim with the plastic handle that I use as a work knife. I compare it favorably with the KaBar Dozier in quality and value and it's US made, if that makes a difference to you.

I have a 112 Slim with the plastic handle that I use as a work knife. I compare it favorably with the KaBar Dozier in quality and value and it's US made, if that makes a difference to you.

US made is Preferable. European or at least "western" made would be second. Asian non-Chinese made would be third. And Chinese made would be the least preferable.

Buck 110, Byrd Cara Cara, Ontario Rat, Ontario Utilitac, KaBar Dozier, CRKT Fossil (and many others), many Kershaws, etc.

So, it's $30 or so? Not a whole hell of a lot of dough. You're most likely not going to get better recommendations than have been posted. What will you be buying?

How about a used large SAK, one of the ond-handed ones, like Ranger Grip or Trekker?

Of your originally mentioned ones, I like the Buck 112.

I have an Opinel #6 in stainless I use often, I like it because it is so light and the blade is thin and cuts well, the #8 in either carbon or stainless seems to be a favorite around these forums. I also got the#8 garden knife because I like the drop point. I have heard there is some kind of wax or oil you can put in the pivot and warm up with a hair dryer that helps to prevent the wood from swelling.
You mentioned the knife would be a back up to your fixed blade woods knife, so it should be just fine for light cutting tasks. Any modifications to the handle would really only be for personal tastes. I do not know if there are kits for folders, but a knife kit would be a good way to practice or buy some blades from any of the knife supply stores and some handle materials you would need to cut and shape.

Last edited:
Back